McAuliffe for America?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:18:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  McAuliffe for America?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McAuliffe for America?  (Read 860 times)
jbm4pres
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:32:05 PM »

Apparently the Virginia Governor is considering a run. Could he win? Is he too close to the Clintons? Would a brash and gregarious New Yorker be the best opponent against Donald Trump?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/all-opinions-are-local/wp/2017/03/02/president-mcauliffe/?utm_term=.74ecd17787f5
Rjjr77
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »

I mean trump already defeated one democrat with shady foreign dealings and an FBI investigation, why not two?
jbm4pres
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »

Apparently the Virginia Governor is considering a run. Could he win? Is he too close to the Clintons? Would a brash and gregarious New Yorker be the best opponent against Donald Trump?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/all-opinions-are-local/wp/2017/03/02/president-mcauliffe/?utm_term=.74ecd17787f5

He could probably win.  But they should nominate someone who brings swing voters or a swing state to the table, he doesn't do either..

I'm not sure how important it is for a nominee to be from a swing state. Trump wasn't. Obama wasn't. W wasn't. etc. etc. etc.

Terry is a businessman. He has an impressive record and has lead the state to the lowest unemployment rate in nine years. He is charismatic and fiery. I would not underestimate him. I think he could be the Trump of the Democratic Party and fighting fire with fire might not be a bad strategy.
Rjjr77
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 10:00:35 PM »

He literally allows the Hillary stuff to get brought up again, has his own FBI issues, why would democrats do that to themselves?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »

I mean trump already defeated one democrat with shady foreign dealings and an FBI investigation, why not two?

And someone whom Wang Wenliang donated to. But Russia or something.
Rjjr77
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »

And someone whom Wang Wenliang donated to. But Russia or something.
I believe there's a video of those two at Hillary's home for Petes sake, it's too easy. The attack writes itself.
Rjjr77
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »

He literally allows the Hillary stuff to get brought up again, has his own FBI issues, why would democrats do that to themselves?

The hillary emails are no longer relevant.  That was only hurtful because of some dirty last minute tricks.

It was always relevant, and it's more relevant all over if McAuliffe is the candidate, stories about McAuliffe funneling campaign funds to the wife of the agent in charge of the investigations? Shady Chinese dealings? His own FBI investigation it's like running against a male Hillary
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 10:19:09 PM »

The hillary emails are no longer relevant.  That was only hurtful because of some dirty last minute tricks.

It was always relevant, and it's more relevant all over if McAuliffe is the candidate, stories about McAuliffe funneling campaign funds to the wife of the agent in charge of the investigations? Shady Chinese dealings? His own FBI investigation it's like running against a male Hillary

It was always relevant but Hillary was consistently leading in the polls until the last minute Comey letter.  Republicans would really need a repeat of that especially after 4 years of Trump.

The Comey letter is being too much importance. There was the general downward trend of Hillary's favorables. There was the drip drip drip from Wikileaks. And there was probably a shy Trump voter effect.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 10:29:59 PM »

I like Gov. Terry McAuliffe. He is very feisty, combative. I like some of his style.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 11:02:07 PM »

McAuliffe is cancer. Give me Trump.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 11:03:06 PM »

The more the merrier, I guess. I wonbt be voting for him in the primary though, in all likelihood.
Rjjr77
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 11:16:08 PM »

It was always relevant but Hillary was consistently leading in the polls until the last minute Comey letter.  Republicans would really need a repeat of that especially after 4 years of Trump.
And Hillary won the popular vote, but the polls showed undecided voters in the Midwest went to trump, comedy letter or not that was most likely the case anyway.
Rjjr77
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 11:22:59 PM »

And Hillary won the popular vote, but the polls showed undecided voters in the Midwest went to trump, comedy letter or not that was most likely the case anyway.

And Comey's letter gave Trump momentum and a boost of energy to campaign in all those swing states.  That letter absolutely cost her the election.
I can't disagree more, I think the letter did little, the electorate had all but decided at that point. She lost because she was a terrible candidate who didn't campaign, same attack comes letter or not. Was the comedy letter the reason she lost Ohio by 9 points? Or the reason that blacks stayed home? No.
Rjjr77
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 10:36:46 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2017, 10:38:52 AM by Rjjr77 »

The hillary emails are no longer relevant.  That was only hurtful because of some dirty last minute tricks.

It was always relevant but Hillary was consistently leading in the polls until the last minute Comey letter.  Republicans would really need a repeat of that especially after 4 years of Trump.

And Comey's letter gave Trump momentum and a boost of energy to campaign in all those swing states.  That letter absolutely cost her the election.
I can't disagree more, I think the letter did little, the electorate had all but decided at that point. She lost because she was a terrible candidate who didn't campaign, same attack comes letter or not. Was the comedy letter the reason she lost Ohio by 9 points? Or the reason that blacks stayed home? No.

Then why did she do about as expected in say Florida which had early voting pre-dating the Comey letter but far worse than expected in several states that were only election day voting?
And why did she do even worse than expected in Ohio, who has 28 days of early voting. Or Minnesota, or Iowa, all states with LONGER early vote periods than Florida. Why did she way underperform the polls in NC who sent out absentee ballots September 9th.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »

And Comey's letter gave Trump momentum and a boost of energy to campaign in all those swing states.  That letter absolutely cost her the election.

Then why did she do about as expected in say Florida which had early voting pre-dating the Comey letter but far worse than expected in several states that were only election day voting?
And why did she do even worse than expected in Ohio, who has 28 days of early voting. Or Minnesota, or Iowa, all states with LONGER early vote periods than Florida.

To add to this, how could a simple letter have changed Michigan (for example) from a +9.95% for Obama to a +0.23 for Trump?
Rjjr77
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 11:02:05 AM »

The hillary emails are no longer relevant.  That was only hurtful because of some dirty last minute tricks.

It was always relevant but Hillary was consistently leading in the polls until the last minute Comey letter.  Republicans would really need a repeat of that especially after 4 years of Trump.

And Comey's letter gave Trump momentum and a boost of energy to campaign in all those swing states.  That letter absolutely cost her the election.

And why did she do even worse than expected in Ohio, who has 28 days of early voting. Or Minnesota, or Iowa, all states with LONGER early vote periods than Florida. Why did she way underperform the polls in NC who sent out absentee ballots September 9th.

She was always going to do poorly in those states, where there is a huge working class white population with little to offset it (with the exception of NC where she barely underperformed compared to the others).

thank you for proving my point that comey letter had nothing to do with it.

Rjjr77
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 12:15:04 PM »

She was always going to do poorly in those states, where there is a huge working class white population with little to offset it (with the exception of NC where she barely underperformed compared to the others).

thank you for proving my point that comey letter had nothing to do with it.

Not at all, Comey certainly dropped her numbers in Pennsylvania, particularly in moderate swing suburbs around Philadelphia.  This is obvious.
How is it obvious? Everyone of those counties went blue, in fact Hillary won Chester after Obama lost it. It wasn t moderate swing suburbs that cost Pennsylvania it was low turnout in urban and Trump raising the margins in GOP counties
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »

McAuliffe's a guy who's a professional politician.  Not that it's a bad thing, but McAuliffe running for President would appear to be a case of a guy running because it's the next step up for his career.  He has no constituency (unlike, say, Sherrod Brown or Liz Warren) and I don't think he could build one because I don't think he could ever get to be "the most electable".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »

McAuliffe's a guy who's a professional politician.

To me, he seems less like a professional politician, and more like a fundraiser who accidentally stumbled onto the political stage.  He just doesn't seem like a natural to me at the politics game, and so it's hard for me to imagine him making a successful transition to the national scene.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »

Obviously, Dems do need to lock up the 266 electors and Va to cross the 270 threshold and McAuliffe may be the person to do it.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies