Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2017, 07:41:00 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Constitution and Law (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Congress is killed. What happens?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Congress is killed. What happens?  (Read 1481 times)
bmaup1
Rookie
View Profile
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:18:09 pm »
Ignore

Though it seems pretty impossible, if both houses of congress was killed what happens? Seriously, in London that awful guy got pretty close to their congress. Whats to say something like that doesn't happen here. If that was to happen here and both houses were killed, what happens to the US? We can't possibly make laws before their re-elected. And if we do, it would be the executive branch taking over both powers. Making it able to just rule over the governmental level on federal grounds fully? Or do we just go without making new laws, without being able to declare war, or what ever other powers the congress holds for how ever long emergency elections take?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:46:44 pm »
Ignore

Governors would appoint temporary senators and schedule special house elections. A worse scenario is where a very small number remain alive. While the self imposed rules define how large a quorum must be, there is no constitutional rule. This would be an interesting supreme court challenge to see if 3 hypothetical surviving house members could change the house quorum rules and then pass bills as a 3 person body.

Robespierre, The Musical
Kalwejt
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 12:48:51 pm »
Ignore

Governors would appoint temporary senators and schedule special house elections.

Some states doesn't permit senatorial appointments (like Oregon or Wisconsin).

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:53:00 pm »
Ignore

Governors would appoint temporary senators and schedule special house elections.

I had no idea until now. According to NCSL, 36 States permit gubernatorial appointments.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/vacancies-in-the-united-states-senate.aspx

Virginia
Virginia C
Moderators
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 03:09:32 pm »
Ignore

I had no idea until now. According to NCSL, 36 States permit gubernatorial appointments.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/vacancies-in-the-united-states-senate.aspx

It is not inconceivable to see the other remaining states quickly passing bills to allow appointments (assuming it isn't baked into the state constitution). I'm sure Oklahoma would make haste if the only ones left in Congress were Bernie Sanders, Liz Warren, Sherrod Brown, Nancy Pelosi and Donna Edwards. Likewise for Oregon if only Cruz, Paul, Gohmert, etc.

Also worth noting is that even among the states listed as having special elections for the senate, most still allow interim appointments, although with a plethora of caveats. When you factor that in, it seems like the vast majority of the states could at least somewhat quickly send a new Senator.

bmaup1
Rookie
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:47:46 pm »
Ignore

That is so fascinating! I can't wait to share this with my teacher! Thanks you guys.
Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 02:20:44 am »
Ignore

If you scroll down you'll see that all but 5 states have gubernatorial appointments.

Note: I am not actually British.

Great Again III: The Mocking of Sessions
Old Europe
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:29:53 am »
Ignore

Seriously, in London that awful guy got pretty close to their congress.

He would have destroyed Parliament with his car?

We will immediately repeal and replace ObamaCare - and nobody can do that like me. We will save $'s and have much better healthcare!

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 9, 2016

Obama's complaints about Republicans stopping his agenda are BS since he had full control for two years. He can never take responsibility.

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 26, 2012
Adam T
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 11:39:54 am »
Ignore

the 'documentary' "Mars Attacks!" dealt with this very situation. Cheesy

Proposed phrase for a radical centrist: Empathy for all sides, commitment to none.
FairBol
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 12:03:45 pm »
Ignore

Though it seems pretty impossible, if both houses of congress was killed what happens? Seriously, in London that awful guy got pretty close to their congress. Whats to say something like that doesn't happen here. If that was to happen here and both houses were killed, what happens to the US? We can't possibly make laws before their re-elected. And if we do, it would be the executive branch taking over both powers. Making it able to just rule over the governmental level on federal grounds fully? Or do we just go without making new laws, without being able to declare war, or what ever other powers the congress holds for how ever long emergency elections take?

Not sure if you know this, but every year during the State of the Union Address, one Cabinet member stays behind in a secure location.  This is in case, God forbid, the unthinkable ever happens.  The selected member is known as the "designated survivor". 

The plan is that if Congress (during the speech) is ever destroyed by a catastrophic attack (and the president, VP, and Speaker of the House all killed, assumedly), this Cabinet member then automatically becomes the President of the United States.  As such, he gets the job of rebuilding the federal government.  The ABC US show "Designated Survivor" deals with one such scenario. 

FairBol (F-FL)
Candidate for Southern Chamber of Delegates

Also Andrew N. Harris, Esq, Attorney At Law (for game purposes)

I'm not actually from Florida, I just represent it on TV. Smiley

"These are the times that try men's souls" -- Thomas Paine

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice; moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue" -- Senator Barry Goldwater

PS4: JupBol16
PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 02:47:25 pm »
Ignore

Kiefer Sutherland goes from earnest academic do-gooder to the President who can Do What It Takes to save America from the Forces of Evil.
Birch Bayh 2020
Serious_Username
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »
Ignore

Kiefer Sutherland goes from earnest academic do-gooder to the President who can Do What It Takes to save America from the Forces of Evil.

Including a Montana senator who looks suspiciously like Jon Tester.

Somenamelessfool
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 03:37:16 pm »
Ignore

apology for poor english

when were you when corndress dies?

i was vote demagogue when cort ring

congress is kill

no

TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 08:57:54 pm »
Ignore

That guy pisses me off so much.

The tv guy, not Tester

Moderate Republican

"It is time that the great center of our people, who reject the violence and unreasonableness of both the extreme right and the extreme left, searched their consciences, mustered their moral and physical courage, shed their intimidated silence, and declare their consciences." -Margaret Chase Smith

Birch Bayh 2020
Serious_Username
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 09:32:13 pm »
Ignore

That guy pisses me off so much.

The tv guy, not Tester

Right?! That character is just so smarmy and seems like such a know-it-all.

President Johnson
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 05:39:16 am »
Ignore

States could change their laws and allow the governor to appoint a senator. But that would require that state lawmakers quickly meet, pass a bill that goes into effect immediately after being signed.

Socially liberal, economically moderate, fiscally lean conservative.

There is no problem that cannot be solved. - Nelson Rockefeller

Steve Bullock and/or Kamala Harris 2020
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 05:49:45 am »
Ignore

I could see Hawaii winning the race to have the first elected representatives. Ed Case was elected just 25 days after Patty Mink was posthumously re-elected. I don't know if any other state would bother with a special election after the regular November election to the unexpired house term.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:51:27 am by ○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└ »Logged

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 05:43:10 pm »
Ignore

Problem is, even with 70-odd appointed Senators within a few weeks, you'd still have a dysfunctional House of Representatives without a quorum for months and months.

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
rbk
CrabCake
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 06:31:05 pm »
Ignore

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/RS21089.pdf

http://www.aei.org/publication/what-if-congress-were-obliterated/

These links may be useful. Personally I feel there would be a long period of martial law and a possible breakdown of constitutional law, especially if there are simultaneous hits to other branches of government; before congress is fully reconstituted.

]
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 06:48:52 pm »
Ignore

I could see Hawaii winning the race to have the first elected representatives. Ed Case was elected just 25 days after Patty Mink was posthumously re-elected. I don't know if any other state would bother with a special election after the regular November election to the unexpired house term.
That would be interesting if Case got back in Congress.

Would both surviving House members get seniority? What about the former Representstives who run for office?

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
brucejoel99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -6.26

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 03:33:40 pm »
Ignore

If there were mass vacancies in the House of Representatives or large #s of incapacitated members of the House or Senate, Congress would be unable to function for many months, leaving a vacuum in constitutional legislative authority. The Constitution provides only 1 method, a special election, for filling House vacancies. These elections take many months to hold while the seat remains vacant. If there were 100s of House vacancies, the House might be unable to meet its constitutional quorum requirement of 1/2 the membership & would be unable to transact business. An alternative scenario, under a lenient quorum interpretation, would be the House continuing to operate w/ a small # of representatives, leaving most of the country unrepresented. The Constitution also doesn't provide an effective way for filling temporary vacancies that occur when members are incapacitated. W/ the real dangers of biological weapons, both the Senate & the House could be crippled if a large # of members were very sick & unable to perform their duties. The continuity of Congress also affects the presidency, as leaders of Congress are in the line of presidential succession. If the House of Representatives, decimated after an attack, elected a new Speaker, that Speaker could become president for the remainder of the term.

It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped. -- Hubert Humphrey
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: -6.26

P P

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 06:34:35 pm »
Ignore

I think it would be a reasonable fudge if a majority of the House of Representatives were killed that whatever survivors happened to be out of town would be able to rewrite the rules to declare themselves to be a quorum, or even a majority (amusingly the likeliest reason for someone to be absent is medical treatment, so we could be stuck with a disproportionately old, sick House...). Much of the regular business of the House would ground to a halt but urgently necessary legislation could still be passed.

The same would be true for the Senate in the immediate aftermath of the attack, though it would quickly be refilled, since most states permit Governors to appoint whoever they want and there would be a clear both national and state interest to fill those seats as quickly as possible. Without much time to interview possible replacements, I could see the new Senate quickly fill up with Carte Goodwin/Jeff Chiesa types (convenient, trustworthy lackies of incumbent Governors) until the next elections.

I will NOT be accepting any result other than a victory for America's next President, Governor Gary Earl Johnson Angry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout