VA-CNU (PRI): Dems tied, Gillespie yuge lead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-CNU (PRI): Dems tied, Gillespie yuge lead
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-CNU (PRI): Dems tied, Gillespie yuge lead  (Read 1389 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2017, 06:21:38 AM »

Dems tied at 26%, Gillespie leads at 38% with Stewart and Wagner barely in double digits.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »

This feels increasingly like one of those presidential primaries where Clinton and Sanders were tied early on and then Sanders ultimately ended up winning by double digits.  If Northam is only tied with Perriello now, I find it hard to believe he can hold on until June.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »

Why is this even competitive? I thought Northam was going to cruise to victory, and VA's Democratic primary electorate doesn't seem like one that would reject him in favor of a more progressive candidate (yeah, I know they both have pretty similar views, but still..)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »

Why is this even competitive? I thought Northam was going to cruise to victory, and VA's Democratic primary electorate doesn't seem like one that would reject him in favor of a more progressive candidate (yeah, I know they both have pretty similar views, but still..)

Three possibilities:

1. Northam happily acknowledges that he was a 2-time Bush voter and he almost made a deal to switch parties back in the late 2000's.  It's not unreasonable that the Dem base starts to question his sincerity to the cause when reminded of this.

2. Perriello is actually turning out a bloc of Trump supporters who care more about populism that party ideology.  This sounds a bit crazy, but his primary margin in western VA is unreal.  This could also explain why Stewart has mostly failed to launch on the R side.

3.  Being all social issues, all the time is hurting Northam, even in Virginia.  Some VA Dems might be sensing a Mark Udall redux and they'd rather nip that in the bud in the primary.

Basically, he has some of Hillary Clinton's problems (but not corruption) and some of Jeb Bush's low energy problems.  If there is any truth at all to #2, Perriello is the better GE candidate.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »

The candidates are pretty similar, but more importantly, nobody is paying attention to the race within the state. I'd argue the elevated stakes of the special elections in MT-AL and GA-06 have drawn away media attention from this primary, which works against Perriello in my opinion since he's quite intent on nationalizing the race.

Three possibilities:

1. Northam happily acknowledges that he was a 2-time Bush voter and he almost made a deal to switch parties back in the late 2000's.  It's not unreasonable that the Dem base starts to question his sincerity to the cause when reminded of this.

2. Perriello is actually turning out a bloc of Trump supporters who care more about populism that party ideology.  This sounds a bit crazy, but his primary margin in western VA is unreal.  This could also explain why Stewart has mostly failed to launch on the R side.

3.  Being all social issues, all the time is hurting Northam, even in Virginia.  Some VA Dems might be sensing a Mark Udall redux and they'd rather nip that in the bud in the primary.

Basically, he has some of Hillary Clinton's problems (but not corruption) and some of Jeb Bush's low energy problems.  If there is any truth at all to #2, Perriello is the better GE candidate.

1. I don't think that matters too much in Virginia.

2. Trump supporters? Almost certainly not. Disaffected rural lefties who like Perriello's message? Very likely, but I don't think that will be too large of an electorate. Just look at the results of the 2016 presidential primary.

3. Actually, Perriello is trying to outflank him on social liberalism, but I get your point. I do think that both candidates have strayed away from bread-and-butter VA political issues. However, Perriello is the greater offender of this since he wants to make this race a referendum on Trump so badly.

If Perriello is the better GE candidate, he'll prove it by winning the nomination. Until then, they both have very low name ID, which makes this race about turnout, and I think Northam's retail politicking will give him the advantage there.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »

He might have crossover from poor rural Trumpers in a matchup against Gillespie. If it exists, it would manifest in him getting a higher percentage from rural Virginia while under performing in Virginia Beach and NoVa
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »

This feels increasingly like one of those presidential primaries where Clinton and Sanders were tied early on and then Sanders ultimately ended up winning by double digits.  If Northam is only tied with Perriello now, I find it hard to believe he can hold on until June.

Very small sample but yea there is a slight split between 2016 primary voters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies