Rural Left vs Urban Right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:46:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Rural Left vs Urban Right
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: For which party would you vote in this hypothetical scenario?
Democratic Party

Republican Party

Abstain/Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Rural Left vs Urban Right  (Read 3515 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »

This is a great Democratic Party. Give me that all day.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 04:27:05 PM »

Republican Party

Base: Urban (I don't think modern urban areas are compatible with conservatism), suburban, managerial class, small business owners, Whites with a college education, Mainline Protestants, Irreligious, White collar (despite popular belief, I don't actually care about this), upper class African Americans and Hispanics, Asians; New England, West Coast (the politics of the West Coast aren't those of people who would be Republicans if they weren't so intolerant ... they're just politics of the far left), Mid-Atlantic

Ideology: Centrism, Classical Liberalism, Conservative Liberalism

Policies: Pro-choice (would prefer big tent, but that might not be realistic), legalize euthanasia, legalize marijuana, pro-gay marriage, mixed on gun rights, pro-immigration, pro-business, tax cuts and deregulation, balancing budget, right to work, supports business-government environmental collaboration, internationalist foreign policy with mixed interventionism/non-interventionism, supports free trade

Since others have edited stuff, this is my ideal.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »

Republican most of the time, but I'd be a perennial swing voter. I kind of wish this was the paradigm now.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 06:10:43 PM »

Given the reactions of some of the more Trumpian conservatives, I'm thinking the party labels may make more sense swapped.

Who says that the Trumpists should be in charge? Tongue
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 06:20:42 PM »

Republican Party

Base: Urban, suburban, managerial class, small business owners, Whites with a college education, Mainline Protestants, Irreligious, White collar, upper class African Americans and Hispanics, Asians; New England, West Coast, Mid-Atlantic

Ideology: Centrism, Classical Liberalism, Conservative Liberalism

Policies: Pro-choice, legalize euthanasia, legalize marijuana, pro-gay marriage, mixed on gun rights, pro-immigration, pro-business (depends on what this actually means), tax cuts and deregulation (sounds tolerable in theory, typically very bad in practice), balancing budget, right to work, supports business-government environmental collaboration, internationalist foreign policy with mixed interventionism/non-interventionism, supports free trade

This version of the Republican Party looks good to me, although I might be willing to give a socially moderate, local Democrat a look if they aren't too dogmatic on abortion. The "religious freedom" part is a huge turnoff though, and a Democratic Party that's "mixed" on the environment doesn't sound like one I want to be a part of.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »

Ugh, I would hate this world!  I guess the Democrats solely because of social issues, but just flipping where each stood on abortion would send me back to the Republicans.  I really don't like populism, though!
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 11:15:10 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2017, 11:17:17 PM by Fremont Assemblyman RFayette »

Somewhere between this:

Democratic Party by far, though I'd probably be to their left on the environment and would probably still swing GOP at points if the candidate is left enough on the economy.

But I'm not going with a right-to-work, deregulation lovin', pro-euthanasia party as my default.

This

I'd be a much more enthusiastic Dem than I am a GOPer IRL

and this:

Ugh, I would hate this world!  I guess the Democrats solely because of social issues, but just flipping where each stood on abortion would send me back to the Republicans.  I really don't like populism, though!

I definitely would vote Democratic in this scenario, though I would not be a fan of their tax policy at all. 
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 02:07:45 AM »

Democratic Party, easily
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:28 AM »

Democrats, of course.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 03:46:37 AM »

Republican because of social issues, but a very reluctant vote.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »

Lean R, but I'd probably be some kind of swing voter.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »

I'd most certainly be a total swing voter with this Democratic and Republican parties. Both parties have very diverse political views (and my views are supported by both parties), and the candidate I support would most likely be based off the issues they emphasize the most.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 10:11:55 PM »

I'd be an Independent who votes Democrat most of the time, but I'd probably never be happy about it, and would be willing to vote Republican if they were centrist economically or if the Democratic messaging on social issues was similar to RL Republicans.
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 10:58:04 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2017, 10:59:41 PM by SlippingJimmy »

Republican, through and through, and even more so if they are strongly in favor of preserving gun rights, willing to accept something like a 5-month ban on abortions, and support reciprocity in trade as a qualification to their support of free trade.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 11:43:22 PM »

Republican, through and through, and even more so if they are strongly in favor of preserving gun rights, willing to accept something like a 5-month ban on abortions, and support reciprocity in trade as a qualification to their support of free trade.

Well, that would make me go independent Tongue
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 11:53:52 PM »

Well, that would make me go independent Tongue

Me too. But with initial program i would go Republican immediately....
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2017, 03:25:02 AM »

probably democrat. sounds somewhat similar to my views.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2017, 03:59:05 AM »

somewhat reluctantly a Democrat, which would make it unchanged from who I am ITTL except that i'd be a horrible fit culturally in this world though I value economic equality enough that it outweighs the other stuff.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2017, 04:57:53 AM »

Democratic Party

Base: Rural, small town, White working class, Whites without a college education, Evangelical Protestants, Blue collar, unionized workers, African Americans, Hispanics, Catholics; Southeast, Appalachia, Rust Belt

Ideology: Populism, Christian Democracy, Social Conservatism

Policies: Pro-life, anti-euthanasia, supports "religious freedom" legislation, supports gun rights, limiting immigration, higher minimum wage, expanding social safety net, universal healthcare, mixed on environment, generally isolationist foreign policy with mixed interventionism/non-interventionism, against free trade

Sounds just about ideal, actually.

This
Cashew
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2017, 09:30:34 AM »

Mostly Democrat, although climate denial may push me to vote for the occasional  Republican, with some moderation on some positions like

support reciprocity in trade as a qualification to their support of free trade.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:41 AM »

The one that doesn't try to gloss over its anti-poor, anti-masses agenda with liberal stances on the same kinds of social issues that IRL, have somehow become critically important litmus tests for 21st century Democrats.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »

The one that doesn't try to gloss over its anti-poor, anti-masses agenda with liberal stances on the same kinds of social issues that IRL, have somehow become critically important litmus tests for 21st century Democrats.

In the 20th century, both parties used to be pro-choice and support the Equal Rights Amendment.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2017, 11:58:21 AM »

In the 20th century, both parties used to be pro-choice and support the Equal Rights Amendment.

Then it seems Progress is winning.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2017, 12:00:11 PM »

Then it seems Progress is winning.

No, it is losing.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »

Is there really evidence of this?  Sure, (at least on the surface) it seems there used to be more pro-choice Republicans and pro-life Democrats, but I'm not sure there was ever a time where there was a national consensus that abortion should be legal ... I might be wrong, I guess.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies