Where is Trump the moderate now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:05:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Where is Trump the moderate now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where is Trump the moderate now?  (Read 2413 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »

Remember during the 2016 presidential election season when Trump is supposedly to the left of many Republicans on many issues?

Well, where is Trump the moderate now?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »

Some left-ish things he's done that I can think of right now:
1. Kept Obama's LGBTQ protections for federal employees.
2. Killed TPP (this is more "populist" than left wing but I guess it counts).

And that's pretty much all that comes to mind at the moment. Maybe there's more I'm unaware of.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:55:09 AM »

Moderation=/=Sanity
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:27:55 PM »

Trump's isn't a moderate. His positions just change along with his mood.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »

This health care bill isn't very conservative
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »

Yes it is, it and Obamacare are inherently conservative.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »

The Democrats could make deals if they weren't such nasty people sulking over losing the 2016 election.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »

The Democrats could make deals if they weren't such nasty people sulking over losing the 2016 election.

They'll have their chance now, if they can just see this.

Trump's master stroke was to isolate the Freedom Caucus, who wish to repeal the whole of Obamacare and replace it with nothing.  Lots of ordinary Republicans that say they hate Obamacare would be fuming if the GOP repealed the AHCA's provisions on pre-existing conditions and on allowing adult children up to age 26 on your policy.  There's a deal to be made, because the Democrats know that Obamacare needs a fix and needs GOP help to do it.
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »

Its just bad in a Moderate Conservative type of ideological way.
hopper
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »

ObamaCare wasn't conservative. The Dems went way too far with ObamaCare. They should have passed things piecemeal and see how each reform worked but they didn't.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 07:55:54 PM »

Trump's master stroke was to isolate the Freedom Caucus, who wish to repeal the whole of Obamacare and replace it with nothing.  Lots of ordinary Republicans that say they hate Obamacare would be fuming if the GOP repealed the AHCA's provisions on pre-existing conditions and on allowing adult children up to age 26 on your policy.  There's a deal to be made, because the Democrats know that Obamacare needs a fix and needs GOP help to do it.

That wouldn't work unless we repealed Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security too.  Every last entitlement needs to go!!  The government is trying to put a BandAid on poverty instead of curing it by not intervening AT ALL in the economy and doing everything it can to force strong family values.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »

Well this would be an easier deal maker if the Republicans nominated John Kasich, Marco Rubio, or Jeb Bush. Yet they nominated a guy that has insulted every demographic in America, especially a lot of the Democrats voting base. This is why they're wanting blood.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 03:48:22 AM »

ObamaCare wasn't conservative. The Dems went way too far with ObamaCare. They should have passed things piecemeal and see how each reform worked but they didn't.

It was literally what Romney passed in MA AND what The Right whined about in place of Hillarycare and it makes what Nixon's proposals look like Eugene Debs' ideas.

It needed the Public Option, and the Dems should've kicked Joe Lieberman harder to the curb while doing more to keep Olympia Snowe.

Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »

And that's pretty much all that comes to mind at the moment. Maybe there's more I'm unaware of.
This.

He's also increasing funding for NASA, implementing infrastructure projects (notably undoing Flint's water crisis), and increasing funds for historically black colleges.

I stand by my point that Trump was the more moderate candidate.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »

Well this would be an easier deal maker if the Republicans nominated John Kasich, Marco Rubio, or Jeb Bush. Yet they nominated a guy that has insulted every demographic in America, especially a lot of the Democrats voting base. This is why they're wanting blood.

Waaaaaaaah! Trump hurt muh feelings. What a bunch of babies and losers.

You might think a big $1 trillion plan to build roads would soothe one's butthurt feelings. I don't know what 'blood' means here, but you don't get to hurt the elected President in our system.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »

Yet they nominated a guy that has insulted every demographic in America

ok lol if that's what you think.

But anyways, to the question:

As noted above, he has still voiced support to LGBT communities through protection of federal employees and continues to say he wants a $1 trillion and paid maternity leave.  In addition, he's nowhere near the war hawks of the Republican Party (McCain, Graham, etc.) or the isolationists of the left (Sanders).  More and more down the road, Trump will continue to push moderate- or populist-type bills and ideas.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »

Trump's master stroke was to isolate the Freedom Caucus, who wish to repeal the whole of Obamacare and replace it with nothing.  Lots of ordinary Republicans that say they hate Obamacare would be fuming if the GOP repealed the AHCA's provisions on pre-existing conditions and on allowing adult children up to age 26 on your policy.  There's a deal to be made, because the Democrats know that Obamacare needs a fix and needs GOP help to do it.

That wouldn't work unless we repealed Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security too.  Every last entitlement needs to go!!  The government is trying to put a BandAid on poverty instead of curing it by not intervening AT ALL in the economy and doing everything it can to force strong family values.

Your proposals would not work because of the greed of the richest.  They will horde more and more money, and they will be framed as "savers" by the pols that defend them. 

I'm a registered Republican.  I'm a socially conservative populist.   
hopper
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »

Jeb Bush didn't want the nomination for a reason. He isn't "tough". Kasich-Maybe but he lacked populist appeal that Trump had. Rubio-Maybe any other Presidential Cycle he would have won the nomination but not the 2016 Cycle. On paper and on the stump he looked like an ideal Republican Presidential Nominee. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »

Your proposals would not work because of the greed of the richest.  They will horde more and more money, and they will be framed as "savers" by the pols that defend them. 

Cool.  And if your response to being an "ignored" (as I have heard you phrase it) segment of the GOP is to turn around and ignore equally important Republican factions (fiscal hawks, the affluent, the business community, etc.), this party is going to remain just as fractured and broken.  Your "socially conservative populist" faction didn't take the party over, they merely showed definitively that they exist.  They're not going to just get their way.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 06:51:37 PM »

Kind of like the gilded age?   Was there no poverty back then either?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 07:34:43 AM »

Waaaaaaaah! Trump hurt muh feelings. What a bunch of babies and losers.

You might think a big $1 trillion plan to build roads would soothe one's butthurt feelings. I don't know what 'blood' means here, but you don't get to hurt the elected President in our system.

You may mock, but you can see that is the root cause of the lack of political cooperation with Dems and Trump.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 12:53:22 PM »

Cool.  And if your response to being an "ignored" (as I have heard you phrase it) segment of the GOP is to turn around and ignore equally important Republican factions (fiscal hawks, the affluent, the business community, etc.), this party is going to remain just as fractured and broken.  Your "socially conservative populist" faction didn't take the party over, they merely showed definitively that they exist.  They're not going to just get their way.

No permanent allies, no permanent enemies.

We didn't take the party over, but the party couldn't have won without us.  That's a fact.  Without voters like myself, Hillary Clinton would be President.

I'll admit, I'm something of a RINO.  I really don't know why you use that moniker "RINO Tom"; you're far more partisan than your screen name suggests.  (That's not meant as a knock, but it IS an observation.)
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »

It was only a matter of time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies