Is doing evil a necessity of life? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:01:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is doing evil a necessity of life? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is doing evil a necessity of life?  (Read 2544 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 21, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »
« edited: April 21, 2017, 05:34:29 PM by mathstatman »

To answer the OP: except for exceptionally rare cases--and I honestly cannot think even of a hypothetical one--then No.

I think the key is how we define evil. Even before that, do humans have Original Sin? As a Christian (though not a fundamentalist), I am aware that the Christian tradition teaches original sin, though I suspect that doctrine is often misunderstood. (I believe humans have a capacity for evil, but not a predisposition to it, and that the presence of a crowd or a mob makes it easier for one to perform evil acts anonymously).

I suspect that relatively individualistic societies (such as the US) would define evil differently from more collectivist societies. Also, evil can be defined as any act which violates the rules of one's religious tradition or "God". If equality of outcomes is the goal, then selfishly pursuing one's interest, or earning a living, could be regarded as evil so long as people elsewhere starve. Likewise, using trickery to attain a goal could be regarded as evil, even if it is good from a utilitarian standpoint (the overall social benefit outweighs the harm to the "sucker").

Ultimately we need a definition of evil. The good news is that I suspect most people, and all the Abrahamic religions (and I suspect African and East Asian ones as well) have a similar concept of evil, with slight variations. Those few who make evil as a way of life will soon be ostracized, and forced to change their ways or perish.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies