Do Millennial Men Want Stay-at-Home Wives?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:53:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do Millennial Men Want Stay-at-Home Wives?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you believe the ideal heterosexual relationship arrangement includes stay-at-home wives?
Yes (under 18)

No (under 18)

Yes (18-25)

No (18-25)

Yes (25-34)

No (25-34)

Yes (35 and older)

No (35 and older)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 104

Author Topic: Do Millennial Men Want Stay-at-Home Wives?  (Read 7575 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/opinion/sunday/do-millennial-men-want-stay-at-home-wives.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »

Without kids in the house I would be fine with either although I have always favored having a stay at home wife.
Once kids are in the home, at least until school age, I certainly think it is preferable. If I have kids I dont want to outsource parenting duties to a day care center. Sure this could be taken care of by a stay at home dad and I have no issue with that either.

But I am a person who considers family more important than career. Having extra money from dual incomes, much like getting more money in a higher position by working longer hours, are not things that appeal to me.

But in this age there are at home businesses that can be done so it is not like one has to completely abandon work in order to stay home either.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:12:45 PM »

That corresponds well with the prediction that Neil Howe and William Strauss made in the 90's books about generational cycles. They suspected that millennials will, just like their G.I. great grandparents did, turn to more traditional gender roles after some event sometime around 2005 shifts the national mood. That event ended up being the 2008 financial crisis.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 07:20:49 PM »

Ideally yes but also ideally I'd be home too, so......
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »

Yes (patriarchal scumbag, irredeemable, deplorable misogynist etc.)

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »

I don't want children or even to get married, really, but if I did both I'd want to be a stay at home dad. Ideally we'd both work from home.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »

Uh, no.

At least I don't, the boring social conservatives can.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »

If I have a wife rather than a husband, she can do what she wants in regards to her career or lack thereof, as long as the household has enough metaphorical bacon to feed ourselves and the kids.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 08:28:55 PM »

My wife just became a housewife. It's not ideal for everyone, but I have to say it's working out nicely for us so far.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »

I believe that the ideal family with children should have one parent staying home, but it should be just as likely to be the husband as the wife. Not sure how I should vote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 08:38:10 PM »

My own... predispositions would want a partner that is both around my education level and yet just retrograde enough to tolerate my idiosyncrasies. The women I attend school with combine these qualities to some extent; they also sarcastically discuss marriage frequently (God knows why). One mentioned that we could get hitched as long as she could work and I watched the kids, I told her it was a compromise I was willing to make as long as I had at least one evening a week to teach class. In all seriousness, if my wife were willing to take up such a role, good for her. Otherwise, we'd make it work. I'd have no intentions of being a full-time stay-at-homer, however, and I could understand why my hypothetical other wouldn't want to either.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »

I don't trust anyone who is satisfied with working less than 40 hours per week enough to feel comfortable marrying such a person. Of course, you don't control who you fall in love with, so that may mean nothing.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 08:47:06 PM »

This is a genuinely surprising result.  Could a generation or 2 of red states having more children than blue states be starting to matter?  But if that were the case, how on earth did gay rights advance so quickly over the same time period?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:00:24 PM »

This is a genuinely surprising result.  Could a generation or 2 of red states having more children than blue states be starting to matter?  But if that were the case, how on earth did gay rights advance so quickly over the same time period?

I don't think it's so much that, but maybe that's the case.

Millennials attitude towards gays is more live and let live: "If people want to get married to the same sex so what? Who am I to judge?"

But maybe when it comes to raising their own children they'd prefer to be economically well off enough to only have to rely on one income while their wives can raise their kids at home. A lot of millennials were hit hard during the Great Recession when they were trying to start their careers. The G.I. generation came into the labor market under a similar circumstance with the Depression and look at the family situation and economic system they sought to build Post-WWII. Perhaps these sentiments spring forth from a generation that comes out of a post financial crisis economy?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »

Pretty much confirms my view that we've been losing ground on women's rights since the mid-1990s. The Handmaid's Tale may be reality by the 2040s.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 09:20:09 PM »

Pretty much confirms my view that we've been losing ground on women's rights since the mid-1990s. The Handmaid's Tale may be reality by the 2040s.

The women's rights movement has been floundering for a long time. If a Conservative SCOTUS overturns Roe V Wade, it might ironically re-spark the movement.

Despite some pushback by the annoying right wing religious zealouts, women still have it fairly good in the US...so much so that they don't feel a need to fight for more rights

Women have been losing ground for 20 years. Every other liberal identity group- gays, trans, minorities, have made gains but not women. They have been fighting (see the women's match, Hillary campaign), but our society has been getting increasingly misogynistic. Now Democrats are raving about overturning abortion rights. In the 1970s only Republicans debates that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 09:37:53 PM »

Your concern trolling is profoundly uninspiring.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »

The women's rights movement has been floundering for a long time. If a Conservative SCOTUS overturns Roe V Wade, it might ironically re-spark the movement.

Despite some pushback by the annoying right wing religious zealouts, women still have it fairly good in the US...so much so that they don't feel a need to fight for more rights

Women have been losing ground for 20 years. Every other liberal identity group- gays, trans, minorities, have made gains but not women. They have been fighting (see the women's match, Hillary campaign), but our society has been getting increasingly misogynistic. Now Democrats are raving about overturning abortion rights. In the 1970s only Republicans debates that.

The idea that a desire for a stay-at-home wife is misogynistic might have something to do with that. As I said above, I would prefer to marry a woman who works full-time. If another man prefers to work and marry a homemaker, and he can find a woman to marry who prefers to be one, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Saying that there is something wrong with that (as I saw someone insinuate last year in regards to Donald and Melania Trump) boils down to trying to control how people live their lives. It's not suddenly any better when this campaign of control is waged in the name of a feminist cause, and people are not going to be comfortable with being told that their preferences are sexist.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 10:04:09 PM »

The idea that a desire for a stay-at-home wife is misogynistic might have something to do with that. As I said above, I would prefer to marry a woman who works full-time. If another man prefers to work and marry a homemaker, and he can find a woman to marry who prefers to be one, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Saying that there is something wrong with that (as I saw someone insinuate last year in regards to Donald and Melania Trump) boils down to trying to control how people live their lives. It's not suddenly any better when this campaign of control is waged in the name of a feminist cause, and people are not going to be comfortable with being told that their preferences are sexist.

I never said there was something wrong with that at an individual level.

But the idea that a big part of feminism hasn't been a push to get women out of the kitchen and into the work force is dishonest. That was the biggest achievement of late 20th century feminism. It gave women a measure of financial independence, power in society, and the ability to utilize their talents and skills for something other than child rearing.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »

If anything, the Democratic Party is more supportive of abortion rights than at any point in the past.

Atlas is a political dumpster, so it doesn't count.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »

Well as a young millennial man I think I'm a few years my wife will hopefully stay home when we have kids but work once they get a bit older. I don't think everybody has to live that way but I do think traditional gender roles have some merit.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 10:10:39 PM »

No, I like women who talk to me.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »

If anything, the Democratic Party is more supportive of abortion rights than at any point in the past.

Atlas is a political dumpster, so it doesn't count.

Bernie Sanders has said it's negotiable. As far as I know, he's not on Atlas. Atlas Democrats always mention abortion rights as the first issue to give up, even though it's already in the worst shape in 20 years. There is no evidence Trump won due to his stance on abortion. Romeny was pro-life as well, and he lost.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »

What's that supposed to imply?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »