Anti-abortion activists who made illegal videos of PP charged w/ 15 felonies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:04:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anti-abortion activists who made illegal videos of PP charged w/ 15 felonies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anti-abortion activists who made illegal videos of PP charged w/ 15 felonies  (Read 2016 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 12:08:01 AM »

They violated the assumption of confidentiality between a counselor and a patient -- and thus medical ethics. Lock 'em up!

Patients can waive any client-patient confidentiality whenever they want and to whomever they want.  Otherwise, you couldn't tell your spouse or friend or parents or whomever about what the doctor told you.  That makes no sense.  So that can't be it.

The alleged "issue" is that they publicly taped the Planned Parenthood representatives talking about selling baby parts... in a public place, where there is no expectation of privacy, regardless of what any law says.  The activist California AG will lose this case, badly.  It is the very definition of a partisan witch hunt by a partisan hack.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 12:09:46 AM »

We need to send Federal Troops into the rogue state of California pronto. These people are absolutely NUTS!

Or President Trump can grow a pair and pardon them.

"Breaking the law is OK if the people doing it share my political views."
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 12:15:47 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2017, 12:18:44 AM by cinyc »

We need to send Federal Troops into the rogue state of California pronto. These people are absolutely NUTS!

When was the last time 60 Minutes or the local news in California were prosecuted by the California AG for a hidden camera expose?  Or the animal rights activists who go on farms to tape what is going on there?  Answer - never.  So how can the citizen journalists who exposed Planned Parenthood's baby parts selling be prosecuted under that law?  They cannot.  Their actions are protected by the First Amendment.

And, as far as I know, Trump can't pardon anyone for state crime.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 12:32:22 AM »

I haven't been following this, but was Planned Parenthood not selling body parts? Because it'd be pretty wasteful and scandalous if they weren't.

They were selling body parts, it's on video.

I guess you can't believe everything you see on the Internet.

Especially when it comes from anti-abortion activists.

I trust them more than the people who have a financial interest in the abortion industry.

The videos were botched. Get that through your thick skull or just become another deplorable.

Just because you say the videos were botched doesn't mean I'll believe you.  The fact is that the AG is supported by Planned Parenthood and has a vested interest in that organization's well-being.

"Deplorable," you realize that I don't even support Trump?

You blindly get bamboozled by these morons who are now getting FELONY charges against them and you still don't believe facts? Yeah, i think imbecile fits you better.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 12:54:35 AM »

That's the reason why, even under Republican presidents, nothing changes.

The Bushes, Romney, Trump, etc. are all not pro-life, but if it hadn't been for pro-life voters, they'd all have been toast. The way Republicans are politicizing this issue and giving the pro-life movement hope every four years is pretty reprehensible IMO.

I am confident, at least, that George W. Bush is deeply pro-life, even if his dad isn't.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 01:01:51 AM »

When was the last time 60 Minutes or the local news in California were prosecuted by the California AG for a hidden camera expose?  Or the animal rights activists who go on farms to tape what is going on there?  Answer - never.  So how can the citizen journalists who exposed Planned Parenthood's baby parts selling be prosecuted under that law?  They cannot.  Their actions are protected by the First Amendment.

That's up for a court of law to decide. I don't know the details of the case, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be prosecuted it what they did was constitutionally protected speech. Or do you want to scream political persecution as well?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2017, 01:09:37 AM »

That's up for a court of law to decide. I don't know the details of the case, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be prosecuted it what they did was constitutionally protected speech. Or do you want to scream political persecution as well?

There is no question that this is a political witch hunt by an activist hack Attorney General against people who made his abortionist friends look bad.  He doesn't bring similar cases against 60 Minutes or local TV stations or even those animal rights activists who go to farms and slaughterhouses to tape what is going on there.  It is selective prosecution of certain members of the press for their political views.  And as I've explained before, you don't need to work for the mainstream media to be a protected member of the press under the First Amendment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2017, 01:24:39 AM »

There is no question that this is a political witch hunt by an activist hack Attorney General against people who made his abortionist friends look bad.  He doesn't bring similar cases against 60 Minutes or local TV stations or even those animal rights activists who go to farms and slaughterhouses to tape what is going on there.  It is selective prosecution of certain members of the press for their political views.  And as I've explained before, you don't need to work for the mainstream media to be a protected member of the press under the First Amendment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTcHpPDCu8
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »

I haven't been following this, but was Planned Parenthood not selling body parts? Because it'd be pretty wasteful and scandalous if they weren't.

They were selling body parts, it's on video.

I guess you can't believe everything you see on the Internet.

Especially when it comes from anti-abortion activists.

I trust them more than the people who have a financial interest in the abortion industry.

Suit yourself, but don't be surprised when they continue to scam you in the future.

Remember, people who believe that abortion is the murder of a human being don't see anything wrong with a few white lies here and there if they believe they can lower the abortion rate. ExtremeRepublican himself has explicitly said that the "ends justify the means" on this issue. It shouldn't surprise anyone that these videos didn't show what they claimed to show.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »

Nope. This is a state-level criminal case, not federal. The pardon would have to come from Jerry Brown, and that ain't happening.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »

Most people agree with this on some level.

The great majority of people are ok with the idea of hiding runaway slaves, distributing anti-Nazi/Communist leaflets etc, even if those activities were illegal in particular circumstances.

The question is ultimately, where does one draw the line.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2017, 04:11:23 PM »

No he can't. They're being charged under California state law. The President can only issue federal pardons. Only the Governor of California could pardon them.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2017, 04:18:36 PM »

That said as dishonest as what they did is this is a valid First Amendment issue and honestly selective enforcement. If I were on the jury I'd vote to acquit.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »

If they had made a misleading video that hurt some corporate boss or a farmer who operates a CAFO would they be going to jail? Perhaps I'm wrong but I'd doubt it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 06:05:35 PM »

That said as dishonest as what they did is this is a valid First Amendment issue and honestly selective enforcement. If I were on the jury I'd vote to acquit.

That's my reading of it. They're guilty, but the enforcement is the problem. It's like if anti-abortion activists were suddenly getting speeding tickets for doing 61 in a 60 zone.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies