If someone wrote a timeline of real events from 1997-2017 20 years ago...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:32:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If someone wrote a timeline of real events from 1997-2017 20 years ago...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If someone wrote a timeline of real events from 1997-2017 20 years ago...  (Read 503 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »

Sorry if this is the wrong board for this.  Not sure where it belongs...

Suppose it's June 1997, and you're on an Atlas-like internet forum, and you read someone's detailed timeline of the next 20 years of US history (can expand to world history, but the focus is on the US).  What parts would you consider the most unrealistic?

(e.g., Lewinsky scandal, 2000 election fiasco, 9/11 and subsequent wars, presidents Obama and Trump, etc.)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »

President Obama and President Trump both seem incredibly far fetched.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 02:48:01 PM »

President Obama and President Trump both seem incredibly far fetched.
If someone predicted in 2003 that five years later we would elect a President whose middle name was Hussein, that would have seemed farfetched.

VT was already pretty Democratic by 1997, but WV being one of the strongest states for the GOP would also seem farfetched. Ditto for PA voting to the right of VA.

I would say few in 1997, at least in the US, would have predicted the harmony between mainstream western feminism and Islam, with many feminists seeing the burqa or hijab as a symbol of female solidarity and empowerment, rather than oppression.

Also, I think few would have predicted we would have had a (half) Black President, but not a female one.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 04:59:46 PM »

I mean, I would be 2, so I don't think I would be able to understand what any of it says.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »

Also, I think few would have predicted we would have had a (half) Black President, but not a female one.

But I'd like to differentiate between "wouldn't have predicted that" and "would find unrealistic".  There are plenty of scenarios that someone might not have predicted on their own if asked to make up their own future history, yet if they read it in someone else's future history, it wouldn't seem too far fetched.  E.g., maybe you'd guess that we'd have a female president before a black one, but a black president first (from the perspective of 1997) wouldn't have sounded unrealistic.  I'd say that "President Trump" would have seemed far fetched though.

Or rather, if you actually described all the things that Trump did and said, then it might have seemed unrealistic that he'd both win the nomination and the general election.

Come to think of it, Hillary Clinton becoming such a prominent political figure for so long might be seen as unrealistic.  "Yeah, right.  The nominees in 2016 are Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump?  You're just trying to keep bringing back the Clinton family over and over again, to avoid writing something new.  It's unlikely that the nominees in 20 years are going to be people we've heard of today."
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 02:00:18 PM »

the 2008 financial crisis would seem pretty dramatic and overdid against the backdrop of the 1990s Internet boom

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2017, 03:22:41 PM by Da-Jon »

Political Polarization where the Congress were dominated by Conservatives and we had Democratic and Republican presidents who have been able to stabalize the economy.  But, many people are still left out of the economic success that started in the early 1990's. With the ending of welfare and getting people back on their feet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies