AHCA Whip Count (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:23:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AHCA Whip Count (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AHCA Whip Count  (Read 38118 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: March 23, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »

Sources: House leadership threatens to pull bill to preserve #ObamaCare, and then blame House @freedomcaucus for ObamaCare still being law.
https://twitter.com/mfcannon/status/845020749991743490

This would be... amazing to watch.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »

I'm still scared this will pass somehow, since it's literally being framed as this or ObamaCare Forever.

Well, by the middle of this week, this was Trump's best play.  It's simple game theory; if one side is willing to compromise, and the other side is unwilling to compromise, but both sides need to get something done, the side that is unwilling to compromise will get what it wants, because the side that's willing to compromise will keep bending over to make sure the thing gets done.

tbh, it is a good negotiating tactic once you get to this point on Trump's part, I'll give him that.  My sense is that the awkward collaboration between Paul Ryan and Trump is preventing this from being effective because Ryan keeps capitulating and offering compromises.  If you're going to be the uncompromising person, you have to stick to it absolutely.  Budging at all shows that you're bluffing.  You have to convince everyone in the negotiation (even yourself, if possible!  that's what emotions are for, in part!) that you meant it heart and soul when you say it's "all or nothing".  By offering any compromises and (worse yet) speculating about backup options or pulling the bill, Trump and Ryan are weakening their negotiating positions, because they're signalling that they're willing to negotiate.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 01:37:20 PM »

I'm still scared this will pass somehow, since it's literally being framed as this or ObamaCare Forever.

Well, by the middle of this week, this was Trump's best play.  It's simple game theory; if one side is willing to compromise, and the other side is unwilling to compromise, but both sides need to get something done, the side that is unwilling to compromise will get what it wants, because the side that's willing to compromise will keep bending over to make sure the thing gets done.

tbh, it is a good negotiating tactic once you get to this point on Trump's part, I'll give him that.  My sense is that the awkward collaboration between Paul Ryan and Trump is preventing this from being effective because Ryan keeps capitulating and offering compromises.  If you're going to be the uncompromising person, you have to stick to it absolutely.  Budging at all shows that you're bluffing.  You have to convince everyone in the negotiation (even yourself, if possible!  that's what emotions are for, in part!) that you meant it heart and soul when you say it's "all or nothing".  By offering any compromises and (worse yet) speculating about backup options or pulling the bill, Trump and Ryan are weakening their negotiating positions, because they're signalling that they're willing to negotiate.

Trump literally ignoring his own books's advice. Worst thing you can do is show you're in a position of need.

See, that's why I think it might be Paul Ryan messing things up even more than Trump.  Trump's public signals have all been pretty good and pretty firm, even to the point where he's saying Paul Ryan still needs to put this measure up to a vote even when Ryan doesn't believe he has the votes to pass it.  A lot of the compromising and the waffling and the delaying votes or moving things around has all come out of Ryan's office.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies