Paraguayan Senate secretly votes to allow presidential reelection, riots ensue. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:33:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Paraguayan Senate secretly votes to allow presidential reelection, riots ensue. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paraguayan Senate secretly votes to allow presidential reelection, riots ensue.  (Read 717 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: April 01, 2017, 04:25:10 AM »

Interestingly this also paves the way for Fernando Lugo (ousted by Congress in 2012) to run again, and from what I've heard he's still quite popular.

So Paraguay had the same system as Mexico (you're getting one term and you'll never have another)?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:36:12 AM »

Interestingly this also paves the way for Fernando Lugo (ousted by Congress in 2012) to run again, and from what I've heard he's still quite popular.

So Paraguay had the same system as Mexico (you're getting one term and you'll never have another)?

Yep, as do quite a few other Latin American countries. Anti-dictatorship measures.

I know Guatemala had this system. So does Chile, except in Chile you can be elected to another term after waiting out, same with Peru.

It's more interesting how many countries had one-term limit but abandoned it (Brazil, Venezuela, Bolivia, Colombia...) under Democratic governments. Itamar Franco couldn't run in 1994, despite having freaking 80% approvals.

Of course, some dictators were never bothered with formal term limits, ruling, while out of office, throught figureheads, like Trujillo or the Somozas.

Personally I like the principle "OK, you've got your 4/5/6 years, so better use them wisely."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »

Weren't there proposals to do that in the US? Rutherford Hayes had proposed a sexenio-type system IIRC, although of course it never went anywhere.

Hayes was by the standards of the office an incredibly weak president where Congress was the more powerful organism (as were most Republican presidents in the late 1800s)

Cleveland fits the description too, as he saw himself more as a watchdog than leader. People frequently claim TR changed the dynamic, but it's McKinley who started it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:24:21 PM »

It's more interesting how many countries had one-term limit but abandoned it (Brazil, Venezuela, Bolivia, Colombia...) under Democratic governments. Itamar Franco couldn't run in 1994, despite having freaking 80% approvals.

Colombia restored the absolute ban on presidential re-election in 2015. As much as the 2004 amendment was adopted through legal procedures, it wouldn't have passed had the swing votes in a congressional commission not been bribed by the Uribe government.

Hah, I missed that. I can't think of any other Latin American country going from "no reelection" to "reelection allowed" to "no reelection, again."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 02:42:01 PM »

It's funny Temer is basically term-limited already due to his right to run for office being suspended.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies