WI-01: If Paul Ryan retires, who runs for his seat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:54:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI-01: If Paul Ryan retires, who runs for his seat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI-01: If Paul Ryan retires, who runs for his seat?  (Read 1306 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »
« edited: March 26, 2017, 12:40:37 PM by bronz4141 »

If conservative House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wisconsin) retires due to political dysfunction and a potential desire for working in the private sector, who runs for his Wisconsin's 1st congressional district seat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ryan

Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:55:30 AM »

Paul Nehlen?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:35:27 AM »

I don't think Nehlen would get it, because of the strength of the WI machine. But this is certainly a district that would elect a populist Republican.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:36:25 AM »

"Populist-type Republican" is a hard phrase to define, but I'll note this district gave large outright majorities to Ted Cruz and Mitt Romney in multi-candidate primaries in 2016 and 2012. I'd imagine the favorite would be a fairly typical Wisconsin Republican.

Unlikely, but probably the most prominent (other than Ryan himself) politician from this district is...infamous Kenosha political operative Reince Priebus?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »

In a POLITICO article from last fall-October 2016, it said that if Ryan were to retire from Congress, he may start a think tank, a nonprofit, or be a lobbyist or a consultant. They are a lot of options for Ryan.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/paul-ryan-future-donald-trump-collapse-229756
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »

I imagine Nehlen runs, but I doubt he wins. It'd be interesting to see if the winner is from Janesville, Waukesha, Kenosha, or Racine. It'll also be interesting if Priebus runs. Other than him, Robin Vos, the State Speaker, lives there, so he may go for it. It'll be interesting to see if Peter Barca (D), who previously held the seat, and remains active in state politics, runs.

I'd expect a Republican to win the general, but Democrats can still win in a wave or against the right opponent.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2017, 12:16:07 PM by modern maverick »

RNC PR BS is apparently likelier to fall on his sword than Ryan, but in the event that both do I think RNC PR BS could conceivably finagle his way into this seat, sure. From what little I know of the area my vague sense is that Robin Vos is likelier.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies