Non-Directly Political Opinion Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:08:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Non-Directly Political Opinion Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which statements come closest to your beliefs?
1: Yes

1: No

2: Full Bibliographies

2: Simple Link

3: Good for America

3: Bad for America

4: Yes

4: No

5: Merry Christmas

5: Happy Holidays

6: Anti-Black

6: Anti-White

6: Neither

7: Pure Learning

7: Preparation for a Career

8: Yes

8: No

9: Yes

9: No

10: Yes

10: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Non-Directly Political Opinion Poll  (Read 2194 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:37:56 PM »

1. Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
2. Should university classes continue to require full bibliographies, or is a simple link good enough?
3. As a whole, was the sexual revolution good for America or bad for America?
4. Do you actively support using the Metric System?
5. Do you generally say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"?
6. Is there more anti-black or anti-white racism in America today, or does neither exist in significant numbers?
7. Should college classes focus more on pure learning or preparation for a career?
8. Is Wikipedia a generally reliable source?
9. Should college athletes be paid what the market will pay, even if that is millions of dollars?
10. Is it the role of sports to attempt to intervene in social disputes, such as HB2 in NC or the Confederate Flag in SC?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 04:44:09 PM »

1. No.
2. Full bibliographies, as much as they suck to do.
3. I gotta say it was good on the hole.
4. No, though I don't discount its many advantages ... just like the English system.
5. I say Merry Christmas if the person celebrates Christmas, Happy Holidays if I know they don't and a mix between the two to people I'm not sure about.
6. Anti-Black, pretty clearly.
7. Depends on the major, obviously ... finance?  Preparing for a career.  Art?  Probably just learning.
8. Yes, at least for basic facts or background information, though I respect why a professor wouldn't want you quoting it in a bibliography.
9. No, this is ridiculous.
10. The role?  I don't know ... but it's each athlete's right as an individual American to.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »

1. Not sure, but I think it would be better they do, just like "blackskins" would be an inappropriate name.
2. Full bibliographies, even if they're annoying.
3. On a whole, yes, for sure. I think it really helped lgbt people, for example.
4. YES!!! Please go metric, America. It's time to stop being the unique, 'better than you' country.
5. Happy holidays, because I live in a religiously diverse country.
6. Definitely anti-black racism exists more.
7. Learning, lest we turn into a thoughtless society focused on money.
8. I think wikipedia is underestinated.
9. No, it's unsustainable to pay so much to college athletes.
10. Not sure if it's the role, but it's definitely positive and a testament for the free market to some extent.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:57:46 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2017, 05:00:45 PM by heatcharger »

1. Yes. I'm a fan of all Washington sports teams except for them because I hate everything about the organization ranging from Dan Snyder to the name. They could do so much better.
2. Full bibliographies. Links are lazy in the context of academic papers.
3. Yes.
4. Yes, although it might take some time to get used to reading temperatures in Celsius. The metric system is almost completely more rational than the imperial system we have, and most science classes already teach with it.
5. Depends on the situation, but I really don't care about this. It's is one of the weaker battles in the conservative culture war.
6. Anti-black.
7. Depends, but in general, pure learning.
8. What RINO Tom said.
9. I'm not interested in paying college athletes like professionals, however, I am open to restructuring how they are compensated based on certain educational requirements.
10. Sports are social events as well as businesses, so they do have a role, but it's not the role of sports.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2017, 05:01:00 PM by Delegate J_American »

Yes

2. Should university classes continue to require full bibliographies, or is a simple link good enough?
They should require full bibliographies; proper citations are necessary and a good part of education, despite being a bit of an annoyance

It has been very good

We should eventually convert to it, but I don't mind the imperial system

Merry Christmas, unless I know they aren't Christian or not of a Christian cultural background

6. Is there more anti-black or anti-white racism in America today, or does neither exist in significant numbers?
Anti-black racism is far more prevalent and pernicious, obviously

7. Should college classes focus more on pure learning or preparation for a career?
It depends on which subject. Business and STEM programs should definitely focus on career preparation, whereas Humanities programs should focus more on learning

For basic information, yes. But not for anything academic

9. Should college athletes be paid what the market will pay, even if that is millions of dollars?
No

10. Is it the role of sports to attempt to intervene in social disputes, such as HB2 in NC or the Confederate Flag in SC?
Individuals in sports should be free to express their political or religious views within reasonable means and abiding by the rules of their team or league. Sports teams and leagues should be free, as private enterprises, to express their political beliefs as well
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »

1. No
2. Full bibliographies. This may be the law journal editor in me, but I love citations.
3. Good in the sense that our society shouldn't be afraid to talk about sex, but a lot of the developments from the Revolution, I disagree with.
4. I am for the use of the metric system for most things, but think the Queen's measurements are good for driving speed and temperature.
5. If its actually Christmas Eve or Christmas I say Merry Christmas. If I am referring to the whole season through New Years I say Happy Holidays.
6. There is still a lot of systematic anti-black racism that has yet to be fixed. Things might be getting even worse these days.
7. College classes' #1 priority should be career-prep, but your education isn't whole without general knowledge learning.
8. It is a great source, but cite to the citations used in the Wiki.
9. Scholarship to cover all learning and living expenses should be enough. Maybe add a small stipend to cover the extra costs, but that is it.
10. I think if the NCAA or sports leagues are uncomfortable with a local political situation they are fulling within their right to make choices to hold their events there or not. (I will add though that I think the NCAA's handling of the Native American mascot situation was hypocritical and that certain universities faced unfair pressure)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »

No need, but no harm in doing so. Could call 'em the Pigskins and still have a decent name.

They should require full bibliographies; proper citations are necessary and a good part of education, despite being a bit of an annoyance

Bad. In media it's created a glut of laziness with storytelling. In discourse, it's created a bit of identity politics while simultaneously discriminating against asexual people. No one called virgins losers before this. I think there are lots of great things that came out, and I think what was intended that happened is good. But the unintended consequences are worse. We've gone from being afraid of sex to being afraid of people who don't give much of a sh(* about it.

Yes. Except for driving where I do prefer miles

Merry Christmas

Anti-black racism is far more prevalent and pernicious, obviously

There are so many less costly ways to learn all sorts of things besides college. But nearly everything well paying demands a degree of some sort AND with the way debt goes, the money spent might as well do the best possible to land a job

For basic information, yes. But not for anything academic

No. Only what things should cost 'em to live. If there's one place where fiscal conservatism IS needed, it's Collegiate and Professional Sports.

I don't give a f*() about professional sports. Talk to me when Calvinball becomes professional and people take it all less seriously/b]
[/quote]
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2017, 05:23:10 PM by DavidB. »

1. No, don't change name
2. Yes, full bibliographies
3. Some parts of it have been good, but overall bad for America
4. Yes, use metric system (normal European)
5. Merry Christmas to Christians, Happy Hannukah to Jews, happy holidays to those whose religion I don't know. Inclined to support the merry Christmas side of this argument in the less secular U.S.
6. There is more anti-black racism, but unlike most Democrats nowadays seem to think the answer to this problem does not lie in promoting anti-white racism instead
7. Broadening one's academic scope, learning to think critically and deepening one's knowledge of one's main area of study should always be prioritized over employment-related issues in a university, so "pure learning"
8. Wikipedia is pretty good for basic facts (but not for labels of political parties' ideologies!) but often POV, and any information on there should be treated with caution. Voted yes.
9. Universities should not be involved in professional sports. "College sports" is stupid. That said, as long as it exists, I'm fine with people being payed millions of dollars -- as long as there are no unreasonable health risks and there is no unreasonable pressure.
10. No, but this is probably unavoidable.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 05:29:27 PM »

My answers by the way:

1. The Redskins should keep their name.
2. I believe that, for the majority of work, full bibliographies are unnecessary and offer nothing that a link cannot give (and I have even started to see professors noticing this and allowing links)
3. Awful- almost every societal problem in America can be traced back to us losing our morals
4. Keep our system- the costs of learning the new system would be too great, plus some measurements are more practical in the Customary system
5. Merry Christmas
6. Apart from some exceptionally fringe groups with zero influence, racism is dead in America.
7. Job preparation.  If you are going to spend $250,000 over four years, it should be to prepare you to make much more than that.  There is no value to requiring someone going into business to take science classes, for example.
8. Like every other source, it is prone to bias, but the facts are actually just as accurate on Wikipedia as any other encyclopedia.  So yes.
9. Let the free market do its magic.  (Yes, Title IX is a problem here, but it should be heavily modified)
10. No, and it is a shame what the NCAA, ACC, and NBA have done to North Carolina

I'm thinking about making this a self-scoreable quiz with a few different categories if people want.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 05:41:59 PM »

1. Nah.
2. Stick with bibliographies, I suppose.
3. Net positive.
4. I do think metric makes more sense, yeah.
5. I typically say "Merry Christmas".
6. Anti-black racism, obviously.
7. It depends. Learning, I guess.
8. In general, yes.
9. I guess so.
10. Probably not.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »

1: Don't care, but voted no out of a distaste for unnecessary change.
2: Full bibliographies over simple links, since those are the options. Something simpler than full bibliographies might be good, but simple links goes too far.
3: Good.
4: Metric System is much easier, so yes.
5: Happy Holidays, except on Christmas Eve/Day.
6: This one is tough because the two take different forms. There's far more internalized or institutionalized anti-black racism; thus, there are fairly few people who are overt anti-black racists but the racism hurts the community quite a bit; whereas there's very little internalized or institutionalized anti-white racism, but, I would say, more people in minority communities who actually hold overt anti-white racist beliefs; so there are (relatively) a lot of racists but little harm done, at least in the short run. Voted "anti-black", but I don't think it's as simple as what you've reduced it to and it doesn't tell the whole story.
7: Depends on the specific class, but the goal of the university as an institution should be geared more towards "pure learning".
8: Yes.
9: Yes.
10: Voted 'yes' since I think they should be allowed to, but I don't think it is a necessary role.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 08:46:07 PM »

1. Yes. If they were the Brownskins they'd have changed their name fifty years ago.

2. Full bibliographies, because I'm not a heathen.

3. Of course.

4. Yes, because I'm a filthy filthy globalist.

5. I work in the service industry. When the season comes around, I say "I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season" unless I know that someone does not celebrate Christmas (but I live in Maine, so...not much religious diversity here).

6. Anti-black racism and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

7. Pure learning.

8. Wikipedia is generally reliable, but is a secondary source and therefore not as good as the primary sources it derives from.

9. College athletes in many cases go hungry (and I'm not talking about blue chip NFL prospects), and should receive compensation.

10. It is not their role, but they are free to do so.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »

If I wasn't an Eagles fan, I'd lean no because from my understanding, Native Americans don't care about this, so I'm not sure why should but I am an Eagles fan, this seems like it annoys hardcore Redskins fans, and watching the reactions from Dan Snyder and the fanbase would be hilarious, so Yes.

Agree with the consensus that bibliographies are annoying, but useful.

Has it flaws, but good on the whole.

No, don't see any great reason.

Christmas in America is a secular holiday at this point, so I use Merry Christmas.

Anti-black. Saying otherwise is quite telling.

Pure learning.

Yeah.

Lean no on whether college athletes should be paid, but if they were, it definitely shouldn't be based on the market.

Yes.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2017, 12:26:26 AM by bagelman »

1. It would be a good, but they shouldn't be forced to, nor is it an important issue.
2. Simple links. Formalities are elitist.
4. Yes! It's better, simple as that.
5. Either
6. More covert anti-black racism, and a lot of this is within their own community.
7. Preparing for a career.
8. Yes, as long as you're not looking up cities or universities.
9. No
10. No
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 02:43:48 AM »

Yes
Simple Link (lazy academic, normal)
Good for America
Yes
Merry Christmas (European normal)
Anti-Black (not a complete delusional moron)
Pure Learning
Yes, usually
No
No, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do it anyway.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »

1. Should the Washington Redskins change their name? Yes, though preferably they'd just be disbanded.
Full bibliographies. Links change.
Some good effects definitely, but decidedly negative overall.
4. Do you actively support using the Metric System? No. I don't know what has gotten into the rest of the world that they would adopt such a monstrosity.
5. Do you generally say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"? "Merry Christmas." Occasionally "Have a Good Holiday." "Happy Holidays" makes me cringe.
6. Is there more anti-black or anti-white racism in America today, or does neither exist in significant numbers? More anti-black by far, at least in terms of impact, but both are significant.
7. Should college classes focus more on pure learning or preparation for a career? Learning is the basis, within which preparation for a career can be integrated. Industry should take a greater role in career preparation.
8. Is Wikipedia a generally reliable source? It depends on the subject, but I would say most of the time it can be a good place to start.
9. Should college athletes be paid what the market will pay, even if that is millions of dollars? No. That money should be reinvested into the educational mission. A scholarship and a stipend is appropriate.
10. Is it the role of sports to attempt to intervene in social disputes, such as HB2 in NC or the Confederate Flag in SC? No, unless there is real evidence of active discrimination or harm to their athletes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 04:51:51 PM »

1. They can call themselves Zimmy or they can call themselves Ray. You can call them anything, no matter what they say, still gotta serve somebody.
2. Full bibliographies.
3. Net positive.
4. Lol no.
5. Merry Christmas is my go to one but I'll say Happy Holiday if I'm sure I'm dealing with someone who might not celebrate Christmas (a lot of my Haitian friends celebrated it in April IIRC).
6. Obviously anti-black.
7. Learning
8. When the article is heavily locked from the general public, yes.
9. No, they get enough of a free ride already.
10. An individual can say what he or she wants, but there are consequences. Voted yes though I prefer athletes, musicians, and artists not try and politicize what is apolitical.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »

1. They can call themselves Zimmy or they can call themselves Ray. You can call them anything, no matter what they say, still gotta serve somebody.
2. Full bibliographies.
3. Net positive.
4. Lol no.
5. Merry Christmas is my go to one but I'll say Happy Holiday if I'm sure I'm dealing with someone who might not celebrate Christmas (a lot of my Haitian friends celebrated it in April IIRC).
6. Obviously anti-black.
7. Learning
8. When the article is heavily locked from the general public, yes.
9. No, they get enough of a free ride already.
10. An individual can say what he or she wants, but there are consequences. Voted yes though I prefer athletes, musicians, and artists not try and politicize what is apolitical.

I find it interesting that while I disagree with you on most political issues, I agee with most of your answers here (other than metric, which is the biggest question here for me) Tongue
kyc0705

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 05:43:07 PM »

1. Don't care, lean yes.
2. Bibliographies.
3. Good.
4. Not adopting it in the US, but I wish we did the past.
5. Merry Christmas.
6. Anti-black.
7. Learning.
8. For the basic lookup of information, sure! I'm a Wikipedia editor, and I've been part of some really worthwhile projects. However, I do not think it's a reliable source for formal research.
9. No, but they should receive some kind of stipend.
10. If individuals/teams/leagues would like to, sure.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2017, 06:06:44 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

1. Obviously not, critical issue
2. Full bibliographies of course
3. Extremely bad for America leading to our ultimate decline into irredeemability, critical issue
4. Too much to change, but it should be taught.
5. Always Merry Christmas, except when actually celebrating Channukah, critical issue
6. The one that actually exists, duh
7. Always learning because if one understands how to think properly, it becomes very easy to apply in most fields. And knowledge of worldly texts is pretty critical for any adult person.
8. For facts, but obviously don't cite lol, what is this sixth grade?
9. Obviously not, most critical issue that would destroy my life
10. Obviously not, it's absolutely absurd when that stuff ruins things, but I am still happy that is caused The White Nationalist school misery even if it was unjust.

It seems I agree with the majority on all but the sexual revolution (on which I selected the wrong answer...naturally!) and the metric system (ironic Chafee support ended months ago guys)
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »

1. No
2. Full bibliographies - Can't stand inconsise links!
3. Overall bad
4. Australian point of view - Despite being an Australian, I still prefer using some imperial measures (e.g. pounds over kilograms), but don't care about it that much to change it back (Australia's been metric since 1974).
5. Merry Christmas
6. Anti-black
7. Career preparation
8. Generally no - although Wikipedia articles can contain credible sources, a lot of the content is NOT of university-research standard.
9. Yes
10. No
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »

1. Who care?
2. Full bibliographies should be required, links expire.
3. Upsetting the apple cart of human nature and family life was a mistake, actually.
4. Yes
5. Merry Christmas (normal)
6. Anti-black
7. For academics, learning is career preparation.
8. It's a useful supplement, obviously it should not be used as a source.
9. Jesus Christ, no. I wasn't even aware that college players were paid.
10. Don't politicize sportsball.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 08:50:35 AM »

1. Should the Washington Redskins change their name?  If they want to, then they should.  I voted No because I don't necessarily want them to.

2. Should university classes continue to require full bibliographies, or is a simple link good enough?  Full bibliographies.  Very important.

3. As a whole, was the sexual revolution good for America or bad for America?  Yes.

4. Do you actively support using the Metric System?  Of course.

5. Do you generally say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"?  I say Merry Christmas if I want to wish someone a Merry Christmas and I say Happy Holidays if I want to wish someone happy holidays.  Odd question.  I voted for both.

6. Is there more anti-black or anti-white racism in America today, or does neither exist in significant numbers?  Probably more anti-black.

7. Should college classes focus more on pure learning or preparation for a career?  I voted for Pure learning, because I see education as an end in itself rather than a means to an end, but I think it can do both well.

8. Is Wikipedia a generally reliable source?  Generally, yes.  If I want to know who did the voice of Boomhauer I'd go to Wikipedia and not bother to verify it.  On the other hand, if I wanted critical analysis of the causes of a war, then obviously I'd look elsewhere.

9. Should college athletes be paid what the market will pay, even if that is millions of dollars?  Probably not, but I don't have a strong opinion on this and I knew that I would need to leave one blank because I voted for both options in number 5 so I left this one blank.

10. Is it the role of sports to attempt to intervene in social disputes, such as HB2 in NC or the Confederate Flag in SC?  I don't think so.  The role of sports is already outsized.  I think its role should contract, if anything.  The role of sports should be simply sports.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »

1. Should the Washington Redskins change their name? Don't care.
2. Should university classes continue to require full bibliographies, or is a simple link good enough? Bibliography
3. As a whole, was the sexual revolution good for America or bad for America? Good
4. Do you actively support using the Metric System? No.
5. Do you generally say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"? Depends on who I'm talking to.
6. Is there more anti-black or anti-white racism in America today, or does neither exist in significant numbers? More anti-black, especially within organizations
7. Should college classes focus more on pure learning or preparation for a career? Learning, definitely
8. Is Wikipedia a generally reliable source? Yes, but it's also pretty easy to check if you want to make sure.
9. Should college athletes be paid what the market will pay, even if that is millions of dollars? No.
10. Is it the role of sports to attempt to intervene in social disputes, such as HB2 in NC or the Confederate Flag in SC? No.
Kyng
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 04:47:39 AM »

1. Lean yes. I'd be happy if they changed it on their own terms, but I don't think they should be forced into it. 
2. Full bibliographies.
3. Net positive, but only because of the LGBT stuff. Take that out, and it probably becomes a net negative.
4. Generally support it (although using it for road-related issues would take quite a lot of getting used to; that's practically the only area where we still favour the Imperial system here in the UK)
5. Merry Christmas. Here in the UK, we normally say "Merry Christmas", and sometimes "Season's Greetings", but never "Happy Holidays".
6. Anti-black.
7. Depends on the subject, although I'd lean towards pure learning (unless it's a trade school or something like that).
8. Yes. It's still useless as a reference in a bibliography (simply because it changes so fast), but for informal research it's fine.
9. This issue doesn't really exist in the UK, and I don't know enough about it in the USA to have formed an opinion either way. So, I didn't vote. 
10. I'd prefer it if sports and politics didn't mix (simply because politics divides people, and I want sports to be able to bring people together). However, individual athletes retain the right to intervene in social disputes if they wish. I'd say Lean No.

(Wow, I think I have too many non-committal Moderate Hero stances Tongue !) 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies