Why did people support my ban?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:22:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why did people support my ban?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Huh
My views on the issues

The amount I post

My style of communication/attitude

Insufficient length of my posts

Write-in

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Why did people support my ban?  (Read 2626 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 08:29:36 PM »

I know you're on mute right now, but I'll just give my two cents:

Firstly, I don't think you should be banned outright, but I do think some action was justifiable. You do a good job at staying just inside the realm of what is considered "acceptable critique" and what is a personal attack. Posters like Kal and Virginia, even if they often have polarizing political views have earned a position of respect on Atlas from years of well-informed, good-humored, and generally interesting posts. Of course, they are human beings, not to mention mods, and are thus inherently imperfect, but it's hard to read any of your posts on them as being in the realm of "critique" rather than "personal attack."

And that's not to say you don't try, but the fact that you have only been posting here for a few months and appear to take deliberately provocative positions to draw attention, means very few people will take such arguments against well-established posters seriously regardless of your political views. In other words, if you want to take on high-caliber, well established posters, it helps to post here for quite a while, and uphold a certain level of etiquette first.

And that's not to say this isn't about politics at all - I'm sure being a Trump supporter means toeing a tighter line hear than it would on, say r/theDonald. But if you truly want to be taken seriously on Atlas, and have your critiques listened to, it's not your politics that have to change, but your attitude towards your fellow posters.
Rjjr77
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 08:43:32 PM »

Firstly, I don't think you should be banned outright, but I do think some action was justifiable. You do a good job at staying just inside the realm of what is considered "acceptable critique" and what is a personal attack. Posters like Kal and Virginia, even if they often have polarizing political views have earned a position of respect on Atlas from years of well-informed, good-humored, and generally interesting posts. Of course, they are human beings, not to mention mods, and are thus inherently imperfect, but it's hard to read any of your posts on them as being in the realm of "critique" rather than "personal attack."

And that's not to say you don't try, but the fact that you have only been posting here for a few months and appear to take deliberately provocative positions to draw attention, means very few people will take such arguments against well-established posters seriously regardless of your political views. In other words, if you want to take on high-caliber, well established posters, it helps to post here for quite a while, and uphold a certain level of etiquette first.

And that's not to say this isn't about politics at all - I'm sure being a Trump supporter means toeing a tighter line hear than it would on, say r/theDonald. But if you truly want to be taken seriously on Atlas, and have your critiques listened to, it's not your politics that have to change, but your attitude towards your fellow posters.

I'm newer so I think many more established folks miss this simply because they have been here longer. There are quite a few more established posters who have far worse attitudes towards other posters than I've seen from Harding, many of ya'll are blinded to this fact simply because they have been around longer.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »

I'm newer so I think many more established folks miss this simply because they have been here longer. There are quite a few more established posters who have far worse attitudes towards other posters than I've seen from Harding, many of ya'll are blinded to this fact simply because they have been around longer.

I agree with this to an extent, but I think that they're not so much "blind" to it, as willing to overlook it, because we tend to know older posters better, and see them as fellow human beings, while newer posters come across as much more one-dimensional. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's always something to be aware of when you're a newer poster. People will always assume you are trolling or an idiot if they don't know anything about you but a few deliberately provocative posts.
Rjjr77
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »

I agree with this to an extent, but I think that they're not so much "blind" to it, as willing to overlook it, because we tend to know older posters better, and see them as fellow human beings, while newer posters come across as much more one-dimensional. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's always something to be aware of when you're a newer poster. People will always assume you are trolling or an idiot if they don't know anything about you but a few deliberately provocative posts.

Fair enough, as long as posters try to remember that. I can name 10 people off the top of my head worse than Harding, many of whom have been her for some time.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »

stop being new.....need to respect the nasty old posters before being equivalently nasty.

Sounds like my office lol.

But you nailed it.

EHarding is just new.

Rjjr77
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 08:23:05 PM »

Also, who is the OP?  I have never seen that moniker before.
It's eharding
Rjjr77
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »

It's eharding

Yeah he e-mailed me and told me.  I don't understand what this means... if he is banned how is he starting topics? 
He was banned, brought back, then a moderator who's been out to get him muted him.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »

Assuming you aren't a paid troll, you would be most welcome at Stormfront or whatever neo-nazi website is doing well these days.  Actually, you'd probably be welcome either way.

Progressives like you are so accepting and tolerant.  You really make the world a better place.  So glad I'm pitching in with your health insurance.

You don't.

Even if you did, you'd still be totally out of line by bringing this into an unrelated thread.

Enjoy your wealth - it seems like the only thing that you have going for you.  Peace.
Rjjr77
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 08:41:24 PM »

It's eharding

Yeah he e-mailed me and told me.  I don't understand what this means... if he is banned how is he starting topics? 
He was banned, brought back, then a moderator who's been out to get him muted him.

What is the difference between "banning" and "muting?"
My guess is muting let's you sign in and see but keeps you from posting, banning kicks you off the board.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 08:47:37 PM »

It's eharding

What is the difference between "banning" and "muting?"
My guess is muting let's you sign in and see but keeps you from posting, banning kicks you off the board.

He can also send PMs when he is muted.  If he were banned, he could still read the forum if he signed out (actually, can banned posters read this without signing out?)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies