Kentucky Passes 'Blue Lives Matter' Law making it hate crime to attack cops
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:48:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kentucky Passes 'Blue Lives Matter' Law making it hate crime to attack cops
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kentucky Passes 'Blue Lives Matter' Law making it hate crime to attack cops  (Read 2566 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »

Seems like an easier solution would be to just make it illegal to be a cop.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »

"Blue lives matter" is a racist joke of a slogan anyway.
Not everything you disagree with is "racist" Roll Eyes
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »

I think people need to show more deference to the police. The police are not the ones to send one to long prison terms or to Death Row; the courts of law do that.

Because most meetings with the police are at traffic stops, some states have been introducing simulated traffic stops in driver's training. Having been stopped four times in the last ten years (three for speeding and one for suspected DUI -- It was 1AM, I was tired upon leaving the hospital after taking my father there, and a traffic sign confused me -- and I saw a car with its lights out and was concerned that it was someone planning to rear end me in an insurance fraud... the car was a state police car whose driver was on "drunk patrol". I had not been drinking, which the state trooper quickly ascertained after pulling me over).

Drive sober or get pulled over? Drive sober and you still might get pulled over.   
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »

Fck bootlickers.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2017, 07:46:01 PM by Mopsus »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Does Kentucky even have enough minorities for you to call their police officers terrorists?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »

Do we have a hate crimes statute for attacking people for having 'noble' professions?

Many criminals think it acceptable to attack and even kill people for being prostitutes. Should we have a hate crimes statute for that?

Ethnicity, race, religion, handicap, social class, and gender identity might be cause to have protections against crimes directed at people for what they are. Genocide and genocide-like crimes are the definitive hate crimes, and the path to those crimes begins with smaller-scale hate crimes.

Hate crimes statutes are ordinarily leveled at crimes less egregious than murder.  I can see how "Class of '20" or "Eddie + Susan 4ever" as graffiti are much less troublesome than a swastika or Nazi slogans daubed on 'Temple Beth Shalom'. "Off a Pig Today" on a cop's property? Interesting comparison. 

Isn't the theory behind hate crimes legislation the idea that someone is terrorizing all members of a group through their actions?  In that case I don't see why we wouldn't have those protections for prostitutes.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 11:15:02 PM »

Funny how you never have any White people showing up to interject by declaring "all lives matter" when "blue lives matter" laws are being discussed.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 02:31:57 AM »

Do we have a hate crimes statute for attacking people for having 'noble' professions?

Many criminals think it acceptable to attack and even kill people for being prostitutes. Should we have a hate crimes statute for that?

Ethnicity, race, religion, handicap, social class, and gender identity might be cause to have protections against crimes directed at people for what they are. Genocide and genocide-like crimes are the definitive hate crimes, and the path to those crimes begins with smaller-scale hate crimes.

Hate crimes statutes are ordinarily leveled at crimes less egregious than murder.  I can see how "Class of '20" or "Eddie + Susan 4ever" as graffiti are much less troublesome than a swastika or Nazi slogans daubed on 'Temple Beth Shalom'. "Off a Pig Today" on a cop's property? Interesting comparison. 

Isn't the theory behind hate crimes legislation the idea that someone is terrorizing all members of a group through their actions?  In that case I don't see why we wouldn't have those protections for prostitutes.

We would be better off to legalize and regulate prostitution. Prostitutes are usually victims. It would be better if they could turn to the cops for protection than to pimps for survival.   
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 02:55:16 AM »

I had no idea cops are race/religion/sexual orientation/ideology
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 03:04:41 AM »

Funny how you never have any White people showing up to interject by declaring "all lives matter" when "blue lives matter" laws are being discussed.

Blue Lives Matter is effectively a troll comment. I would reply with All Lives Matter if I thought the "underlying principle" really merited any kind of a serious reply at all. As it is, poking holes in the logic of this law is easy enough already.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies