Reuters: Breaking with tradition, Republican orgs. to go after Democratic AGs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:46:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Reuters: Breaking with tradition, Republican orgs. to go after Democratic AGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reuters: Breaking with tradition, Republican orgs. to go after Democratic AGs  (Read 2086 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
« edited: March 28, 2017, 03:19:11 PM by Virginia »

Exclusive: As Democratic attorneys general target Trump, Republican AGs target them

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-politics-republican-ags-exclusive-idUSKBN16Z1A5

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If I had to guess, this is because of 3 reasons:

1. Republicans can dish it out but not take it, choosing to abandon tradition after Democratic AGs start treating the Republican president like Republican AGs treated Obama.

2. The Republican Party probably feels it has so much power now that any agreements that limit that power even slightly should no longer be honored, as in their eyes, it only hinders complete control.

3. Pressure from business interests to unseat Democrats who hurt their bottom lines. After all, in the party of business, whenever possible, business comes first.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »

Which states do Democrats even still have elected AG's in that are up in 2018?  Probably not too many states where Republicans can win.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »

Which states do Democrats even still have elected AG's in that are up in 2018?  Probably not too many states where Republicans can win.
Iowa is the big one. If he runs for reelection he'd be favored, but if not the GOP is free to pick it up. Minnesota is also an outside shot if Swanson doesn't run for reelection, but if she doesn't I still think Democrats are favored to hold it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »

"roll back same sex marriage" what are they nuts?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »

Iowa is the big one. If he runs for reelection he'd be favored, but if not the GOP is free to pick it up. Minnesota is also an outside shot if Swanson doesn't run for reelection, but if she doesn't I still think Democrats are favored to hold it.

This. If anything, GOP has some exposed seats. NV and MI, for starters, and maybe a few scattered ones here and there.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 04:22:54 PM »

This. If anything, GOP has some exposed seats. NV and MI, for starters, and maybe a few scattered ones here and there.
Nevada I think falls, especially with Laxalt likely to run for Governor. Michigan, Schuette is termed out, I think Tonya Schuitmaker holds it for Republicans but she'll have to work for reelection, unless Democrats punt to go all in on the governor race (kind of like what happened in 2014 IIRC), but there are some potential governor candidates who are lawyers and could drop down to that race. Ohio could be at risk potentially but Dave Yost is a strong candidate and Democrats will likely go after other row offices.

In 2019, Jim Hood (MS) and Andy Beshear (KY) are up. Let's see if either of them run for reelection, or run for governor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 04:25:51 PM »

1. Republicans can dish it out but not take it, choosing to abandon tradition after Democratic AGs start treating the Republican president like Republican AGs treated Obama.

I would go with this one as my guess. The kinds of partisans who make it into statewide office are notorious for being able to dish it out, but not being able to take it.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 04:58:22 PM »

The AG that Republicans should be maddest at is Bob Ferguson, and they let him run unopposed last year in an office they held as recently as 2012.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 06:15:15 PM »

The AG that Republicans should be maddest at is Bob Ferguson, and they let him run unopposed last year in an office they held as recently as 2012.

That was an act of staggering incompetence by the WAGOP.

Not that they would have won, I don't think, but still
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »

Nevada I think falls, especially with Laxalt likely to run for Governor. Michigan, Schuette is termed out, I think Tonya Schuitmaker holds it for Republicans but she'll have to work for reelection, unless Democrats punt to go all in on the governor race (kind of like what happened in 2014 IIRC), but there are some potential governor candidates who are lawyers and could drop down to that race. Ohio could be at risk potentially but Dave Yost is a strong candidate and Democrats will likely go after other row offices.

In 2019, Jim Hood (MS) and Andy Beshear (KY) are up. Let's see if either of them run for reelection, or run for governor.

I actually think Diettelbach has a pretty decent chance of picking up the AG office for the Democrats if 2018 is a Democratic year.  Yost is a far weaker candidate than he appears on paper and Diettelbach is already running one hell of an energetic campaign.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »

I actually think Diettelbach has a pretty decent chance of picking up the AG office for the Democrats if 2018 is a Democratic year.  Yost is a far weaker candidate than he appears on paper and Diettelbach is already running one hell of an energetic campaign.

It doesn't look like he's said anything on the race since January. He doesn't have a website or anything.

Just reporting back what I've been hearing down here in Ohio Tongue
Rjjr77
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »

No one knows who Dettelbach is, or even how to spell his name, he's got an uphill climb. I actually think he'd be better if he went after Joyce and Schiavoni went for AG
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 10:28:48 PM »

Good. Such an agreement is silly anyway. We need attorney generals in every state that enforce laws like federal drug laws and immigration law.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 11:47:45 PM »

Good. Such an agreement is silly anyway. We need attorney generals in every state that enforce laws like federal drug laws and immigration law.

Voting & civil rights too.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »

Good.  None of these agreements should exist.  I should have a meaningful choice in every election, whether it be in a D+30 Congressional seat, Attorney General, or the most local of local elections.   All these agreements do is stop me from having a choice in elections, forcing me to vote for a Democrat, write someone in, or not vote in that all. 

The cross-endorsing of judicial candidates in New York is the worst example of it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »

Good.  None of these agreements should exist.  I should have a meaningful choice in every election, whether it be in a D+30 Congressional seat, Attorney General, or the most local of local elections.   All these agreements do is stop me from having a choice in elections, forcing me to vote for a Democrat, write someone in, or not vote in that all.  

The cross-endorsing of judicial candidates in New York is the worst example of it.

Personally, I didn't even know such an agreement existed. My problem with this was the timing/possible logic of such a move, of which I outlined in my first post.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »

Yay! I was going to be sad if Herring wasn't dramatically out fundraised and spent.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »

The article does state why the rules existed and it's because of cooperation across state lines. Attorneys General have to deal with issues that require out of state cooperation more than any other statewide elected office and it's wise not to cause rifts that could destabilize that.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 10:08:52 PM »

The GOP couldn't even field a candidate against the Attorney General in Washington last year.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 09:08:18 PM »

Good.  None of these agreements should exist.  I should have a meaningful choice in every election, whether it be in a D+30 Congressional seat, Attorney General, or the most local of local elections.   All these agreements do is stop me from having a choice in elections, forcing me to vote for a Democrat, write someone in, or not vote in that all. 

It's patronage for lawyers.  Of course, "Supreme Court" judges in NY are just local judges, a step up from County Court Judges; it's NY's Court of Appeals that's the big deal, and I believe they are appointed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies