Rural Left vs Urban Right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:28:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Rural Left vs Urban Right
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: For which party would you vote in this hypothetical scenario?
Democratic Party

Republican Party

Abstain/Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Rural Left vs Urban Right  (Read 3517 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »

The one that doesn't try to gloss over its anti-poor, anti-masses agenda with liberal stances on the same kinds of social issues that IRL, have somehow become critically important litmus tests for 21st century Democrats.

In the 20th century, both parties used to be pro-choice and support the Equal Rights Amendment.

Then it seems Progress is winning.

No, it is losing.

Progress is whatever the winners say it is.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2017, 12:22:31 PM »

The one that doesn't try to gloss over its anti-poor, anti-masses agenda with liberal stances on the same kinds of social issues that IRL, have somehow become critically important litmus tests for 21st century Democrats.

In the 20th century, both parties used to be pro-choice and support the Equal Rights Amendment.

Then it seems Progress is winning.

No, it is losing.

Progress is whatever the winners say it is.

Then your "Progress is winning" comment is meaningless, except to say "winners are winning." But women's rights are losing.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2017, 12:32:44 PM by modern maverick »

"Both parties used to be pro-choice" strikes me as bizarrely reductive, considering that Catholics used to bloc vote for the Democrats and that as late as the early-to-mid 1960s public support for legalizing abortion hovered around 15%. My understanding is that neither party felt the need to "sort" on this issue until around the time of Roe.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »

Is there really evidence of this?  Sure, (at least on the surface) it seems there used to be more pro-choice Republicans and pro-life Democrats, but I'm not sure there was ever a time where there was a national consensus that abortion should be legal ... I might be wrong, I guess.

"Both parties used to be pro-choice" strikes me as bizarrely reductive, considering that Catholics used to bloc vote for the Democrats and that as late as the early-to-mid 1960s public support for legalizing abortion hovered around 15%. My understanding is that neither party felt the need to "sort" on this issue until around the time of Roe.

There were certainly pro-choice and pro-life elements within both parties, but immediately after Roe v. Wade, Richard Nixon was pro-choice, and at the 1976 convention, there was initially a pro-choice majority. Ironically, Republican women bargained away the pro-choice stance hoping to save the ERA. In 1980, there were protests when the Republican platform rejected the ERA.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »

Is there really evidence of this?  Sure, (at least on the surface) it seems there used to be more pro-choice Republicans and pro-life Democrats, but I'm not sure there was ever a time where there was a national consensus that abortion should be legal ... I might be wrong, I guess.

There were certainly pro-choice and pro-life elements within both parties, but immediately after Roe v. Wade, Richard Nixon was pro-choice, and at the 1976 convention, there was initially a pro-choice majority. Ironically, Republican women bargained away the pro-choice stance hoping to save the ERA. In 1980, there were protests when the Republican platform rejected the ERA.

I assumed you were referring to the period immediately before Roe rather than immediately after it, sorry. And yeah, I knew that solid majorities both parties used to support the ERA--the history there is depressing in all sorts of ways.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2017, 12:39:58 PM »

I assumed you were referring to the period immediately before Roe rather than immediately after it, sorry. And yeah, I knew that solid majorities both parties used to support the ERA--the history there is depressing in all sorts of ways.

Pro-life Republicans claim they don't oppose women's rights yet won't support the ERA.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2017, 12:42:06 PM »

Pro-life Republicans claim they don't oppose women's rights yet won't support the ERA.

Isn't there a semi-cogent argument that the ERA would render specific protections for women such as VAWA and parts of Title IX unconstitutional? I don't buy it, and I strongly doubt it's the reasoning of most Republicans, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some people were convinced by that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »

Isn't there a semi-cogent argument that the ERA would render specific protections for women such as VAWA and parts of Title IX unconstitutional? I don't buy it, and I strongly doubt it's the reasoning of most Republicans, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some people were convinced by that.

Then those laws should be rewritten as to be gender neutral. It's not as if men don't face domestic violence, or men's sports should be underfunded.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »

Totally would vote for Democrats.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix