Does this map make sense?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:42:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Does this map make sense?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does this map make sense?  (Read 1006 times)
diptheriadan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2017, 03:05:31 AM »
« edited: March 26, 2017, 03:17:02 AM by Dip The Riadan »

When the possibility of redistricting (I think that's what it is) of the South came up, I created this map. I thought about it some more, and the idea came up that this should just be a national thing. It simply makes sense for the corn-belt to be apart of the south and for the D.C metro to be apart of the North. There local cultures are more similar to those regions. Keeping our current situation or simply going through region-by-region wouldn't help solve this. So, I decided I was going to try out the making of a map. Here is it my rough draft:

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 03:10:49 AM »

Are you proposing that we redraw all the states?  That seems like it would be unnecessarily complicated and wouldn't add any substance to the game.
diptheriadan

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:16:05 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2017, 03:27:00 AM by Dip The Riadan »

Are you proposing that we redraw all the states?  That seems like it would be unnecessarily complicated and wouldn't add any substance to the game.

Not so much proposing as putting the idea out there. Right now I think the only major benefit to doing this would be world building. That's the reason why I created this thread, to critique the map, have other people submit their proposals, finding the pros and cons to doing this project, etc.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:48:33 AM »

My concern is that this would make use of non-GM created data essentially impossible, unless you're willing to add up figures county by county.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 05:14:58 PM »

Interesting idea, and good work on making it!

My two problems would probably be that the red state with NY and the magenta one in CA would be enormous population-wise, with some of the northern plains states smaller than most of the counties in the large ones. The other problem is that we should probably retain regional borders if we do stuff like that.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »

This would baffle newbies.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »

My concern is that this would make use of non-GM created data essentially impossible, unless you're willing to add up figures county by county.
I'm going to have to agree with SJoyce here; quite frequently, when drafting legislation, I will use statistics compiled by the RL statesin regards to population, median incomes, the cost of living, etc. Completely re-drawing the map would make it very, very difficult to establish these statistics without tripling the GM's workload. I would also add that this map does not respect existing regional boundaries, and so would require a constitutional amendment.
diptheriadan

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 09:46:31 PM »

One thing that I have thought about is possibly expanding the role of the GM. So my idea is that instead taking statistic from real life and applying them to Atlasia, The GM creates the statistics.

My two problems would probably be that the red state with NY and the magenta one in CA would be enormous population-wise, with some of the northern plains states smaller than most of the counties in the large ones.

I thought that for big city states like those, maybe the state government could be designed around metropolitan sovereignty. If that makes any sense. So you'd have in the magenta state a local government based out of San Diego, another out of L.A, another out of San Fran, etc. Ditto for the Eastern Red state.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 10:53:29 PM »

One thing that I have thought about is possibly expanding the role of the GM. So my idea is that instead taking statistic from real life and applying them to Atlasia, The GM creates the statistics.
That is a huge assignment and far beyond the ability of one person to do on their own without throwing realism to the wind. For such an idea to work, you would need to expand the Game Engine to comprise multiple co-equal Game Moderators and overhaul the way the office works to make it much more formulaic and statistics-oriented than it has been historically. I don't know that there are even enough people in the game capable of pulling it off, let alone interested in making the attempt.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »

Yes, absolutely not.  GMs do not have a track record that supports this being possible.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »

No. Lots of work for little to no gain.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »

This would be cool as an alternate states project on one of the other broads, but for Atlasia it seems like a  lot of work and complication for little benefit.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »

This would be cool as an alternate states project on one of the other broads, but for Atlasia it seems like a  lot of work and complication for little benefit.
There are only three broads in Atlasian government. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies