Pence Won’t Have Dinner With A Woman Who Isn’t His Wife
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:55:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pence Won’t Have Dinner With A Woman Who Isn’t His Wife
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Do you agree with Mike Pence? Do you think it perpetuates gender inequality?
1. Agree

1. Disagree

2. Yes

2. No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Pence Won’t Have Dinner With A Woman Who Isn’t His Wife  (Read 6784 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2017, 04:19:16 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58dd1740e4b05eae031d949c?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »

disagree obviously
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »

Downright ridiculous
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2017, 04:48:39 PM by Chairman (with limited role) of the 2020 Trump campaign »

Well, it comes across as a bit creepy. Makes it sound as if Mike Pence can't be trusted to be left alone with other women because he could try to seduce/rape them.

But then again, it's the Pences' business, I guess.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:44:47 PM »

Did he also practice celibacy before his wedding night?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »

so if he became President he wouldn't meet Theresa May alone? What a kook.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »

This isn't unusual for married couples, but obviously there have to be some exceptions for clearly work-related things.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:48:42 PM »

What do you mean do I "agree" with Mike Pence?  Do I think he should eat dinner with other women?     How should I know?  I'm not him, I don't know what goes on in his head and I'm not privy to inside information about him and his wife and what they think their relationship requires.  Give me a break.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »

This is interesting.

Slick Bill goes out of his way to avoid to nasty wretched loser that he is married to, and Weiner sends out pictures of....well, you know.

I guess Pence likes his wife?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »

Well, it comes across as a bit creepy. Makes it sound as if Mike Pence can't be trusted to be left alone with other women because he could try to seduce/rape them.

But then again, it's the Pences' business, I guess.

The overt religious types generally can't be trusted on their own. Remember Bushie and what happened when he put alcohol and women together?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »

so if he became President he wouldn't meet Theresa May alone? What a kook.

He could meet with her, just not have dinner with her.  Tongue

This reminds me of the Gary Bauer 2000 presidential campaign, where he had a female twenty-something aide who he would often meet with, and some folks in the Christian conservative movement accused him of having an affair, simply because he would sometimes close the door when he was meeting with her, and that apparently makes it a sin.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »

I wouldn't personally abstain from that practice, but they have every right to make decisions about their relationship as they see fit.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 05:01:02 PM »

A married man should not be having dinner with another woman, unless that other woman is his sister, daughter, mother, or grand mother, you get the picture.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »

so married men shouldn't be friends with ANY women?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 05:03:56 PM »

A married man should not be having dinner with another woman, unless that other woman is his sister, daughter, mother, or grand mother, you get the picture.

Or you know, in his case if it's for actual business purposes, or if he has friends that are women, colleges, etc. If the reason is because you can't control yourself alone with women than you're a sleaze ball.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 05:13:02 PM »

I strongly disagree with Pence, obviously—I’m an unmarried straight man with mostly female friends and a virgin at twenty-four—and I think this is a terrible rule for a public figure to have, but I also think it’s silly to descend into histrionics about it being intrinsically sexist for couples to have boundaries like this.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 05:13:43 PM »

I took it to mean that he really really wants to prove to his wife that he's a trusting, monogamous man.

That implies that Pence feels the need to prove to his wife that he isn't an adulterer by deliberately limiting his contact to other women to the absolutely necessary minimum. Sounds more like the opposite of "trust" to me. (And yes, it also implies that he primarily regards women as "people you can have sex with".)

But yeah... whatever. It isn't exactly like they're showcasing this aspect of their lives to everyone. He happened to mention it to the press 15 years ago. If they want to be weird, they have a right to be weird. Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »

Everyone should be able to define their own boundaries without imposing them on others.

I don't agree with Mike Pence, but if he and his wife are comfortable with the arrangement, let's leave it at that.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 05:26:56 PM »

Man  the lamestream media has become desperate to smear the administration.

This is just sad the way the press carries on.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »

Man  the lamestream media has become desperate to smear the administration.

This is just sad the way the press carries on.

Deflection does not compute, try again.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 06:02:45 PM »

I strongly disagree with Pence, obviously—I’m an unmarried straightman with mostly female friends and a virgin at twenty-four—and I think this is a terrible rule for a public figure to have, but I also think it’s silly to descend into histrionics about it being intrinsically sexist for couples to have boundaries like this.

?

Everyone should be able to define their own boundaries without imposing them on others.

I don't agree with Mike Pence, but if he and his wife are comfortable with the arrangement, let's leave it at that.

I agree. If he in anyway asks her to adhere to this rule and she privately doesn't want to, then I would have an issue with that.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2017, 06:09:06 PM by DavidB. »

This is not my business but Mike Pence and his wife's. If they feel this works best for them, who am I to say they should behave differently? Edit: So yeah, what Ebowed said.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 06:10:01 PM »

Women would obviously just get in the way of what Mike is really after Cheesy

Did he also practice celibacy before his wedding night?

I hope so, otherwise this man is completely irredeemable.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 06:24:52 PM »

My wife and I practice a variation of this. I had no idea it was remotely controversial until today's kerfluffle.

I took it to mean that he really really wants to prove to his wife that he's a trusting, monogamous man.

That implies that Pence feels the need to prove to his wife that he isn't an adulterer by deliberately limiting his contact to other women to the absolutely necessary minimum. Sounds more like the opposite of "trust" to me. (And yes, it also implies that he primarily regards women as "people you can have sex with".)

That's not the reason why Evangelicals promote the practice though. People (both on Atlas and off) have setup this ridiculous strawman that it's because men can't be trusted or something.

The logic behind it is to:

a) Avoid the appearance of evil

and

b) Stop adultery before it starts

Most people aren't going to start sleeping with their staffer the second they're alone. But throw in some late nights working together and a bit of booze, and yeah maybe something might happen. By avoiding these situations you make adultery much less likely, since one's willpower is tested a lot less with the rules, than after you've developed feelings and been drinking.

People apply the same logic to diets all the time, but no one calls you a glutton if you decide not to buy junk food at the grocery store to avoid testing your willpower at home.

I strongly disagree with Pence, obviously—I’m an unmarried straight man with mostly female friends and a virgin at twenty-four—and I think this is a terrible rule for a public figure to have, but I also think it’s silly to descend into histrionics about it being intrinsically sexist for couples to have boundaries like this.

The 'don't judge' crowd seems to be quite judgy about this.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »

Every couple has arrived to their current place through experiences people on the outside haven't shared. If it works for them it works for them. Who cares.

I don't see anything inherently sexist about this, BTW. A little old fashioned maybe, but the Pences are devout evangelicals. This should surprise nobody
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies