Erdogan: Europeans won't walk the streets safely until they respect Turkey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:59:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Erdogan: Europeans won't walk the streets safely until they respect Turkey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Erdogan: Europeans won't walk the streets safely until they respect Turkey  (Read 1422 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2017, 05:29:59 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/erdogan-europeans_us_58d28aa7e4b0b22b0d18b361?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh-huh... Erdogan being able to campaign for a powergrab in Europe = human rights /democracy.

Bad timing for this comment?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2017, 07:17:47 PM by Cory »

Erdogan is a dangerous lunatic and the EU should impose sanctions upon for his threatening behavior.

Turkey is not a real ally of the West and we should consider revoking their NATO membership. We should continue to increase arms shipments and other military aid to the YPG and covertly do whatever we can to sabotage Turkey's relations with Russia.

This has just utterly gotten out of hand.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »

Our esteemed NATO "ally"
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:29:04 PM »

Turkey is not who we thought they were.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:34:09 PM »

Turkey is not who we thought they were.

I feel vindicated for suspecting Erdogan will be a problem since he came to power.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:51 PM »

Erdogan is a dangerous lunatic and the EU should impose sanctions upon for his threatening behavior.

Turkey is not a real ally of the West and we should consider revoking their NATO membership. We should continue to increase arms shipments and other military aid to the YPG and covertly do whatever we can to sabotage Turkey's relations with Russia.

"Let's f*k with our enemy by giving weapons and aid to the rebel group they're fighting" gave us Al Qaida.

The EU also needs to safeguard the refugee deal at all reasonable costs. We can't risk a repeat of the chaos of 2015.

Official sanctions aren't necessary anyway - European tourists are staying away in droves and leading Turkey into a deep recession.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:20:04 AM »

"Let's f*k with our enemy by giving weapons and aid to the rebel group they're fighting" gave us Al Qaida.

I've been always highly sceptical about ideas like this (putting this mildly), but I don't see a parallel between Al Qaeda and the YPG.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »

“If Europe continues this way, no European in any part of the world can walk safely on the streets. We, as Turkey, call on Europe to respect human rights and democracy,” Erdogan said at event for local journalists in Ankara.
The irony of these two sentences... Cheesy

Such a shame the coup wasn't successful.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2017, 09:25:52 AM by ApatheticAustrian »

btw...

can someone here speak turkish well enough to confirm those sentences?

i have read them several times and this is by far the most despicable thing i have heard this year....
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »

can someone here speak turkey well enough to confirm those sentences?
*gobble*
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »

can someone here speak turkey well enough to confirm those sentences?
*gobble*

i love you! XD
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »

“If Europe continues this way, no European in any part of the world can walk safely on the streets. We, as Turkey, call on Europe to respect human rights and democracy,” Erdogan said at event for local journalists in Ankara.
The irony of these two sentences... Cheesy

So much changed since the days a bunch of junior officers could stage a coup and then hang the outset PM.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 06:42:02 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »

As much as it pains me... this.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 08:21:13 PM »

Sometimes I hate being right.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »

Even coups against certifiably awful leaders can lead to even worse military juntas, my country's last military dictatorship is all the evidence you need
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »

Even coups against certifiably awful leaders can lead to even worse military juntas, my country's last military dictatorship is all the evidence you need

Don't waste the energy on your typing fingers.

I tried to make this argument last time when the coup attempt was happening and was laughed out of the room.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »

I tried to make this argument last time when the coup attempt was happening and was laughed out of the room.

your argument is valid -  since some time has passed since the failed coup i agree now. it's just that a slow-mo coup IS happening in turkey, day after day and the failed coup was just a good excuse to accelerate the speed and unveil their intentions. seems like a choice between a fast and a slow death.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »

With Erdogan you know for sure that Turkey is becoming an Islamic dictatorship. A Kemalist junta, from my point of view, is almost always preferrable and is most likely to be only temporary.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »

your argument is valid -  since some time has passed since the failed coup i agree now. it's just that a slow-mo coup IS happening in turkey, day after day and the failed coup was just a good excuse to accelerate the speed and unveil their intentions. seems like a choice between a fast and a slow death.

To be frank, I'm not really sure what is to be done (if anything at all). It's obviously a complicated situation and I doubt there is a "solution" that won't result in some form of human suffering.

It's just that it pains me to see such quick acceptance for a coup with so many examples of those things making everything worse. And yes, both Alex and myself come from a country where the pre-coup government was a sponsor of state terrorism and the situation on the ground (the economy, the quasi civil war) was comparable, probably even worse than that of Turkey now, where people and politicians alike were clamoring for a coup and when it happened it turned out to be worse (almost even got us into a war with Chile).

Well, we tend to be more cautious I guess.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »

Soon.

seb_pard
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »

your argument is valid -  since some time has passed since the failed coup i agree now. it's just that a slow-mo coup IS happening in turkey, day after day and the failed coup was just a good excuse to accelerate the speed and unveil their intentions. seems like a choice between a fast and a slow death.

To be frank, I'm not really sure what is to be done (if anything at all). It's obviously a complicated situation and I doubt there is a "solution" that won't result in some form of human suffering.

It's just that it pains me to see such quick acceptance for a coup with so many examples of those things making everything worse. And yes, both Alex and myself come from a country where the pre-coup government was a sponsor of state terrorism and the situation on the ground (the economy, the quasi civil war) was comparable, probably even worse than that of Turkey now, where people and politicians alike were clamoring for a coup and when it happened it turned out to be worse (almost even got us into a war with Chile).

Well, we tend to be more cautious I guess.
Yes, the banalization of a coup here is really hard to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNfcjkL37zE

This is video of Patricio Aylwin (first chilean president after Pinochet and one of the leaders of the opposition against his dictatorship) supporting the coup against Allende. He was quite sure that the army would give him the power right away after the coup (as most of christian democrats). He was very wrong.

A military junta is a pandora's box.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 12:25:30 AM »

"Retaking"
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 01:22:14 AM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/325798-turkey-looking-to-use-referendum-to-pursue-eu-membership

Lol
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies