More Dangerous: Detroit or Florida?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:41:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  More Dangerous: Detroit or Florida?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well!?
Detroit, MI

Florida

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: More Dangerous: Detroit or Florida?  (Read 1064 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »

Asking since the stereotype of Detroit is of an unlivable, post-apocalyptic 1980s Hellhole, and yet it is Sanchez, not myself, who has been robbed at gunpoint.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:47:22 PM »

I'm biased, but I'm pro-Detroit. For any dangerous pocket of Detroit you can find just as dangerous of a neighborhood in Miami.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:57:03 PM »

Not to mention that (at least in my experience) the hardest hit parts of Detroit are just empty, not dangerous...
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:01:54 AM »

Statistically, the correct answer is Detroit. But Florida's larger cities aren't exactly safe - especially Miami and Orlando. Where I live in Florida has a relatively high crime rate, but it's not too dangerous. In most places you'd feel safe leaving your door unlocked at night. Although in Jacksonville, just a few miles away, I certainly wouldn't advise that.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:20:51 AM »

Statistically, the correct answer is Detroit. But Florida's larger cities aren't exactly safe - especially Miami and Orlando. Where I live in Florida has a relatively high crime rate, but it's not too dangerous. In most places you'd feel safe leaving your door unlocked at night. Although in Jacksonville, just a few miles away, I certainly wouldn't advise that.

People do that?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 01:03:27 AM »

People do that?

Yes, in fact, the same people who say we should close the border because they love the people inside
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 01:13:20 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2017, 01:15:15 AM by Delegate J_American »

People do that?

When my dad was alive, we'd do it often here. It wasn't anything we really worried about. Like I said in a different thread, some of my neighbors often leave their garage doors open at night near the street with some valuables inside. I even sleep on the first floor with my window facing the road and leave it wide open on nice nights. Nothing has happened to anyone yet as far as I know.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:36:55 AM »

People do that?
Not in Flarda. It's not as bad as to warrant the Bugs Bunny meme each time but yeah I want to know where J lives. Maybe in a small town like Frostproof, but then again all the migrant workers there would probably have me on my toes due to the number of transients.

The homeless in Tally are the worst I've ever encountered. It's amazing how great this city is aside from this problem, but it remains an issue. Every night I get hit up for money, cigarettes, requests for rides, offers to buy drugs, etc from an increasingly belligerent bunch. Just last month one was in the neighboring Jimmy Johns parking lot following girls up the street begging for money and lashing out at those who declined.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »

People do that?
I often leave the door unlocked even if I go out. I wouldn't want to live anywhere I couldn't do that.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:26:09 AM »

People do that?
I often leave the door unlocked even if I go out. I wouldn't want to live anywhere I couldn't do that.

Wouldn't advise you to move to Israel, then Tongue
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »

People do that?
Lol America
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »

People do that?
Lol America
You can do that in a lot of places here. When visiting Cresson, PA, where my cousins live, I can go from my cousins house to my great aunts across town on foot without worrying about knocking. I can't imagine that in sprawled south Floridian suburbia, less Austin Harouff comes in and eats your face.

BTW I had mutual FB friends with him. Finksed up right?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »

People do that?

Why even have a lock, then?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »

People do that?

Well, obviously I lock my door when I'm gone for extended periods of time...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »

In northern MN we never did.  In fact we didn't even know what happened to the keys at one point.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »

In northern MN we never did.  In fact we didn't even know what happened to the keys at one point.
Yeah, I actually lost my keys last year and didn't bother replacing the lock for 3 months.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »

People do that?

Well, obviously I lock my door when I'm gone for extended periods of time...

This is something you and I have in common. My family don't lock our doors at night or if we're just at work or doing errands, but we do if we go on a vacation or something.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »

Huh, weird. Is my family just particularly paranoid or something? Because growing up, locking the door was just the thing you did every time you left the house or went to bed. Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 04:16:21 PM »

Huh, weird. Is my family just particularly paranoid or something? Because growing up, locking the door was just the thing you did every time you left the house or went to bed. Tongue
Same. We even put down the garage door every time we're not using it, unless we're smoking in there.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »

I have always locked the door although I don't mind leaving the door open if I'm at home on a nice day for some fresh air Tongue
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2017, 04:55:18 PM by Delegate J_American »

People do that?
Not in Flarda. It's not as bad as to warrant the Bugs Bunny meme each time but yeah I want to know where J lives. Maybe in a small town like Frostproof, but then again all the migrant workers there would probably have me on my toes due to the number of transients.

The homeless in Tally are the worst I've ever encountered. It's amazing how great this city is aside from this problem, but it remains an issue. Every night I get hit up for money, cigarettes, requests for rides, offers to buy drugs, etc from an increasingly belligerent bunch. Just last month one was in the neighboring Jimmy Johns parking lot following girls up the street begging for money and lashing out at those who declined.

I live in a rural part of St. Johns County between St. Augustine and Jacksonville. Apparently my town can't even be found online. It's great because you drive for probably 10 miles north or south of here along the highway and won't encounter a single street light; it's practically pitch black and deserted here after 10pm. It's really built up now and it's still like that; I remember moving here 14 years ago and there were nothing but dirt roads, forests, and swamps for countless miles. During the recession a neighbor of ours hunted pigs and turkeys in the woods around here, and there's even a redneck family a few miles away that still don't have any electricity and live in old houses built from the trees they pulled out of the swamps (one of them even built a second story on their trailer and used a stop sign as part of the wall; it was wild to see).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »

I would never consider having the door unlocked unless I was in the immediate process of entering or exiting. It seems absurd to leave yourself vulnerable in that fashion.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »

I would never consider having the door unlocked unless I was in the immediate process of entering or exiting. It seems absurd to leave yourself vulnerable in that fashion.

My neighborhood is very safe, but we lock our doors because we are paranoid.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 07:31:09 PM »

My family has always locked our doors (my mother came of age in the 1980s, when parents were told that kidnappers lurked around every corner), but living in Detroit south of Six Mile and north of Midtown very much obligates one to lock the doors.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 11:03:46 PM »

My family has always locked our doors (my mother came of age in the 1980s, when parents were told that kidnappers lurked around every corner), but living in Detroit south of Six Mile and north of Midtown very much obligates one to lock the doors.
Well dude, it's like the Oakland County Child Killer and stuff. There was some real dark shinks going on there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies