Could you please say the red in simple English?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:27:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Could you please say the red in simple English?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could you please say the red in simple English?  (Read 244 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »

Earth Hour switches lights off around the world
Major landmarks around the world have been turning out their lights to mark Earth Hour, an event that draws attention to climate change.
Around 170 countries and territories were expected to take part on Saturday, by turning off non-essential lights at 20:30 local time.
The event, which reaches its 10th anniversary this year, is organised by conservation group WWF.
"We started Earth Hour in 2007 to show leaders that climate change was an issue people cared about," said coordinator Siddarth Das.

"For that symbolic moment to turn into the global movement it is today, is really humbling and speaks volumes about the powerful role of people in issues that affect their lives."
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:45:11 PM »

Isn't the red already in simple English?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:34:52 AM »

"For that symbolic moment to turn into the global movement it is today, is really humbling and speaks volumes about the powerful role of people in issues that affect their lives."

How about:

"For that simple gesture to become the global movement it is today, and to see what people will do for issues that affect their lives is truly humbling"
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:57:23 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2017, 07:01:47 AM by v0031 »

How about:

"For that simple gesture to become the global movement it is today, and to see what people will do for issues that affect their lives is truly humbling"

I feel that the person said this one is not a native speaker. And his name, surely isn't an english one.

And I wonder what humbling here means? I look it up in many dicts, but still puzzled.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »

It appears that the red is a direct quote, so I checked and found a link to the WWF page that it came from. Here's the relevant paragraph.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Statements like this may be actual quotes, but they are often quotes written by the staff preparing the full statement, which is then approved by Das. The sentence you questioned is the type of speech I would associate with an educated writer/speaker. It is fairly sophisticated, but isn't quite grammatical. The clause ahead of "is" isn't really a subject of the verb, but it suggests one. It is how a professor might speak to a class.

So I have a question to the original question. Is the intent to simplify the quote to make it easier to translate, or to show an example of how it might be written with less sophisticated language but still be appropriate for a press release?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies