Profile on Gillibrand by NYMag and possible 2020 run.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:46:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Profile on Gillibrand by NYMag and possible 2020 run.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Profile on Gillibrand by NYMag and possible 2020 run.  (Read 1253 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/04/kirsten-gillibrand-progressive-champion-2020-run.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »

Haven’t read the whole thing yet, but I noticed that the story starts with her speaking at a black church, and she just gave another speech at a black church in Harlem this past Sunday, which she turned into an anti-Trump speech without actually mentioning Trump by name.  Video here:

http://thegrio.com/2017/04/04/sen-kirsten-gillibrand-black-church/

Interesting viewing if you want to see her in preacher mode.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »

Haven’t read the whole thing yet, but I noticed that the story starts with her speaking at a black church, and she just gave another speech at a black church in Harlem this past Sunday, which she turned into an anti-Trump speech without actually mentioning Trump by name.  Video here:

Part of Bernie's problem is that he looked aloof in black churches at first and didn't really have experience preaching in that setting. Good to see Gillibrand building bonds with the black community early, of course its a lot easier in NY than VT.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »

"Which is that we’re here to help people, and if we’re not helping people, we should go the f[inks] home.”

Kirsten is awesome.  I've happily voted for her before and will do it again in 2018.  Not a feeling I share for many Dems here in NY.  2020 is a long ways off, but people who are passionate about what they want to do tend to have success, so I wouldn't write her off.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »

I heard she gave a very interesting sermon to some of her Wall Street donors about how the masters of the universe know more than all the dumb working class people and should be cut a break
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »

We don't need yet another New Yorker
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 04:21:26 PM »

She'd be an excellent VP pick, but I'm in Team Franken for now.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 04:28:50 PM »

A few interesting tidbits from this story:

1) I’m still surprised by the extent to which (unlike Hillary Clinton in the 2000s) she is not trying to play down any aspects of her personality that might feed gender stereotypes.  E.g., when she discusses flip-flopping on gun control, she talks about getting emotional:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am trying to think of any other examples of female politicians talking about getting emotional because of hormones.  Seems like many/most would hesitate to say something like that for fear of it being used as a soundbite in an attack ad.

Also, here she is wishing that women would make up 51% of the Congress, because women think differently from men:

2) Interesting to read about her friendship with Susan Collins.  I didn’t know that Gillibrand helped throw Collins’s wedding shower.

3) At least for print interviews like this, where there are no cameras rolling, she seems to talk in an unusually informal manner, peppering her language with three “f#ck”s, one “bullsh*t”, one “suck”, and two “dude”s.  Not sure if there are any other national politicians who talk like this on the record (hot mic moments like Biden's BFD don't count).  Try to imagine Obama, for example, use “f#*king” like this:

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 05:08:27 PM »

Part of Bernie's problem is that he looked aloof in black churches at first and didn't really have experience preaching in that setting. Good to see Gillibrand building bonds with the black community early, of course its a lot easier in NY than VT.
I think oratorical skills are gonna be a key part of winning the hearts and minds of primary voters.
And I can say she's a muuuuch better speaker than Hillary. She was actually into what she was saying. She ramped up towards the middle and kept it going. Hillary always just started yelling to emphasize her points.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 05:13:04 PM »

Looks like I wasn’t the only one to notice Gillibrand’s potty mouth:  Tongue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4380270/New-York-senator-drops-THREE-f-bombs-interviews.html

That Daily Mail story also referenced another tidbit on Gillibrand’s friendship with Collins, from this US News story:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/11/15/bipartisanship-in-action-sen-gillibrand-bought-sen-collins-her-wedding-night-lingerie

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 07:11:14 PM »

Looks like I wasn’t the only one to notice Gillibrand’s potty mouth:  Tongue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4380270/New-York-senator-drops-THREE-f-bombs-interviews.html

That Daily Mail story also referenced another tidbit on Gillibrand’s friendship with Collins, from this US News story:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/11/15/bipartisanship-in-action-sen-gillibrand-bought-sen-collins-her-wedding-night-lingerie

Love the comments on the DM story from conservatives, 'Typical classless lib' as if Trump and his ilk are now an epitome of class.

sophiriapeafowl
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 02:44:15 AM »

I like her. I'd be down for a Bullock/Gillibrand ticket.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »

She'd be a fantastic nominee. So glad that she's my senator.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »

Against Trump or Pence, would support enthusiastically.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »

Reading this profile has pushed her up a few spots on my potential list. She seems very genuine, which is a big part of Bernie's appeal.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »

Not bad Smiley I would certainly support her. It depends on the field though. I think Kander would be my first go-to choice at the moment.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 05:45:38 PM »

Here’s yet another new profile of Gillibrand:

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/04/147891/kirsten-gillibrand-womens-rights-exclusive-interview

Not sure why we got two in such rapid succession (though this one isn't quite as long).  Maybe she’s making herself more available for long interviews now?  I guess she wants to get all the publicity she can these next couple of weeks, before Warren starts to monopolize the 2020 media coverage with her book tour.  Tongue

In this one, she again talks about being emotional:

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies