Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:02:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY)  (Read 201154 times)
SCNCmod

« on: April 20, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2017, 10:01:26 PM by SCNCmod »

I'm unfamiliar with almost all of them... on both sides.  

I do know Mr. Norman.  He's a good guy (although not reality familiar with many of his political views). He has many qualities that should make him a perfect political candidate- but for some reason voters never fully latched on to him- to the extent I would expect (he lost to (D) John Spratt when 5th district had a few more democrats prior to redistricting).  As a successful developer in Rock Hill/ Charlotte area & with an entertaining (in a good way) and photogenic family ... he will likely definitely be Trump's prefered candidate.

The Dem candidate that would've had the best chance is Thomas McElveen... too bad he chose not to run!
SCNCmod

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »

Senator Tim Scott says hi, both as Senator from South Carolina and Congressman from SC-1.  

Not all African-Americans are Democrats.  It is perfectly possible for a black Republican to win in the South a majority white district.

I think Scott is a very nice, friendly guy... but not a great Senator at all.  Just listening to some of his speeches during the Devos 24 hour Senate session, etc ... a 6th grader can string together a more logical speech. 

I don't think Scott would have ever won the Senate seat, had he not 1st been appointed by Haley.  This gave him time to build up some popularity as the only Black Republican Senator (and from South Carolina at that).  I'm sure he was a decent Congressman- but seems out of his depth as Senator... Good thing he was dating one of Nikki's friends when it came time to appoint a new Senator. 

That said- I would rather have an ineffective Republican Senator than a Strong Republican Senator.  But on the other hand- a Black Republican Senator will be almost impossible to ever beat in SC. 

But I've heard there is a slight chance Scott could run for Governor in 2018... which I think would be a Much better fit for him than Senator.  (Although with him just winning re-election, its hard to imagine).

.... if he were to run for Governor- he would definitely win... And I Think Mark Sanford really wants his Senate seat, if it came open.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies