Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:38:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 69
Author Topic: Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY)  (Read 200620 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: April 19, 2017, 11:42:57 PM »

For the Dems: Parnell is a Goldman Sachs executive, Frank is a student and army veteran (and African American), Murphy is a marine veteran who now works for the non-profit Carolina Veterans Commission. Essentially, uninspiring candidates that leave little hope for anti-trump forces, unless one of these is really good at campaigning.

As a rule - i don't believe in African American candidates winning majority white southern districts... There are some rare exceptions on state legislative level, but mostly the vote is too polarized by race.  IMHO, even with Trump this is a closest to Safe R special..
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #801 on: April 20, 2017, 12:35:02 PM »

Yeah this has got to be the least elastic special election on the roster. I can't see a Dem pickup here. Still worth watching, but expecting much less than the other ones.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #802 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »

Yeah, SC-05 seems like if it has a similar swing as other specials, it would indicate that either southern wwc turnout is severely depressed or that that demographic gained massive elasticity out of nowhere. Either scenario would backfire the southern republican gerrymanders if it continued through 2018 and result in the unraveling of the republican caucus.

For this reason, I would say that the swing will only be 2-5 points to the democrats in the district. Even if on election night the early vote comes in 90% democrat I am still going to think the republican will win.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #803 on: April 20, 2017, 05:00:34 PM »

For the Dems: Parnell is a Goldman Sachs executive, Frank is a student and army veteran (and African American), Murphy is a marine veteran who now works for the non-profit Carolina Veterans Commission. Essentially, uninspiring candidates that leave little hope for anti-trump forces, unless one of these is really good at campaigning.

As a rule - i don't believe in African American candidates winning majority white southern districts... There are some rare exceptions on state legislative level, but mostly the vote is too polarized by race.  IMHO, even with Trump this is a closest to Safe R special..

Sanford Bishop would like a word.
SCNCmod

« Reply #804 on: April 20, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2017, 10:01:26 PM by SCNCmod »

I'm unfamiliar with almost all of them... on both sides.  

I do know Mr. Norman.  He's a good guy (although not reality familiar with many of his political views). He has many qualities that should make him a perfect political candidate- but for some reason voters never fully latched on to him- to the extent I would expect (he lost to (D) John Spratt when 5th district had a few more democrats prior to redistricting).  As a successful developer in Rock Hill/ Charlotte area & with an entertaining (in a good way) and photogenic family ... he will likely definitely be Trump's prefered candidate.

The Dem candidate that would've had the best chance is Thomas McElveen... too bad he chose not to run!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #805 on: April 20, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »

Tommy Pope currently leads in the polls (but only at 19%), with Norman, Few, and Mulliken all at around 8-10%. Since I don't know anything else, I'd say Pope is the favorite.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #806 on: April 20, 2017, 10:19:46 PM »

We're apparently going to get a special election in Chaffetz' seat.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #807 on: April 20, 2017, 11:53:34 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2017, 11:56:47 PM by smoltchanov »

As a rule - i don't believe in African American candidates winning majority white southern districts... There are some rare exceptions on state legislative level, but mostly the vote is too polarized by race.  IMHO, even with Trump this is a closest to Safe R special..

His district is about 50-50.  Compare this with SC-05. Democrats need districts to be 40-45% Black minimum, and pray, that 10-15% of whites will still vote Democratic, to have a chance. How many such districts exist? Even Bishop won his district narrowly couple of times (2010, 1996, 2000)..
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #808 on: April 21, 2017, 12:03:32 AM »

As a rule - i don't believe in African American candidates winning majority white southern districts... There are some rare exceptions on state legislative level, but mostly the vote is too polarized by race.  IMHO, even with Trump this is a closest to Safe R special..

His district is about 50-50.  Compare this with SC-05. Democrats need districts to be 40-45% Black minimum, and pray, that 10-15% of whites will still vote Democratic, to have a chance. How many such districts exist? Even Bishop won his district narrowly couple of times (2010, 1996, 2000)..

Also, SC-05 is a district that significantly swung to Trump - Obama got nearly 45% of the vote both times, but Hillary got just 38%.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #809 on: April 21, 2017, 12:16:59 AM »

For the Party of Trump: Connolly is the former chair of the SC Party of Trump, Few is the founder of an Anti-Common-Core Group, Wampler is an Attorney, Pope is in his seventh year as a state representative, Craig is a missionary who unsucccessfully attempted to primary Mulvaney from the left in 2016, Norman is a former state representative, and Mullikin is on the Board of Directors for the SC chapter of the US Army Special Forces Foundation and also works as an Attorney.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #810 on: April 21, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »

My parents retired down to SC-5 (just over the border from Charlotte).  As much as I would like to see a Dem pickup I highly doubt it unless something major happens.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #811 on: April 21, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »

This district Bishop originally ran in 25 years ago was majority African-American, I believe, and incumbency has helped him avoid challengers as the minority share of the population dipped into the 40s. It's not really comparable to SC-5.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #812 on: April 21, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »

This district Bishop originally ran in 25 years ago was majority African-American, I believe, and incumbency has helped him avoid challengers as the minority share of the population dipped into the 40s. It's not really comparable to SC-5.

In Statistical Atlas GA-02 listed as 51.4% Black, SA-05 - only 27.2%. That's not simply "a difference", that's "enormous difference")))) Before recent polarization people like Spratt could forge a biracial coalition and win. Usually - no more...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #813 on: April 21, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »

In the late 90s, he had a 60% white district.  I'm not saying a black Democrat can win SC-5, I'm just saying it's important not to make such sweeping generalizations when evaluating candidates.  I wouldn't have thought an African-American could get elected mayor of Jacksonville and while he narrowly lost re-election, Alvin Brown proved me wrong.  Mike Thurmond was elected to three terms as Georgia Labor Commissioner.  Gary Anderson came about 5% away from being elected MS Treasurer in 2003 IIRC. 

There are races (ex: Harold Ford's 2006 Senate loss, for example) where race-baiting was likely the reason the Democrat lost, but in SC-5 we're gonna lose because we don't have a three unremarkable some dude candidates running in a heavily Republican district.  All I'm saying is that, and I mean this as constructive criticism, you tend to generalize a lot (sometimes you're right, other times you're way off) and it might not be the worst idea to allow for the possibility of exceptions a bit more often. 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #814 on: April 21, 2017, 12:42:56 PM »

All I'm saying is that, and I mean this as constructive criticism, you tend to generalize a lot (sometimes you're right, other times you're way off) and it might not be the worst idea to allow for the possibility of exceptions a bit more often. 

Well, if you show me recent examples of such biracial coalition (not pre-2010, but after it, when polarization soared, including - racial one) - i may reconsider my position. Bit so far - i stick to it... It's extremely difficult to elect Black candidate in white-majority Southern districts now. I can fathom that say, in Southern Florida or Research Triangle (which are more or less "non-siuthern" politically), but not in many ither places.. In "typical" southern districts correlation between Democratc aand Black percentages is very strong...
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #815 on: April 21, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »

All I'm saying is that, and I mean this as constructive criticism, you tend to generalize a lot (sometimes you're right, other times you're way off) and it might not be the worst idea to allow for the possibility of exceptions a bit more often.  

Well, if you show me recent examples of such biracial coalition (not pre-2010, but after it, when polarization soared, including - racial one) - i may reconsider my position. Bit so far - i stick to it... It's extremely difficult to elect Black candidate in white-majority Southern districts now. I can fathom that say, in Southern Florida or Research Triangle (which are more or less "non-siuthern" politically), but not in many ither places.. In "typical" southern districts correlation between Democratc aand Black percentages is very strong...

Senator Tim Scott says hi, both as Senator from South Carolina and Congressman from SC-1.  

Not all African-Americans are Democrats.  It is perfectly possible for a black Republican to win in the South a majority white district.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #816 on: April 21, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »

Senator Tim Scott says hi, both as Senator from South Carolina and Congressman from SC-1.  

Not all African-Americans are Democrats.  It is perfectly possible for a black Republican to win in the South a majority white district.

I know that. But i meant Black Democrats, because somebody stated, that the best candidate in SC-05 for Democrats would be Black. In most cases Black Democratic candidate in majority-white southern districts is (politically correct speaking) ... far from being the most electable Democratic candidate... Gwen Graham managed defeat Southerland in old FL-02 in 2014, but i am ready to bet substantial money that that district would never elect Black Democrat...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #817 on: April 21, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »

Obama won Florida in 2012 Tongue
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #818 on: April 22, 2017, 12:29:45 AM »

As i said above - Florida, from Orlando down South, is NOT typically southern state. Would he win South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisisana or Arkansas  - another matter (typical southern states without great metropolises). In SC-05 we don't have metropolises or even their close suburbs (as in GA-06), so i consider my reasoning valid..

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #819 on: April 22, 2017, 07:38:12 AM »

As i said above - Florida, from Orlando down South, is NOT typically southern state. Would he win South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisisana or Arkansas  - another matter (typical southern states without great metropolises). In SC-05 we don't have metropolises or even their close suburbs (as in GA-06), so i consider my reasoning valid..

Please don't put your replies in my post.  Also Orlando is definitely a southern city.

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #820 on: April 22, 2017, 11:01:40 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2017, 11:06:51 AM by smoltchanov »

As i said above - Florida, from Orlando down South, is NOT typically southern state. Would he win South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisisana or Arkansas  - another matter (typical southern states without great metropolises). In SC-05 we don't have metropolises or even their close suburbs (as in GA-06), so i consider my reasoning valid..

Please don't put your replies in my post.  Also Orlando is definitely a southern city.

When post is so long - it's not difficult to err. About Orlando - i meant in political sense, not geographically... . Well, let's simply agree to disagree: i seem unable to convince you, and you surely (i know that, it's quite difficult thing to do in ANY case, and you don't present too much arguments or numbers...) will not convince me... So - there is no sense to continue..
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #821 on: April 22, 2017, 12:33:48 PM »

As i said above - Florida, from Orlando down South, is NOT typically southern state. Would he win South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisisana or Arkansas  - another matter (typical southern states without great metropolises). In SC-05 we don't have metropolises or even their close suburbs (as in GA-06), so i consider my reasoning valid..

Please don't put your replies in my post.  Also Orlando is definitely a southern city.

When post is so long - it's not difficult to err. About Orlando - i meant in political sense, not geographically... . Well, let's simply agree to disagree: i seem unable to convince you, and you surely (i know that, it's quite difficult thing to do in ANY case, and you don't present too much arguments or numbers...) will not convince me... So - there is no sense to continue..

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you think my initial claim was? 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #822 on: April 22, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2017, 01:03:55 PM by smoltchanov »

As i see - that i generalize too much (with Sanford Boshop example, which didn't convince me too much). Well, may be, but i used words "as a rule" (which allows for exceptions, but - relatively rare exceptions).... Urban areas (Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, NoVA, Research Triangle, big Texas metropolises. and so on) have it's own political dynamics, where "metropolization" may trump race. Rural  and small city southern areas - very rare. Yes, they can vote for conservative black Republican (like Scott in South Carolina), but that's almost all. They will NOT (usually) vote for liberal or even moderate Black Democrat... Because of area history and traditions, which they inherited from their ancestors... Hence i usually consider a fact, that such and such  Democratic candidate in the South is Black, as not plus, but rather a minus to his/her electability.. Except, obviously, majority-minority districts, where it can be a BIG plus...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #823 on: April 22, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »

As i see - that i generalize too much (with Sanford Boshop example, which didn't convince me too much). Well, may be, but i used words "as a rule" (which allows for exceptions, but - relatively rare exceptions).... Urban areas (Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, NoVA, Research Triangle, big Texas metropolises. and so on) have it's own political dynamics, where "metropolization" may trump race. Rural  and small city southern areas - very rare. Yes, they can vote for conservative black Republican (like Scott in South Carolina), but that's almost all. They will NOT (usually) vote for liberal or even moderate Black Democrat... Because of area history and traditions, which they inherited from their ancestors... Hence i usually consider a fact, that such and such  Democratic candidate in the South is Black, as not plus, but rather a minus to his/her electability.. Except, obviously, majority-minority districts, where it can be a BIG plus...

My point was just that it's possible for African-American Democrats to win culturally southern white majority districts, albeit extremely difficult.  I never said being an African-American Democrat in a majority-white southern district is an advantage, only that it isn't always guaranteed to end in said candidate's defeat.  It's like how a white candidate winning a majority African-American district is difficult, but not impossible (ex: Steve Cohen).  The part about you generalizing came later* and I gave examples of exceptions other than Sanford Bishop (albeit not in house seats).  The other thing is that while the south's urban areas obviously have different political dynamics, many of them are still culturally southern. In other words, Nashville and Orlando may not be conservative cities, but they are certainly southern cities in almost every meaningful sense (Nashville is an even better example). 

*Although you do indeed tend to over-generalize
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #824 on: April 23, 2017, 01:19:56 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2017, 01:25:09 AM by smoltchanov »

^ Well, i know that it's possible for Black candidate to win majority-white Southern district. Sometimes - even a rural one. IIRC - in 2007 Black Democrat won state Senate seat in Mississippi which was rural and more then 95% white (he lost it later, but it's another story). But it's still a big rarity... So, my point was that "being Black" doesn't in any way increases electoral chances of candidate in southern majority-white (especially - more or less rural) districts, and to state that such candidate "would be the best, because he/she is Black" is a mistake. Black candidate can win there, but he/she must have other outstanding qualities and "happen to be Black", not be a "Black candidate".

And when i speak about whether such and such area is "Southern" i mean strictly political tradition and preferences. A words of one North Florida political commentator about his state come to mind: "I'm convinced that the further south you drive, the further north you get"...

P.S. The same about white politicians in majority-Black seats: Steve Cohen now wins convincingly, but was regularily primaried by Black candidates, many of whom spoke about "this being a Black seat", before. The same with members of state legislatures (Patricia Todd in Alabama, and some other). Racial polarization in voting is still high enough..
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies