Is doing evil a necessity of life?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:24:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is doing evil a necessity of life?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is doing evil a necessity of life?  (Read 2531 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »

It is theoretically possible to live life without committing any evil, but the kind of life you need to lead in order to achieve that, aside from being necessarily solitary and miserable, would also prevent you from doing much good. I'm the kind of person who is so afraid of doing evil that he ends up not doing much good, so I should keep that in mind more often.

Please show how one can go through life without competing and creating victims or losers.

I cannot see how.

The key is reducing interactions with other human beings to an absolute minimum. It's doable, but as I said it's a pretty miserable life and implies foregoing a lot of opportunities to do good.

You can reduce interactions but must still compete for resources or jobs.

Regards
DL

It's possible to survive without a job and by getting the resources you need from the wilderness. It's not pleasant, but it's doable.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »

The same place where you chided me for not following your traditionalist interpretation of the Fall.

Accuracy then would have been the wrong word as myths and accuracy do not compute.

Regards
DL

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »

The same place where you chided me for not following your traditionalist interpretation of the Fall.

Accuracy then would have been the wrong word as myths and accuracy do not compute.

One's reading of a myth can either be accurate or inaccurate. I pointed out that the Bible itself does not refer to Adam and Eve's transgression as "sin", as it waited until Cain killed Abel to introduce that term; you disagreed with my point, citing traditional Christian theology (which was only developed in response to the Gnostics, whom you pretend to identify with). All clear now?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 09:16:30 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2017, 05:48:46 PM by Meclazine »

You have two end members of the human spectrum:

(a) Man, the mental being of reason who can be an ideal according to your theology of choice.

(b) Man, the natural animal. A being of motive and cunning to survive.

They are not the same, but most humans lie somewhere in between.

Clearly religions such as Christianity provide a successful code of conduct or social blueprint for domestic human life whereby people avoid becoming (b).

But we are (b) before the social construct of religion was added to the poorly educated masses as an effective form of control.

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 11:23:56 AM »

One's reading of a myth can either be accurate or inaccurate. I pointed out that the Bible itself does not refer to Adam and Eve's transgression as "sin", as it waited until Cain killed Abel to introduce that term; you disagreed with my point, citing traditional Christian theology (which was only developed in response to the Gnostics, whom you pretend to identify with). All clear now?

So much for Original sin and man being blamed for bringing death to earth.

But if you are to ignore scriptures, that blame Adam as well as the deceptive lying serpent, things that occurred before A & E were cast out of Eden, good for you.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »

You have two end members of the human spectrum:

(a) Man, the mental being of reason who can be an ideal according to your theology of choice.

(b) Man, the natural animal. A being of motive and cunning to survive.

They are not the same, but most humans lie somewhere in between.

Clearly religions such as Christianity provide a successful code of conduct or social blueprint for domestic human life whereby people avoid becoming (b).

But we are (b) before the social construct of religion was added to the poorly educated masses as an effective formbof control.

"Christianity provide a successful code of conduct"

Wow. Are you serious?

Both Christianity and Islam, basically, have developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds.

You see the oppression of women and gay and intolerance as a good code of conduct do you?

If so, thanks for showing all here what your religion has done to corrupt your moral sense.

You might want to remember your religions history of abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN8EYIIR3g&feature=related

Regards
DL

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »

But if you are to ignore scriptures, that blame Adam as well as the deceptive lying serpent, things that occurred before A & E were cast out of Eden, good for you.

I never said any of that. To find out what I did say, I suggest that you reread my posts.

There's no need to reply right away. Go ahead. Take your time. Smiley
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 12:38:18 PM »

I never said any of that. To find out what I did say, I suggest that you reread my posts.

There's no need to reply right away. Go ahead. Take your time. Smiley

There is no worthy reply for those who ignore the Christian dogma, --- yet want to discuss that same ignored dogma.

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »

Wow, someone did NOT take his time!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to report you to the demiurge for this.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2017, 05:34:29 PM by mathstatman »

To answer the OP: except for exceptionally rare cases--and I honestly cannot think even of a hypothetical one--then No.

I think the key is how we define evil. Even before that, do humans have Original Sin? As a Christian (though not a fundamentalist), I am aware that the Christian tradition teaches original sin, though I suspect that doctrine is often misunderstood. (I believe humans have a capacity for evil, but not a predisposition to it, and that the presence of a crowd or a mob makes it easier for one to perform evil acts anonymously).

I suspect that relatively individualistic societies (such as the US) would define evil differently from more collectivist societies. Also, evil can be defined as any act which violates the rules of one's religious tradition or "God". If equality of outcomes is the goal, then selfishly pursuing one's interest, or earning a living, could be regarded as evil so long as people elsewhere starve. Likewise, using trickery to attain a goal could be regarded as evil, even if it is good from a utilitarian standpoint (the overall social benefit outweighs the harm to the "sucker").

Ultimately we need a definition of evil. The good news is that I suspect most people, and all the Abrahamic religions (and I suspect African and East Asian ones as well) have a similar concept of evil, with slight variations. Those few who make evil as a way of life will soon be ostracized, and forced to change their ways or perish.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies