If Reagan became President in 1968 or 1976, what would he do different?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:03:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Reagan became President in 1968 or 1976, what would he do different?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Reagan became President in 1968 or 1976, what would he do different?  (Read 1052 times)
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:01:02 PM »

I'm interested in what would happen if Ronald Reagan was elected in '68 or '76,

Here are some questions:
1. How would he react to the issues of the time?
2. What policies would change?
3. What would his cabinet be?
4. Would he be re-elected? (+Election Maps)
5. Would Reaganomics be as effective, or would he not put them in place?

Please answer any or all of these questions, or add some you'd like.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:22:24 PM »

I'm interested in what would happen if Ronald Reagan was elected in '68 or '76,

Here are some questions:
3. What would his cabinet be?

Please answer any or all of these questions, or add some you'd like.

Hard to tell. I don't think the Reagan of the late 60s and earlier 70s would have had the same successes as he did in the 1980s. He was still seen in the Goldwater mold - an extremist. I don't think Reaganomics has the effect it did in the 1980s. He's likely defeated in '72, or narrowly reelected. Nevertheless he is not held in high esteem as today.
Burke859
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:34:14 PM »

I'm a big proponent of the "Reagan 1968" ATL, so I'll answer with regard to that ATL only.

Go hawkish on Vietnam and probably get a cleaner, quicker result.  Would make the Democrats less popular for being opposed to hawkishness, so the Dems would have to go more moderate on defense.  But Reagan would have had no luck getting conservative domestic policies enacted during a liberal era, so Reagan would be forced to the middle on those issues.  So Reagan's Republican era would end up being right-wing on foreign policy and centrist on domestic issues.  Which would be a really interesting legacy and would have changed the way we view Reagan in retrospect.

No tax cuts, no social conservatism (at least not the 1980s version of it).  Lots of attempts to curb spending and possible tax increases or tax reform (raising some taxes and cutting others).  Probably a much sounder fiscal environment overall as a result.  Might have avoided the poor economic situation in the late '70s with a much sounder fiscal policy earlier.

Yes. Being forced to the center during his first term will make him seem reasonable, and he's already likable as a person, so he wins over the Democratic nominee, since the Democrats will still be fractured from the previous election.  Probably oversees big losses in both houses of Congress over the course of his administration as he attempts to enact conservative policies, fails, and then enacts moderate policies instead.  But the result is a popular President Reagan leaving office in 1977.

No, there was no Laffer Curve yet.  He'd probably try to cut spending in a draconian manner, see his party wiped out in the 1970 midterms, and then go for more modest spending cuts and some tax reform that raises more revenue. 
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 02:05:45 AM »

Reagan is one of my favorite presidents and what was said is 100% right but if Reagan had won in 1968 or 1976 there is a strong chance the Soviet Union is still around today in just about 2018 so in short Reagan is Reagan because of the 80s put in any other era and he fails or is just a muh president.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies