Confirmation Hearing Attorney General appointee OneJ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:41:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing Attorney General appointee OneJ
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing Attorney General appointee OneJ  (Read 921 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2017, 01:50:58 AM »

Per the Department of Justice bill, I am formally opening a confirmation hearing for OneJ, Governor NeverAgain's appointee for Attorney General.

This thread will contain the entire proceedings of the hearings.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »

Greetings all.

I, OneJ, am honored to take part in a confirmation hearing that will take me to the next step in my career in Atlasia by representing the great South and do many other things that are required as AG.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »

Hello OneJ,

I was excited to learn that Governor NeverAgain appointed you as our official Attorney General for the South. Based upon your history, I firmly believe you'll make an excellent AG who'll dedicate your service to protecting and advancing minority rights and interests. It's our obligation to ensure equal protection under the law and to safeguard vulnerable populations from potentially harmful laws. So, I have just a few questions for you to see where you stand on some important issues.

1. Are there any currently existing laws that you believe deserve review for potential civil rights violations?
2. What's your stance on a woman's right to manage her own reproductive health, including the possible choice of pursuing an abortion or utilizing abortificents?
3. Can you affirm your commitment to LGBTQ rights and interests, including ensuring the rights of transgender individuals to use the restroom of their gender identity and to be protected from discrimination in the workplace or by employers?
4. How will you help to overturn any existing or fight potentially new discriminatory laws that endanger the voting rights of minority communities?
5. What's a piece of legislation, either sponsored or co-sponsored by you, that has advanced the interests of minority communities?
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »

Representative OneJ_,

I have several questions for you related to civil liberties.

1. What is your stance on net neutrality?
2. Are you willing to strongly protect free speech, even when that speech is clearly damaging and negative?
3. What is your view on the constitutionality of mass surveillance?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »

Hello OneJ,

I was excited to learn that Governor NeverAgain appointed you as our official Attorney General for the South. Based upon your history, I firmly believe you'll make an excellent AG who'll dedicate your service to protecting and advancing minority rights and interests. It's our obligation to ensure equal protection under the law and to safeguard vulnerable populations from potentially harmful laws. So, I have just a few questions for you to see where you stand on some important issues.

1. Are there any currently existing laws that you believe deserve review for potential civil rights violations?
2. What's your stance on a woman's right to manage her own reproductive health, including the possible choice of pursuing an abortion or utilizing abortificents?
3. Can you affirm your commitment to LGBTQ rights and interests, including ensuring the rights of transgender individuals to use the restroom of their gender identity and to be protected from discrimination in the workplace or by employers?
4. How will you help to overturn any existing or fight potentially new discriminatory laws that endanger the voting rights of minority communities?
5. What's a piece of legislation, either sponsored or co-sponsored by you, that has advanced the interests of minority communities?
Thank you Delegate Jacobin.

1. If there is one law that I feel deserves to be reviewed is the []South Aborting Regulation Act during my time as a delegate of the chamber.  I feel that in my opinion there isn't enough time for a mother to make the decision on whether or not to keep her child(ren). The government shouldn't be involved with a woman's right to choose as it is her own body. I voted "aye" on the bill because of the support for it from others, but I'm confident that with this group, the woman being allow to choose would improve and I'll do whatever it takes to defend that right.

2. As I've stated in the first question, I definitely support the right for a woman to choose in regards to her own reproductive system and not the government or anyone else.

3. I can assure you that I'm in favor of protecting the rights of LGBT citizens. I believe that the government should not get itself involved in the matters of a trans-male or trans-female using the restroom that they identify with. That shouldn't be a issue when we have other issues to focus on. The same goes to businesses not allowing individuals in on the basis of sexual orientation. That's no where near right. Employees have the duty to serve customers and give them the upmost respect no matter their sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity, etc.

4. Speaking as a minority myself, I understand that sometimes we may not be able to get ahead due to outside factors such as voter suppression. I will fight against voter I.D. laws that don't necessarily make things easier for every citizen to vote and defend things such as same-day registration in some cases or registering before a couple of days before election.

5. I have sponsored a sanctuary cities bill (which ultimately failed). I wanted to make sure that we keep immigrants (who are mostly non-white) in safe areas in order to give them an opportunity to have an easier transition in life. I've learned my mistakes in this bill and am looking forward for improvement on this issue and fight for it.
diptheriadan

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »

Not a delegate, but is the sugary carbonated drink popular in the United States called soda, pop, or coke?
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »

Not a delegate, but is the sugary carbonated drink popular in the United States called soda, pop, or coke?
Not the nominee, but SODA OBVIOUSLY *gets excessively angry*
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »

Representative OneJ_,

I have several questions for you related to civil liberties.

1. What is your stance on net neutrality?
2. Are you willing to strongly protect free speech, even when that speech is clearly damaging and negative?
3. What is your view on the constitutionality of mass surveillance?

Sorry Delegate JTC as I had to leave after I finished answering Jacobin's questions.

1. I am actually in favor of net neutrality in order for businesses to thrive in such challenging environment. It ensures a fair playing field and benefits small businesses and entrepreneurs and helps customers get better accesses to new products, goods, and other services.

2. As a matter of fact, I will protect the right of free speech. Free speech gives every individual to speak her or his mind without having to be punished for doing so. It gives us an opportunity to dish out our opinions with each other while promoting a more open society for all.

3. In Article II-#5 of the Southern Constitution, it states that every citizen is entitled to the right to privacy. I absolutely support this and therefore believe that the government shouldn't order mass surveillance unless in emergencies (even then, I doubt mass surveillance would even be needed). So I feel that it is a duty to make sure that Southerners won't have to worry about being spied on and can live their lives peacefully and without fear.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »

OneJ,

Which justice of the Supreme court in their history would you say that your judicial philosophy emulates closest?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »

IRL, I would have to say Eleana Kagan who truly believed that every individual had rights regardless of who they are. She also had some concern for those who were financially less fortunate.

She's definitely someone to look up to in my opinion.
diptheriadan

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 10:27:50 PM »

Not the nominee, but SODA OBVIOUSLY *gets excessively angry*

Undeniable evidence that JTC is a dirty Northern communist. I motion for his and the state of Missouri's immediate expulsion from the Southern Region.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 10:31:35 PM »

It is soda though, pop sounds like a drug and cola is one type of soda, like us dr. pepper people are like huh?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 10:32:53 PM »

Oh and to answer your question Dip, I say leave it up to the states to decide. Wink
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 11:38:20 PM »

Not the nominee, but I feel that any answer is acceptable EXCEPT pop.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 11:45:10 PM »

Onto actual questions:

What is your view on medical and recreational marijuana use?
Given your view, would you crack down on states whose citizens have voted to legalize it, for either use?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 01:10:34 AM »

I actually support the use of both medical and recreational marijuana.

Although marijuana may seem bad to some people, it has many benefits. The plant has been used for thousands of years. The first direct reference to marijuana was in 2737 B.C. In the writings of Chinese Emperor Shen Nung. Marijuana was used as a medication for conditions such as gout, rheumatism, and malaria.

Today, medical marijuana is usually used to treat chronic pain from injuries and treat medical conditions such as cancer, multiple sclerosis, and nausea from medications.

Recreational marijuana releases our creative side and helps people relax better when needed.

Therefore, I do not find any reason to crack down against states that have voted to legalize marijuana.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »

Are there any more questions delegates? I'm aware that we're missing CelticEmpire though.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »

Unless we get any more comments, from the other delegates, I think we've pretty much run the course on this.

What say the other delegates?

I want to thank OneJ for his cooperation and look forward to working with him in the South.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »

I move to call the question.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »

Ok, but it's not necessary to call a motion here. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies