What could Bernie do to appeal to minorities in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:18:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What could Bernie do to appeal to minorities in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What could Bernie do to appeal to minorities in 2020?  (Read 1590 times)
MM876
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2017, 05:52:37 AM »

If--and I do understand that this is a big if--Bernie decides to run for the presidency in 2020 and for whatever reason it turns out that he still needs to get minorities on his side to win the nomination, what can he do to gain their support or what would be different about his relationship with minorities this time?
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:02:48 AM »

I think more pushing of his civil rights activism, (photos of him marching along with Dr King, and him being arrested for marching) would be effective. However only if done subtly.

Black voters do not want to be pandered to with the whole "I helped you win equal rights" line. Its annoying and condescending after awhile. He should incorporate minorities into his message somehow, mention them more heavily in his stump speeches. He relied way too much on attacking the Big Banks and the 1% in 2016.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »

Go after David Brock hard for projecting his racism and sexism onto Bernie supporters.  Remind people what he said of Anita Hill and Michelle Obama.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:44:32 AM »

I think more pushing of his civil rights activism, (photos of him marching along with Dr King, and him being arrested for marching) would be effective. However only if done subtly.

Black voters do not want to be pandered to with the whole "I helped you win equal rights" line. Its annoying and condescending after awhile. He should incorporate minorities into his message somehow, mention them more heavily in his stump speeches. He relied way too much on attacking the Big Banks and the 1% in 2016.
That didn't work in 2016.

He needs to go to black churches, hold town halls in black areas, and don't talk about how in order to fix racism we first need to fix income inequality (fixing income inequality doesn't help Jamaal get a job in the first place). He needs to trumpet real policies that are specifically targeted at African-Americans and their communities.

And for the love of god, stop going to Trumpland to try to win back the WWC.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »

He needs to go to black churches, hold town halls in black areas, and don't talk about how in order to fix racism we first need to fix income inequality (fixing income inequality doesn't help Jamaal get a job in the first place). He needs to trumpet real policies that are specifically targeted at African-Americans and their communities.

This strategy was tried & has been a colossal failure for the Dems & they are at their worst position in almost a 100 years. He can win all the primary votes in South, not 1 state is going to the Dems for the GE - A sureshot losing strategy. Dems can't win the Presidency for the next 15 years without the WWC - That is a fact till Texas turns blue. If he can't win the WWC for the GE, he's done & so are the Dems who will lose in a much bigger manner.

And secondly he came to wherever he is as a politician by being everywhere, that is his whole life, struggle, movement, ideals - fighting for the working & middle class - For Blacks & white - Among conservatives & progressives with the same ideas & goals - That is how he has a 87% favorability in VT including huge numbers among conservatives. He loses all authenticity & character & appeal if he somehow abandons the WWC & panders only to the Black community.

And he had specific policies from Marijuana to Community Policing to Body cam to Police Reform & so economic policies - None worked against Hillary & none will work against Biden or Hillary again. The black community has too much affection with Biden or Hillary to vote on the basis of policies.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:21 PM »

My Answer -He was very popular among Hispanics, Asian Americans & Native Americans who are also a minority. His performance was bad with African American's more specifically Southerners.

I think he will naturally do a bit better coming a strong Democratic Senate Leader (Run as D in 2018) & that whole unelectable etc tag wouldn't work. Target Black political leaders, churches, colleges & especially black women by having an early strong ground game. And do what he has been doing for years.

He was at 46% - He maintains that & the new 13-17 year olds should put him over the top. There will be bandwagon effect, when he will start winning as the front-runner, a section of the black community will gravitate towards him.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 04:11:31 PM »

The few polls that have come out show him doing somewhat better among African-Americans than he actually did in 2016. But he obviously needs to do better.

If he really wants to run again (I wouldn't approve, but whatevs) he should spend time pre-campaigning over the next few years in areas with a lot of minorities, and talk more about the issues that minorities tend to care about. I doubt he ever wins minorities in a Democratic primary, but cutting into his opponent's lead could be enough to put him over the edge overall.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »

Nothing more really. In 2016 he was much less known then he will be in 2020 also Clinton's name recognition really won her the AA vote. He sits on at 61% favorability among all Americans, most of that comes from minorites.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »

His campaigning at black churches in SC turned out to be a waste of time with hindsight. Too little bang for the buck. Maybe 2020 will be different without the most establishment non-incumbent candidate ever. Bernie really did all of the right things, he just had the powerful Clintons scaring people into endorsing her, and David Brock's vile propaganda being spewed everywhere to deal with. Heck, you look at Bernie's top supporters, they're actually mostly not white: Killer Mike, Cornel West, Nina Turner, Keith Ellison, Raul Grijalva, Tulsi Gabbard (well, 1/4 not white).
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »

This strategy was tried & has been a colossal failure for the Dems & they are at their worst position in almost a 100 years. He can win all the primary votes in South, not 1 state is going to the Dems for the GE - A sureshot losing strategy. Dems can't win the Presidency for the next 15 years without the WWC - That is a fact till Texas turns blue. If he can't win the WWC for the GE, he's done & so are the Dems who will lose in a much bigger manner.

And secondly he came to wherever he is as a politician by being everywhere, that is his whole life, struggle, movement, ideals - fighting for the working & middle class - For Blacks & white - Among conservatives & progressives with the same ideas & goals - That is how he has a 87% favorability in VT including huge numbers among conservatives. He loses all authenticity & character & appeal if he somehow abandons the WWC & panders only to the Black community.

And he had specific policies from Marijuana to Community Policing to Body cam to Police Reform & so economic policies - None worked against Hillary & none will work against Biden or Hillary again. The black community has too much affection with Biden or Hillary to vote on the basis of policies.
I find this to be obscenely racist. "Blacks have too much affection for Biden and Hillary to vote on the basis of policies"? What the fuck?

Why is it so hard for people who like Bernie to think that people took a look at both candidates and decided that they liked Hillary more?

And who cares that Dems aren't going to win the south? They're not gonna win the corn belt or Utah but Bernie cleaned up in those states and I don't see anyone claiming that their voices shouldn't matter.

The fact of the matter is Dems came within 70,000 votes split between Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania from winning the White House this year. A slightly better debate performance, no Comey letter, an extra trip to Detroit, any of those things could've swung the entire election to Hillary and no one would be talking about this.

And the fact of the matter is Bernie is going nowhere until he can pull a decent amount of the black vote.

His campaigning at black churches in SC turned out to be a waste of time with hindsight. Too little bang for the buck. Maybe 2020 will be different without the most establishment non-incumbent candidate ever. Bernie really did all of the right things, he just had the powerful Clintons scaring people into endorsing her, and David Brock's vile propaganda being spewed everywhere to deal with. Heck, you look at Bernie's top supporters, they're actually mostly not white: Killer Mike, Cornel West, Nina Turner, Keith Ellison, Raul Grijalva, Tulsi Gabbard (well, 1/4 not white).
His most prominent endorsers were decently on-white. But no one in the black community cares about a C-list rapper, they outright hate Cornel West, they don't know who Nina Turner is. Keep in mind, Hillary had a living civil rights legend in John Lewis stumping for her. He's worth about fifty Killer Mikes.

If he doesn't get black support in 2020 (if he runs, which I don't think he will, but that's neither here nor there) then he'll go just as far as he did in 2016.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »

If he doesn't get black support in 2020 (if he runs, which I don't think he will, but that's neither here nor there) then he'll go just as far as he did in 2016.

I don't think that's true.  In 2016, he was running against a single opponent (since O'Malley was little more than an asterisk by the time of the Iowa caucuses).  In 2020, if he faces a larger field, then he could literally gain zero new voters, but still gain the nomination against a divided field with exactly the same group of people who voted for him last time.

In any case, I don't think Sanders (or anyone vaguely from his "wing" of the party, like Warren) will find their staunchest support among black voters in the primary next time either.  As noted here:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/pragmatic-tradition-of-black-voters.html

black voters have historically gone for "pragmatism" over ideological purity in presidential primaries of years past.

But that's fine.  Any candidate, including a winning candidate, is going to do better with some demographics than others.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 07:07:02 PM »

Go after David Brock hard for projecting his racism and sexism onto Bernie supporters.  Remind people what he said of Anita Hill and Michelle Obama.

I'm pretty certain the vast majority of primary voters don't know who David Brock is. Surely a more positive message would be more appropriate? Especially since part of the reason Hillary lost is she focused too much on pointing out her opponent's flaws. And that guy was actually running at the time!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 07:15:34 PM »

I think he needs to do exactly what he did in Illinois and California during the Democratic Primaries, where he performed quite well among racial/ethnic minorities....

Most of his worse performances among minority populations were relatively early on in the primary season, in particular among older African-American voters in Southern states.

I suspect to some extent that was more of a factor of the popularity of the "Clinton brand", than any major issues with a lot of Bernie's policy positions, combined with a significantly higher name recognition factor for Clinton, as well as the "electable factor" that the Clinton campaign used against him early on.

One could certainly make a decent argument that Bernie struggled a bit as well with minority voters in the larger Metro areas of some Northern States as well (NYC & Philly spring to mind), but it does appear that as the primary season developed his numbers performed much better.

Obviously how any hypothetical 2020 contest would play out among any Democratic voter demographics would be dependent on how is running and what themes are accentuated by the respective candidates trying to cobble together a winning electoral coalition.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 11:49:28 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2017, 11:52:18 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Go after David Brock hard for projecting his racism and sexism onto Bernie supporters.  Remind people what he said of Anita Hill and Michelle Obama.

I'm pretty certain the vast majority of primary voters don't know who David Brock is. Surely a more positive message would be more appropriate? Especially since part of the reason Hillary lost is she focused too much on pointing out her opponent's flaws. And that guy was actually running at the time!

If David Brock tries the same sh**t in 2020, his Corrupt The Record propangada machine needs to be attacked repeatedly. Of course David Brock (who ran a SuperPAC that the Hillary campaign directly coordinated with) pissing off Bernie'e supporters is one major reason Hillary lost.

The propaganda seems to have stuck despite that fact that by the time it got around to California, Bernie seemed to be doing better with poor minorities than rich whites. After all, he managed to win very diverse Oakland but get his butt kicked hard in the rich white Piedmont that it surrounds.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 01:23:24 AM »

Go after David Brock hard for projecting his racism and sexism onto Bernie supporters.  Remind people what he said of Anita Hill and Michelle Obama.

If David Brock tries the same sh**t in 2020, his Corrupt The Record propangada machine needs to be attacked repeatedly. Of course David Brock (who ran a SuperPAC that the Hillary campaign directly coordinated with) pissing off Bernie'e supporters is one major reason Hillary lost.

The propaganda seems to have stuck despite that fact that by the time it got around to California, Bernie seemed to be doing better with poor minorities than rich whites. After all, he managed to win very diverse Oakland but get his butt kicked hard in the rich white Piedmont that it surrounds.

jfern is quoted for truth....

There was a whole thread dissecting the 2016 California Dem Primary... Obviously, this will take quite a bit more work for any budding political science major that wants to go into detailed precinct results, but....

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=238320.1050

Bernie appears to have won the Latino vote in the Bay Area, tied in Watsonville areas, performed extremely well and won the working-class Latino voters in many parts of Metro LA.

Asian-American voters, particularly Middle and Upper-Middle Class voters appear to have voted for Clinton by relatively solid margins.... Sanders lost heavily among upper-middle class voters overall, and many of these municipalities are disproportionately Anglo, and to a lesser extent Asian-American.

But, if you look at heavily working-class minority communities in California, it's pretty clear that Bernie performed well across the board, regardless of race nor ethnicity.

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 06:23:19 AM »
« Edited: March 25, 2017, 06:26:26 AM by Shadows »

I find this to be obscenely racist. "Blacks have too much affection for Biden and Hillary to vote on the basis of policies"? What the fuck?

Why is it so hard for people who like Bernie to think that people took a look at both candidates and decided that they liked Hillary more?

And who cares that Dems aren't going to win the south? They're not gonna win the corn belt or Utah but Bernie cleaned up in those states and I don't see anyone claiming that their voices shouldn't matter.

The fact of the matter is Dems came within 70,000 votes split between Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania from winning the White House this year. A slightly better debate performance, no Comey letter, an extra trip to Detroit, any of those things could've swung the entire election to Hillary and no one would be talking about this.

And the fact of the matter is Bernie is going nowhere until he can pull a decent amount of the black vote.

His most prominent endorsers were decently on-white. But no one in the black community cares about a C-list rapper, they outright hate Cornel West, they don't know who Nina Turner is. Keep in mind, Hillary had a living civil rights legend in John Lewis stumping for her. He's worth about fifty Killer Mikes.

If you were a consultant, then that politician's career would be over. For one, just by pure mathematics with the same Black vote, he is almost guaranteed a win if he maintains his earlier vote. Due to various issues - Super-delegates which would not be as lopsided & will be reformed, the Bandwagon effect for a front-runner, poor debate schedule, low name recognition, the socialist tag, the unelectable perception, the independent tag & a range of other factors his numbers were stuck at 46% - Just like Comey or a better debate performance - Any of these factors or even Biden being there would have tilted the race for Bernie (Poll after poll showed Biden taking disproportionately higher vote from Hillary).

The fact that you say the Biden/Hillary thing is racist shows how clueless you are. Joe Biden was the VP of the 1st Black president & almost a brother to Obama. Bill was affectionately called the 1st Black President & Hillary has deep ties to the Black community, Black leaders & Obama. Poll after poll showed among African American voters, one of the key issue was who supports Obama & his policies & about preserving the legacy of Obama - Every poll showed a huge support for that - As a make or break. Why did Hillary get drubbed among Black people in 2008 vs Obama?

No1 has said that Black votes in South doesn't matter - That was a response to your ridiculous comment that he should abandon the White Working Class & go hard for Southern Blacks which clearly is a massive losing strategy in the GE. As I repeatedly said, he should go anywhere & everywhere, whether it is the South or the Mid-West but your strategy of going hard for Southern blacks only was one of the reason Hillary did so bad in the GE !

The fact that you are even arguing about 70K votes in the mid-west shows how ridiculous this is. Thsi was a race to win by a landslide, by 8-10% against Donald freaking Trump. The sooner you realize that a candidate who had massive authenticity issues, lied about everything (only Trump was a bigger lier), was dishonest & untrustworthy (as considered by the voters), handled classified info on her own serve & was under FBI investigation, had legitimate pay to play accusation about her foundation when emails showed her selling access & a range of issues. Her having 0 positive message, no emotional connect, poor strategy & so on.

She screwed up & has destroyed the House, Senate Races & the SC - I don't why people are even arguing about 70K votes lost - It should have never come down to those 70K votes vs Trump !
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »

If you were a consultant, then that politician's career would be over. For one, just by pure mathematics with the same Black vote, he is almost guaranteed a win if he maintains his earlier vote. Due to various issues - Super-delegates which would not be as lopsided & will be reformed, the Bandwagon effect for a front-runner, poor debate schedule, low name recognition, the socialist tag, the unelectable perception, the independent tag & a range of other factors his numbers were stuck at 46% - Just like Comey or a better debate performance - Any of these factors or even Biden being there would have tilted the race for Bernie (Poll after poll showed Biden taking disproportionately higher vote from Hillary).

The fact that you say the Biden/Hillary thing is racist shows how clueless you are. Joe Biden was the VP of the 1st Black president & almost a brother to Obama. Bill was affectionately called the 1st Black President & Hillary has deep ties to the Black community, Black leaders & Obama. Poll after poll showed among African American voters, one of the key issue was who supports Obama & his policies & about preserving the legacy of Obama - Every poll showed a huge support for that - As a make or break. Why did Hillary get drubbed among Black people in 2008 vs Obama?

No1 has said that Black votes in South doesn't matter - That was a response to your ridiculous comment that he should abandon the White Working Class & go hard for Southern Blacks which clearly is a massive losing strategy in the GE. As I repeatedly said, he should go anywhere & everywhere, whether it is the South or the Mid-West but your strategy of going hard for Southern blacks only was one of the reason Hillary did so bad in the GE !

The fact that you are even arguing about 70K votes in the mid-west shows how ridiculous this is. Thsi was a race to win by a landslide, by 8-10% against Donald freaking Trump. The sooner you realize that a candidate who had massive authenticity issues, lied about everything (only Trump was a bigger lier), was dishonest & untrustworthy (as considered by the voters), handled classified info on her own serve & was under FBI investigation, had legitimate pay to play accusation about her foundation when emails showed her selling access & a range of issues. Her having 0 positive message, no emotional connect, poor strategy & so on.

She screwed up & has destroyed the House, Senate Races & the SC - I don't why people are even arguing about 70K votes lost - It should have never come down to those 70K votes vs Trump !

Just think, Tom Dewey just needed another 25k votes in Ohio and California to deny Truman an electoral majority, and 60k to flip Illinois as well for the win. So close for Tom Dewey and his impressive 1948 campaign.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 06:46:46 AM »

I think he needs to do exactly what he did in Illinois and California during the Democratic Primaries, where he performed quite well among racial/ethnic minorities....

Most of his worse performances among minority populations were relatively early on in the primary season, in particular among older African-American voters in Southern states.

I suspect to some extent that was more of a factor of the popularity of the "Clinton brand", than any major issues with a lot of Bernie's policy positions, combined with a significantly higher name recognition factor for Clinton, as well as the "electable factor" that the Clinton campaign used against him early on.

One could certainly make a decent argument that Bernie struggled a bit as well with minority voters in the larger Metro areas of some Northern States as well (NYC & Philly spring to mind), but it does appear that as the primary season developed his numbers performed much better.

Obviously how any hypothetical 2020 contest would play out among any Democratic voter demographics would be dependent on how is running and what themes are accentuated by the respective candidates trying to cobble together a winning electoral coalition.

We have to talk about all areas. In NYC for example, Bernie's best numbers were among Asian Americans (even better than Whites), same in Michigan - Look at Dearborn. Hawaii is full of Asians & Bernie won big. In Illinois, Nevada, CO, MN, the exit poll showed Bernie winning hispanics. He won the native American votes in Washington, Alaska, Oklahoma, etc. It is just that he really did poorly among the black community.

Look at Michigan, Illinois, Ohio etc - He was getting between 30-40% of the black votes while in the South he was being decimated with 10-15% of the Black votes. He improved massively with time or it is perhaps a geographical divide (more likely).

I do think he wouldn't have many of the handicaps that he had in 2016 - Socialist, Independent, Unelectable, perception of being anti-Obama, Northern White guy with no connect to Blacks etc etc.  

In a divided field it will be hard for any candidate to unite the Black vote like Clinton did - Only Booker to some large extent can if he tries to run as Obama II. Biden definitely has the opportunity to unite the black vote, he is Obama's VP & almost a brother & Obama may tacitly endorse him (with many interviews). But Biden did worse than Edwards last time, so it's difficult to predict his support.

The only case where I see a Bernie/Warren losing is in a - Bernie vs Warren vs Booker/Biden with 2 people of the Bernie/Warren wing splitting the votes & 1 guy uniting the Southern black & establishment vote.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 06:53:35 AM »

Oh fycking hell, and fyck off. These type of comment by clintonite hacks are utter cancer, unless you do not care about being a party of the WWC, along with the black and hispanic working class. I know most Clintonites don't care about working class solidarity, class politics, and winning an election.

He needs to target policies that affect policies that affect all working class people get a job, income and fix the drug epidemic sweeping working class america. In addition to this, he needs to speak for racial justice, and speak out against the killing of unarmed black people, stating as these overreach of police brutality could extend to the white working class (which in many cases it has!)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »

Use Tulsi Gabbard who is close to Cory Booker.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »

Jeez the forum is still as stupid as it was a year ago. After 4 years of Trump (assuming he doesn't get impeached) Bernie would be as popular as ever. He has over +90% name recognition now and he was nowhere close to that in early 2016.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »

He has over +90% name recognition now and he was nowhere close to that in early 2016.

HuffPo's poll tracker shows that ~85% of all voters had an opinion of Sanders (either positive or negative) by the time Iowa voted on Feb. 1st of last year.  In fact, it was ~85% at that time, and ~88% right now.

https://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/bernie-sanders-favorable-rating

And presumably even higher than that among people who were actually voting in the Democratic primary.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »

He has over +90% name recognition now and he was nowhere close to that in early 2016.

HuffPo's poll tracker shows that ~85% of all voters had an opinion of Sanders (either positive or negative) by the time Iowa voted on Feb. 1st of last year.  In fact, it was ~85% at that time, and ~88% right now.

And presumably even higher than that among people who were actually voting in the Democratic primary.

And in many states like Newyork the registration deadline was October 2015 which is insane. Media filled the airwaves with Clinton and empty Trump podium coverage and barley any of Bernie especially in late 2015.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 08:40:07 PM »

And in many states like Newyork the registration deadline was October 2015 which is insane. Media filled the airwaves with Clinton and empty Trump podium coverage and barley any of Bernie especially in late 2015.
Instead of bitching about it over a year later how about all of you hack move the hell on.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 12:47:56 AM »

We have to talk about all areas. In NYC for example, Bernie's best numbers were among Asian Americans (even better than Whites), same in Michigan - Look at Dearborn. Hawaii is full of Asians & Bernie won big. In Illinois, Nevada, CO, MN, the exit poll showed Bernie winning hispanics. He won the native American votes in Washington, Alaska, Oklahoma, etc. It is just that he really did poorly among the black community.

Look at Michigan, Illinois, Ohio etc - He was getting between 30-40% of the black votes while in the South he was being decimated with 10-15% of the Black votes. He improved massively with time or it is perhaps a geographical divide (more likely).

I do think he wouldn't have many of the handicaps that he had in 2016 - Socialist, Independent, Unelectable, perception of being anti-Obama, Northern White guy with no connect to Blacks etc etc.  

In a divided field it will be hard for any candidate to unite the Black vote like Clinton did - Only Booker to some large extent can if he tries to run as Obama II. Biden definitely has the opportunity to unite the black vote, he is Obama's VP & almost a brother & Obama may tacitly endorse him (with many interviews). But Biden did worse than Edwards last time, so it's difficult to predict his support.

The only case where I see a Bernie/Warren losing is in a - Bernie vs Warren vs Booker/Biden with 2 people of the Bernie/Warren wing splitting the votes & 1 guy uniting the Southern black & establishment vote.

I didn't realize that Bernie performed better among Asian-Americans in NYC than "Anglos".... that's actually an interesting point that I haven't seen before, and quite fascinating to see not only the original source of the data, but what particular Asian-American demographics in the Big Apple were most receptive to the Bernie message. Looking forward to seeing your source material, since it slipped under my radar, most likely because I was slightly depressed that my "horse in the race" didn't win, and realized after the NY primary the deal was likely over, excepting some massive late shift dynamics in the race, which would effectively have required something of the equivalent of a Bernie landslide in Cali to maybe convince some super delegates to reconsider....

Sure, Dearborn makes sense, and I suspect (Although unfortunately we don't have many data points regarding Arab-American voters overall (Heavily Christian and to some extent Muslim) vs South Asian/ East Asian voters, etc) ) outside of some relatively isolated areas that Clinton significantly won the extremely complex and diffuse "Asian-American" vote by significant margins nationally.

I was looking at the "Asian-American" Democratic Primary vote primarily from a "West Coast" perspective, where if one were to examine certain precincts in the major cities of the West Coast (Seattle & Portland, as well as San Francisco), and not to mention some of the data that I pulled from other places such as Sugarland Texas (Fort Bend County), not to far from where I lived for four years, where overwhelmingly Asian-American precincts basically voted similarly to their Anglo neighbors, it appears that Clinton won among this Demographic overall (Although this is heavily confused since not only are many West Coast Asian-Americans registered independent, and ineligible to vote in the Democratic Primaries (Especially among younger voters) ).

That being said, Asian-American Working-Class and Middle Class populations are harder to identify, since this population frequently much more dispersed, within heavily Anglo or extremely ethnically diverse population centers. Still it's pretty much completely impossible for Bernie to win Oakland California, without a significant Black, Asian, and Latino level of support, especially since the data is well established that upper-income and wealthy Anglos in California, and the Bay Area in particular generally supported Clinton by Yuuuge margins.

So, to wrap back around to the original posters thread....

It is definitely clear that that Bernie's performance improved dramatically over the course of the primary season, with a combination of both greater name recognition, increased dialogue and outreach to a wide variety of ethnically diverse communities in America, as well as much greater receptiveness to the fundamental message of the campaign once it shifted outside of the initial IA/NH/SC and later Super Tuesday.

Bernie if he decides to run, just needs to keep being Bernie. Authentic, town hall Forums in local media markets, addressing the concerns and issues of Working Class America, and stay true to what the fundamental issues are in America, what needs to be done to fix it, and continuing dialogue with various communities from McDowell County West Virginia (Where he was at last week), to Detroit Michigan, Fresno California, not to mention small rural communities of family farmers in places like Minnesota, South Dakota, and Georgia....

He's not a politician.... not a man of rank and privilege, just a humble person who is old enough to get a ton a respect all around the block for speaking his mind, and nowhere close to the typical flip-flop politician that speaks outside of both sides of their mouths for political gain.

It's kind of odd in a weird way.... so many of the Trumpistas still believe that Trump is actually that way, but the reality is that Trump has yet to take one single principled position on any of his key "One Page triple spaced paragraph" key line item "core policy platforms".

Bernie will do just fine if he chooses to run in 2020 among a wide variety of Democratic voters, in fact if the current Trump nuclear meltdown continues, I would not be surprised to see a significant shift in party affiliation numbers come 2018 and then further into 2020, when what really Americans are seeking most is an honest political figure that is not a politician, who can effectively communicate and deliver a message that resonates with a large majority of Americans.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies