The True North - Progressive Conservative Party leadership election, 1993
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:45:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The True North - Progressive Conservative Party leadership election, 1993
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Whom do you support?
Patrick Boyer

Kim Campbell

Jean Charest

Jim Edwards

Garth Turner

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: The True North - Progressive Conservative Party leadership election, 1993  (Read 547 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »

Brian Mulroney and the PCs' popularity have plummeted in the wake of the Goods and Services Tax, a recession and the rise of Quebec nationalism

Brian Mulroney, the first non-Liberal Prime Minister to serve more than 10 months since John Diefenbaker, has retired less than a year before the next federal election. With an unpopular tax increase, a resurgent right-wing in the form of the Reform Party, an economic recession, and the rise of the nationalist Bloc Quebecois from PC's Quebec wing, Mulroney and the Progressive Conservatives were in dire straights as the next election approached.

Patrick Boyer, MP for Etobicoke-Lakeshore - Boyer is a vigorous advocate for democratizing the Canadian electoral process. It was largely due to his efforts that the 1992 Charlottetown Accord was submitted as a national referendum. Among his more controversial positions is a renaming of the party to the "Democratic Conservative Party," and an increase of direct democracy in Canada.

Kim Campbell, MP for Vancouver Centre - Campbell is hugely popular among the Canadian public, the party's supporters and the caucus. A western Canadian, it's thought that she could win back the right-wingers in the west who've been drawn to the Reform Party over the course of the Mulroney Ministry. She has the support of the majority of the caucus, and her personal popularity is among the highest in the country. She's known for her frank, unpolished style, and is seen as a bit of a break from the Mulroney legacy.

Jean Charest, MP for Sherbrooke - Charest is largely supported by the Quebec wing of the party and is seen as the best chance to prevent the Liberals from retaking the province, and to nip the rise of the BQ in the bud. A conservative, Canadian labor unions are largely opposed to him. He is an environmentalist, and is in favor of a more "Green" PC party.

Jim Edwards, MP for Edmonton Southwest - Edwards is a bit of a prairie populist, and is considered a loyal party member. Like Campbell, he's considered to be someone whom can win over supporters of the Reform Party.

Garth Turner, MP for Halton Peel - Unquestionably the most moderate and most outsider candidate, the rookie MP is significantly to the left of his caucus. He has a loyal following, but is seen as a white flag to Reform.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »

It's close, but I'm going to go with Campbell.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 02:42:36 PM »

All the way with Jean Charest!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 03:26:39 PM »

Garth, because the name reminds me of Garth Hudson and I figured he needs at least one vote.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2017, 10:35:09 PM by MAINEiac4434 »

Garth, because the name reminds me of Garth Hudson and I figured he needs at least one vote.
Well, he currently has three and is equally as likely to advance to the second round as Campbell and Edwards so...good job? Charest seems to fit your ideology better (though you also seem like a rank-and-file Reform voter...)

EDIT: and now Turner is all alone in second...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 06:13:11 AM »

Boyer and Edwards are out as I was never on board with the populist portion of the Reform/blue Tory spectrum. This might be unfair, but Turner and Campbell both did stuff post 1993 to piss me off, so I voted Charest by default.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »

Die roll says Campbell will move on to face Charest.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies