Is doing evil a necessity of life? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:07:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is doing evil a necessity of life? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is doing evil a necessity of life?  (Read 2550 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« on: March 28, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »

Who says that competition is evil? Actually, the first time the Bible mentions sin is in the story of Cain and Abel, which isn't about the evil of competition (though the farmer and the shepherd did offer competing sacrifices), but about the evil of being a sore loser.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:05:16 PM »

I thought the first sin was thought to be the original sin.

That wouldn't make much sense, as Adam and Eve didn't know what sin was when they ate of the tree of knowledge.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, because true competition isn't about the wellbeing of the individuals competing, but the wellbeing of the thing competed over. And when competition is fair, failure is an opportunity to better oneself anyway.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2017, 10:56:09 AM by Mopsus »

Most of the bible does not make logical sense. But if we are to discuss it, it will be hard if you only take the parts you like and ignore the rest even as one of the main Christian dogmas is original sin.

So now you're saying that the traditional Christian reading of the Bible is 100% accurate? LOL

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Human competition leads to starvation only in rare cases (more often, Mother Nature is to blame). Besides, I'm not talking about competition over resources, but competition over what we do with those resources.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2017, 04:05:03 PM by Mopsus »

The same place you chided me for not following your traditionalist interpretation of the Fall.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »

The same place where you chided me for not following your traditionalist interpretation of the Fall.

Accuracy then would have been the wrong word as myths and accuracy do not compute.

One's reading of a myth can either be accurate or inaccurate. I pointed out that the Bible itself does not refer to Adam and Eve's transgression as "sin", as it waited until Cain killed Abel to introduce that term; you disagreed with my point, citing traditional Christian theology (which was only developed in response to the Gnostics, whom you pretend to identify with). All clear now?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »

So much for Original sin and man being blamed for bringing death to earth.

But if you are to ignore scriptures, that blame Adam as well as the deceptive lying serpent, things that occurred before A & E were cast out of Eden, good for you.

I never said any of that. To find out what I did say, I suggest that you reread my posts.

There's no need to reply right away. Go ahead. Take your time. Smiley
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »

Wow, someone did NOT take his time!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to report you to the demiurge for this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies