Frank Rich: "No Sympathy for the Hillbilly" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:07:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Frank Rich: "No Sympathy for the Hillbilly" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Frank Rich: "No Sympathy for the Hillbilly"  (Read 6410 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: March 26, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »

Good to see some pushback against the bizarre media fellation of Trump voters because they once drove a truck.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:46:03 PM »

The basic flaw with democracy is that at some point you've got to stop absolving voters and realise that a lot of people want terrible things. For every Trump voter who got conned there's at least two more cheering on his plan to throw every Mexican in the United States into a giant pit.

Good to see some pushback against the bizarre media fellation of Trump voters because they once drove a truck.

Yes, clearly the most serious problem with the mainstream media these days is that they pay too much attention and are too sympathetic to economically disadvantaged groups. That explains everything!

Airhead journalists are weekly dispatched in their millions to empty diners in Michigan or whatever to ask fat guys in MAGA hats if they still like Trump and then return to write fawning pieces about how this noble working man thinks lynching is good. This genre did not exist before November 8th and does not exist for any other demographic. Not sure where you got the rest of your wild extrapolation from but I understand the urge to sermonise.

I'm just absolutely baffled that there are Serious People writing Serious Thinkpieces arguing that the problem is that the Democratic Party isn't contemptuous enough of people who don't vote for it. It really lends some credence to the idea that, when you're insulated from the actual outcomes of bad policy (e.g. by being a famous liberal pundit, or whatever Oakvale is), you start to view politics as a purely will-to-power (or will-to-feeling-superior, really, since wielding power typically requires winning elections) exercise rather than something that has real consequences if the bad guys keep winning.

I am not a politician and don't feel the need to lionise the electorate. You have zero idea as to what degree 'bad policy' affects me but by all means continue your preening.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »

Yes, clearly the most serious problem with the mainstream media these days is that they pay too much attention and are too sympathetic to economically disadvantaged groups. That explains everything!

Airhead journalists are weekly dispatched in their millions to empty diners in Michigan or whatever to ask fat guys in MAGA hats if they still like Trump and then return to write fawning pieces about how this noble working man thinks lynching is good. This genre did not exist before November 8th and does not exist for any other demographic. Not sure where you got the rest of your wild extrapolation from but I understand the urge to sermonise.

"The urge to sermonize" tends to be a byproduct of having meaningful political views and at least generically caring about the deleterious impact that the smugness of the socio-political group I happen to be a part of ends up having on the goals said group is supposed to be championing. You could try that sometimes.

I think the premise of the article is stupid 'voting against their own interests!' nonsense - for all its veneer of elitism etc. it's actually a boilerplate "maybe Trump will make the sheeple wake up!" piece. But I don't see it as any more embarrassing than the plethora of paeans to 'economic anxiety' published hourly.

I think we tend to overrate the impact of a vague sense of being condescended to - but is there anything more condescending than the aforementioned 'Chris Cilliza empathises with a laid-off steelworker' series?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »

It is pretty funny how the various narratives being spun about the mysterious Midwest whites is very similar to competing colonial depictions of natives. Are they a vast tribe of aggressive unreasonable non-woke types who should be feared and despised? Are they a dying, noble breed more in touch than the effete observer? Do they merely need to be tamed and introduced to microbreweries and coding lessons so they can be brought into the brave world if the future?

The Ohio factory worker is the noble savage of American journalism.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 07:45:30 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2017, 07:48:23 AM by Oakvale »

"The State giveth" is a bizarre response to whatever NSV is on about but we are all by now familiar with macho bluster about 'parasites' and guillotines etc from forum leftists.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »

I can't help but perceive an exploitative fetishization of black/racial minority culture by the same "educated" white liberals who unironically use the term "white trash."

Huh
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies