N&O: Veto override in North Carolina means judicial elections are now partisan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:06:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  N&O: Veto override in North Carolina means judicial elections are now partisan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should judicial elections include partisan labels?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: N&O: Veto override in North Carolina means judicial elections are now partisan  (Read 1455 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »

Veto override means voters will know judges’ party affiliations

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article140327188.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Basically, the NCGOP did this almost solely as a response to Morgan's (a Democrat) successful State Supreme Court election, where Republicans convinced themselves that he only won because voters thought he was a Republican. As is usual now, they set out to change the way judicial elections because they lost one important election.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:49:24 PM »

Should of elected the other judge.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:22:34 PM »

Man, the GOPNC sounds like a bunch of corrupt sour grapes.

I'm thankful that my state's GOP branch is far more sane compared to them.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »

There shouldn't even be judicial elections, imo.  It defeats the purpose of a judiciary to force them to campaign, and 99% of people don't even know who they are anyway.

If we must have judicial elections, I guess I actually agree with the NC GOP even if their reasoning is revolting.  There is no such thing as a non-partisan election.  That is just silly.  If there is an election with more than one candidate, people are going to campaign.  How else are they expected to win the election, by relying on the people that research and compare the resumes of the judges?

We have judicial elections here in NY, and it's really hard to get info on these races even if you try.  The judge candidates hardly ever say anything of substance in their campaign, just some generic platitudes.  They are supposed to uphold the law, what else are they going to say?  At least with the party labels, it can give people an idea of which candidate might be closer to their views.  Besides, we all know that even if they don't have party labels, either the parties or pertinent interest groups will endorse and campaign on behalf of certain candidates.  So may as well just let everyone know who's supporting what instead of just limiting that information to insiders and activists.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »

That's pretty decent point Siren!

Honestly, the main reason I am against partisan judicial elections is because I am against judicial elections in general, and the partisan labels just serve to help people keep their choices "tribalized." Other than the desire to have at least the feeling of control over judges, I can't see why we'd have a system to elect them. That only seems to create a situation where decisions are influenced by the desire to continue holding office, and judges who may need to make tough decisions may avoid that if they think the public will not like it. That's a huge conflict of interest.

But in this case, the motive alone is enough to make me against it. They don't have any particular reason for wanting it this way other than they lost control of the State Supreme Court and they are now desperately trying to change the rules to ensure they win the seats up next time. It's those kinds of partisan games with election law I hate the most. They can't just lose and vow to work harder next time - no, instead they use their existing power with the state to just change the rules until they do win. It's a sickness America has had for too long.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 01:07:43 AM »

Kookinelli....that racist black guy.....the corrupt McDonnells....yeah, totally sane.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 01:13:13 AM »

Kookinelli....that racist black guy.....the corrupt McDonnells....yeah, totally sane.

But even that seems tame compared to North Carolina.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 01:27:30 AM »

Judicial elections are a terrible idea, though for that matter appointment and confirmation of the judiciary really does not work either.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:31 AM »

Veto override means voters will know judges’ party affiliations

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article140327188.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Basically, the NCGOP did this almost solely as a response to Morgan's (a Democrat) successful State Supreme Court election, where Republicans convinced themselves that he only won because voters thought he was a Republican. As is usual now, they set out to change the way judicial elections because they lost one important election.
Tbh, I think it will backfire on them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 04:12:21 AM »

We actually have non partisan elections for most offices in California. Only federal and state offices are partisan. Of course everyone knew that Gavin Newsom was the Democrat in the 2003 San Francisco mayor runoff, and all the top Democrats were desperately coming in to campaign for him so that he wouldn't lose to Matt Gonzales, a Green party candidate.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 04:43:03 PM »

But even that seems tame compared to North Carolina.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »

We actually have non partisan elections for most offices in California. Only federal and state offices are partisan. Of course everyone knew that Gavin Newsom was the Democrat in the 2003 San Francisco mayor runoff, and all the top Democrats were desperately coming in to campaign for him so that he wouldn't lose to Matt Gonzales, a Green party candidate.

What a mistake that turned out to be.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 05:16:38 PM »

lol nc gop
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »

Judicial elections are already horrifying enough even without partisan labels.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »

There shouldn't even be judicial elections, imo.  It defeats the purpose of a judiciary to force them to campaign, and 99% of people don't even know who they are anyway.

If we must have judicial elections, I guess I actually agree with the NC GOP even if their reasoning is revolting.  There is no such thing as a non-partisan election.  That is just silly.  If there is an election with more than one candidate, people are going to campaign.  How else are they expected to win the election, by relying on the people that research and compare the resumes of the judges?

We have judicial elections here in NY, and it's really hard to get info on these races even if you try.  The judge candidates hardly ever say anything of substance in their campaign, just some generic platitudes.  They are supposed to uphold the law, what else are they going to say?  At least with the party labels, it can give people an idea of which candidate might be closer to their views.  Besides, we all know that even if they don't have party labels, either the parties or pertinent interest groups will endorse and campaign on behalf of certain candidates.  So may as well just let everyone know who's supporting what instead of just limiting that information to insiders and activists.

I agree. A judiciary position shouldn't be involved in elections since the job itself deals with judging fairly and not partisanly (I know that's not a word).

Plus, like Siren pointed out, the candidates don't push themselves out more for the people to know well and these elections often have low turnout anyway.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 08:52:41 PM »

Judicial Elections are a horribly dumb idea to begin with.   
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 04:34:04 AM »

I am so fing done with this state.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States