After 2020 will the progressive movement be dead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:28:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  After 2020 will the progressive movement be dead
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: After 2020 will the progressive movement be dead  (Read 5724 times)
Medal506
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:13 PM »

If Elizabeth Warren is the Democratic nominee for president in 2020 and she get blown out in the general election by Donald Trump will the Progressive movement be dead?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »

No. People don't just stop holding political views en masse just because they lost an election.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »

No.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »

I doubt it. Millennials don't look to be moderating or shifting their views anytime soon and they're gonna make up an even bigger share of the electorate in 2020 and an even bigger share than that in 2024.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »

Idiot question.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »

I doubt it. Millennials don't look to be moderating or shifting their views anytime soon and they're gonna make up an even bigger share of the electorate in 2020 and an even bigger share than that in 2024.
Virtually every Millennial could vote in 2016, the only ones that couldn't were the youngest 2-3 years of it. 2000-2001 and later is Generation Z, which is much more conservative than Millennials are. Gen Z kids are too young to remember Bush and virtually all were born after Clinton, so their actions and policies have absolutely zero resonation with them.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:59:48 PM »

Virtually every Millennial could vote in 2016, the only ones that couldn't were the youngest 2-3 years of it. 2000-2001 and later is Generation Z, which is much more conservative than Millennials are. Gen Z kids are too young to remember Bush and virtually all were born after Clinton, so their actions and policies have absolutely zero resonation with them.
Yeah, but being able to vote isn't the same thing as being likely to vote. People are naturally more likely to vote as they get older, so more and more millennials will be showing up to the polls one way or another. Also, the more old people die, the larger the share of the electorate that millennials make..
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:12:41 PM »

Yeah, but being able to vote isn't the same thing as being likely to vote. People are naturally more likely to vote as they get older, so more and more millennials will be showing up to the polls one way or another. Also, the more old people die, the larger the share of the electorate that millennials make..
Also the accusation generation Z is "more conservative" is not really well founded
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 10:00:50 PM »

I associate the word with wishy washy wet wimpish liberalism anyway, so w/e.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:02:06 PM »

Even if Warren does get blown out by Don (highly doubtful, considering polarization), the progressive movement would still live on because many of its ideas and proposals--on campaign finance reform, health care, etc.--are widely accepted by the American people.  I don't know how the campaign would play out, nor how the overall political and economic environment will be, but I still don't see how the loss of one imperfect political figure against an incumbent would spell doom for the left in this country.  I mean, did conservatism die when Mitt Romney lost?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:08:22 PM »

Also the accusation generation Z is "more conservative" is not really well founded
The whole myth was created because we're considered more selfish than other generation but that doesn't necessarily translate to Republican votes. Trump did worse among 18-20 then Romney.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:32 PM »

But but that one poll! Everyone knows that 15-year-olds keep the exact same political views throughout their lives. Also YouTube comments!
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »

But but that one poll! Everyone knows that 15-year-olds keep the exact same political views throughout their lives. Also YouTube comments!

Hopefully these kids change their views when they get to college and talk to a Muslim person that's not a charicature conjured up by their favorite YouTuber Paul Joseph Watson.

I still stand by my signature for now.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 11:08:15 PM »

Hopefully these kids change their views when they get to college and talk to a Muslim person that's not a charicature conjured up by their favorite YouTuber Paul Joseph Watson.

I still put my stock on the results of the scholastic poll. It showed Hillary dominating with students. It's not damning evidence either way but a poll's a poll, and with such little hard evidence out there I think people need to stop the Gen Z panic.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:12 PM »

I still put my stock on the results of the scholastic poll. It showed Hillary dominating with students. It's not damning evidence either way but a poll's a poll, and with such little hard evidence out there I think people need to stop the Gen Z panic.

True. The youth are always so apathetic to voting that even if only 30% of them are very left wing (or very right wing), those who are politically engaged early on will do a great deal to steer the direction of this Generation.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the most conservative generation since those born before WWII, or the most liberal generation in human history. Either is plausible at this point.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:26 PM »

Liberals and conservatives are always reinventing themselves. It seemed like the conservative movement was dead in 2016 and now they're more powerful than ever.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »

True. The youth are always so apathetic to voting that even if only 30% of them are very left wing (or very right wing), those who are politically engaged early on will do a great deal to steer the direction of this Generation.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the most conservative generation since those born before WWII, or the most liberal generation in human history. Either is plausible at this point.
Also I my personal think yt comment sections an the alt-right are more on millennials then generation z. In my experience the worst of the alt-right are millennials due to the huge liberalzation of this generation meant the people who went right went hard right
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 12:01:19 AM »

Did it die with McGovern?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 06:24:57 AM »

If Trump does some of the things on social issues he says he'll do, I highly doubt it. We're stronger than ever.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 07:14:07 AM »

What was the age range of those surveyed? Scholastic is only used in elementary schools, and there's zero credibility in terms of who a seven year old voted for. There's plenty of younger kids out there who vote for a certain candidate "because mommy and daddy like them."
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 07:31:47 AM »

What was the age range of those surveyed? Scholastic is only used in elementary schools, and there's zero credibility in terms of who a seven year old voted for. There's plenty of younger kids out there who vote for a certain candidate "because mommy and daddy like them."
It ranged from k-2 to grade 12, so it featured students from a lot of age groups. Keep in mind, this survey isn't incredibly scientific, but the results show her winning states like Texas and Idaho so I'd say there's some merit in looking at how much the margins compare to the actual results. http://election.scholastic.com/vote/
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »

Yeah, it kinda did...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »

No.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »

Liberals and conservatives are always reinventing themselves. It seemed like the conservative movement was dead in 2016 and now they're more powerful than ever.

It seemed like the conservative movement was dead in 2016? Huh
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »

I remember in 2008 there were pundits and such acting similarly to Republicans in this election, saying the other wide would never win again. Except there is even less ground to stand on this time as Trump didn't win the PV.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies