Missing the obvious for 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:00:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Missing the obvious for 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Missing the obvious for 2020?  (Read 2224 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »
« edited: March 29, 2017, 07:10:40 PM by Progressive »

If Tom Perriello is elected VAGov, could he jolt to the front as a front runner in the Dem nomination?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »

Sure but that is a big IF when it comes to beating Northman
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »

I've never heard Perriello speak; does he have Obama or even Kander-level youthful charisma?  Because you need to be kind of that type of legendary charismatic figure that Obama was when he gave his speech as a state senator to have that sort of quick meteoric rise IMO.  

He'd be governor for 1 year and then basically have to start frantically laying the seeds for a 2020 run, seems implausible if he isn't already currently in 2017 being whispered about as a presidential figure by the Dem establishment like Obama was circa 2004.

ETA:  Schumer and other party leaders helping and even pushing obama into laying a 2008 groundwork was vitally important to both his decision to run and his win
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:53:39 PM »

I've never heard Perriello speak; does he have Obama or even Kander-level youthful charisma?  Because you need to be kind of that type of legendary charismatic figure that Obama was when he gave his speech as a state senator to have that sort of quick meteoric rise IMO.  

He'd be governor for 1 year and then basically have to start frantically laying the seeds for a 2020 run, seems implausible if he isn't already currently in 2017 being whispered about as a presidential figure by the Dem establishment like Obama was circa 2004.

ETA:  Schumer and other party leaders helping and even pushing obama into laying a 2008 groundwork was vitally important to both his decision to run and his win
I saw his recent interview on MSNBC and he looked very strong. He's really good at talking about issues that the working class want to hear. If he manages to win the primary after an endorsement from say, Sanders, I think he'd be an interesting candidate for 2020.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:38:52 PM »

I saw his recent interview on MSNBC and he looked very strong. He's really good at talking about issues that the working class want to hear. If he manages to win the primary after an endorsement from say, Sanders, I think he'd be an interesting candidate for 2020.

You raise an interesting point in that Sanders may have the potential to lift somebody out of relative nowhere with his endorsement
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:03:54 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2017, 11:09:28 PM by Frodo »

I'm surprised so many Sanders followers support Tom Perriello, given he is arguably the Bernie Bro equivalent of Hillary Clinton -oozing with insincerity and inauthenticity.  He only changed his stripes from being a moderate conservative Virginia congressman to becoming basically a Sanders Democrat when he licked his forefinger and stuck it up in the air to see which way the wind was blowing.  

I thought that was why you absolutely hated her -unless, of course, it's okay if that candidate is one of yours. 

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 11:53:25 PM »

I'm surprised so many Sanders followers support Tom Perriello, given he is arguably the Bernie Bro equivalent of Hillary Clinton -oozing with insincerity and inauthenticity.  He only changed his stripes from being a moderate conservative Virginia congressman to becoming basically a Sanders Democrat when he licked his forefinger and stuck it up in the air to see which way the wind was blowing.  

I thought that was why you absolutely hated her -unless, of course, it's okay if that candidate is one of yours. 

I am a Sanders supporter (who would probably vote Perriello if I lived in VA) who doesn't hate Hillary Clinton. Some of us supported him because we liked him, not because we disliked Clinton.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »

Anyway, I think the reason he doesn't get brought up more often is because people don't want to count their chickens before they hatch. But if he wins, and decides to run for President, I'd seriously consider supporting him. The nice thing about him though is that he'll still be "young" in 2024 and 2028, so we can keep him as an option for the future.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 07:10:31 AM »

He played it off as representing his constituents' interests. Economically he's way more progressive than Clinton, and economic progressivism matters a lot to Bernie supporters.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 07:33:06 AM »

If Tom Perriello is elected VAGov, could he jolt to the front as a front runner in the Dem nomination?

I'd say he'll be more of a VP pick than a Presidential candidate. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 01:54:12 PM »

How about a Gillibrand/Periello ticket?  Their slogan:

"Gillibrand/Periello 2020: Maybe a woman from New York and a man from Virginia can actually win this time?"
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »

He's running for Governor, not Senate.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »

How about a Gillibrand/Periello ticket?  Their slogan:

"Gillibrand/Periello 2020: Maybe a woman from New York and a man from Virginia can actually win this time?"

I think a better strategy would be copying a successful ticket: Schumer/Donnelly, Durbin/Coons, Castro/Freudenthal, or Beebe/Cohen.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »

Yes, if he manages to topple both Northam and Gillespie, his career could zoom.  He will get a long, hard look in a 2020 primary, particularly if he manages to thread the needle and combine 2008 rural numbers with 2016 suburban numbers.  But those are a lot of ifs. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »

In seriousness, if the Dem. presidential nominee is *not* a white male, then I think Periello is as likely as anyone to end up on the VP short list next time....assuming he's elected governor this year.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »

I could see him being a candidate in 2024, presuming he's elected this year and there's a GOP victory in 2020.

I'm not sure how seriously he gets considered as a VP choice only because I don't see how he would complement any of the probable presidential candidates.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »

While Virginia used to be a good state for a Democrat to come from, that changed in 2016. Virginia Democrats can't win statewide without support from NoVa, and NoVa is heavily connected with beltway identity, which is poison out in Ohio.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 08:35:29 PM »

While Virginia used to be a good state for a Democrat to come from, that changed in 2016. Virginia Democrats can't win statewide without support from NoVa, and NoVa is heavily connected with beltway identity, which is poison out in Ohio.

Perriello doesn't really give off a Washington operative vibe, though.  McAuliffe would be the textbook example of someone who can only win in a state adjacent to DC.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »

In seriousness, if the Dem. presidential nominee is *not* a white male, then I think Periello is as likely as anyone to end up on the VP short list next time....assuming he's elected governor this year.

Normally I'd agree, but I would be shocked if a Democrat chose a non-Senator as their VP.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »

Normally I'd agree, but I would be shocked if a Democrat chose a non-Senator as their VP.

With how many R governors are out there and the senate being ~51D/49R at best even in scenarios where Trump loses in 2020, that seems quite unwise.  Even if there is a Dem Gov as in VA last year, why risk a special when there's no margin for error for Senate Dems for the foreseeable future?  And with all the anti-establishment sentiment out there, adding someone from Congress to the ticket might be unwise?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »

He should be considered along with Steve Bullock as Veep material alongside Cory Booker
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »

I see him as strong presidential material assuming he wins the Gubernatorial bid. He's exactly the type of person Democrats need on their bench. If he ran in the primary I think I'd vote for him over almost anybody. Mostly because he seems more electable than someone like Warren who I love to death.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 08:51:41 PM »

He'll be a candidate in 2024 (assuming he's elected Governor of VA), and not 2020.  He needs to compile a solid record as Governor and finish the job.  He'll have the possibility of being popular when he leaves office. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 08:36:10 PM »

He's weak sauce. Lost reelection and I doubt he wins the primary. Even if he did, Virginia limits you to one term so he wouldn't have enough experience compared to other two term governors of other states (Cuomo). He would been seen as a moderate in the Dem primary with almost no name recognituon. People here struggle to id or even remember him, his term ended in January 2011.

He may be seen as Jimmy Carter circa 1976.  Carter was only a one-term Governor, but he finished his entire term and didn't spend most of his time in office running for President.  He also involved himself in the DGA (Democratic Governor's Association) and accumulated a few political debts.  He didn't announce until 1975 (the process wasn't as long then as now) and he got credit for finishing his term.  Carter was viewed as an outsider, but not as inexperienced and unprepared.

Periello, if he were elected Governor, would be able to run for President in 2024 as a guy who finished the job as Governor without running all around America for most of his term.  He'll have executive experience in politics and people will have a good idea of seeing what he'll do in terms of dealing with a legislature, government organization, etc.  He won't have the advantage Jimmy Carter had of being perceived as a candidate who could bring the entire South back into the Democratic fold, but the name of the game is different now. 
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »

He should be considered along with Steve Bullock as Veep material alongside Cory Booker
Having a New Jerseyite and a Virginian might be too Mid-Atlantic, not to mention they'd be seen as two liberals. Having Bullock, who's from the center of the country and more moderate, would be a better balance to Booker.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies