MI-01: Two Marine Veterans Could Face Off in 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:14:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-01: Two Marine Veterans Could Face Off in 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-01: Two Marine Veterans Could Face Off in 2018  (Read 929 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:31:52 PM »

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/22/iraq-veteran-plans-challenge-freshman-rep-bergman/99514132/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »

Not getting my hopes up. Local dems still have some support in the UP sure, but the mainland portion of this district is blood red these days.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »

Not getting my hopes up. Local dems still have some support in the UP sure, but the mainland portion of this district is blood red these days.

Morgan lives in Traverse City, so he's a Troll (from under the bridge connecting the two peninsulas of Michigan).  Bergman is a Yooper from the UP.  I'm not sure that it makes sense for Democrats to nominate a Troll if they need the UP to win.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 12:05:02 AM »

Morgan lives in Traverse City, so he's a Troll (from under the bridge connecting the two peninsulas of Michigan).  Bergman is a Yooper from the UP.  I'm not sure that it makes sense for Democrats to nominate a Troll if they need the UP to win.

Firstly, Troll and Yooper are the best demonyms in the nation.
Secondly, Dems need Yoopers because they don't do well with Trolls. Nominating a Troll might well be to the Dems benefit.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 12:53:27 AM »

Firstly, Troll and Yooper are the best demonyms in the nation.
Secondly, Dems need Yoopers because they don't do well with Trolls. Nominating a Troll might well be to the Dems benefit.

There are more Trolls than Yoopers in the district, at least by population.  The question then becomes whether Yoopers are less likely to vote for a Troll than Trolls are to vote for a Yooper.  As I understand it, the UP has the stronger identity, and might be more willing to vote for one of their own because they are their own.  The Democrats nominated a Troll in 2016 - and lost.

If these are the two candidates, they are from totally different ends of the district.  Bergman is from Watersmeet, near the Wisconsin border.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »

Debating Trolls vs. Yoopers is the best conversation ever
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »

Debating Trolls vs. Yoopers is the best conversation ever
Pages: [1]