Describe a secular Jewish Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:51:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Describe a secular Jewish Republican
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Describe a secular Jewish Republican  (Read 4283 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »

Ok how are the Jewish Voice for Peace, self-haters now.

They support boycotts of Israel and Israeli products/produce, via BDS and SJP
They protest outside of holocaust memorials/commemorations
They had a convicted Palestinian terrorist, Rasmea Odeh, (who killed two innocent people and injured others in an attack in 1969) headline their recent national conference.
They also had Anti-Zionist Linda Sarsour speak at that same conference.

JVP support for anti-Israel, antisemitic BDS movement:

- https://www.adl.org/education/resources/profiles/jewish-voice-for-peace
- https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/boycott-divestment-and-sanctions/jvp-supports-the-bds-movement/
JVP protesting Holocaust Memorial link in the name of Anti-Israel activities: -
 https://mikereport.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/jewish-voice-for-peace-disrupts-holocaust-memorial-resolution/
- http://jpupdates.com/2015/01/22/pro-palestinians-disrupt-city-council-meeting-over-speakers-planned-visit-to-israel/
Odeh and Sarsour link:
- http://forward.com/news/breaking-news/367927/rasmea-odeh-and-linda-sarsour-slam-zionists-at-jewish-voice-for-peace-summi/

They are self-haters. Pure and simple.

IfNotNow, Peace Now, J-Street, New Israel Fund are all left-wing orgs that heavily criticize Israel without being blatant self-haters. I dislike all of those groups but at least they have the dignity not to stoop to JVP's level of ignorance and stupidity. So, I'm not just labeling left-wing Jewish groups as "self-haters." Only the actual self-haters get called out by me.

Ok that makes sense, on the point on BDS, how is the movement anti-Semitic, it is merely non zionist, and does not take an opinion, on whether there should be a Unified Palestine or two states, based upon equality of both jews and non-jews.

What option do you get for peace, if the Israeli government continually denies, peace deals made by Palestinians, and continually builds illegal new settlements, apart from BDS, or the actions of it.

Now, the response, I normally get, is why can't there be a unified Israel, well there could be, if the state was not jewish, and there should not be an unified Palestine, if it was Islamic, or had inherit discrimination of the Jewish people in it's character, or through policy.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 05:08:29 AM »

I am an Orthodox Jew Republican, however I live in a very Democratic area so I know what the Jewish left is like. Most secular Jewish Republicans right now are Israeli-Americans who are very pro-Likud. As Sunrise mentioned, the Jewish Right is the "Stand with Israel" wing and the Jewish Left is the "Tikkun Olam" wing. Also, Conservative Jews are firmly on the left-wing now, and their political positions are almost identical to the Reform Jews.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »

I'm sure there are a lot of these voters in Northwestern suburbia.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »

Most non-Bukhari/Kavkazi (who are Republicans but usually not secular) "Russian"/FSU Jews.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »

Seems like Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman would be poor fits then, ironically enough.

Really. Why would they be poor fits? Please elaborate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »

Seems like Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman would be poor fits then, ironically enough.

Yeah, there are some Jews with a libertarian bent. I knew a few of them in college, including Milton Friedman's son, David. We drove to a libertarian convention together that was held in Philadelphia.
mencken
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »

I was referring to this context:
Secular Jewish Republicans (SJR)Sad wealthier (on balance), more educated (on balance), usually socially moderate-to-liberal and very neoconservative on foreign policy and Israel issues. usually Mitt Romney-style conservatives on business/economic issues. many NeverTrumpers here.

They are almost always establishment republicans. Usually have a strong identification with their ethnic Jewish heritage and some knowledge of the religion as well but rarely follow the religious customs.
SJRs:
- Sheldon Adelson (he's pro-choice, pro-lgbt, anti-marijuana, pro-israel, neoconservative and a business conservative; only thing that sticks out is that he is a trumpist)
- Bill Kristol (he's pro-life, but other then that he's your typical neoconservative, secular Jewish Republican)
- Bret Stephens (secular, jewish, neoconservative)
- Norm Coleman (didn't marry Jewish, but identifies with the ethnicity and religion strongly and is a establishment neoconservative)
- Jennifer Rubin (secular and neoconservative)
- Rudy Boschwitz (seems to be secular, definitely establishment republican)
- Paul Singer (strong LGBT advocate, his son is gay, and a strong establishment republican)
- Linda Lingle (socially moderate, big national security hawk/neoconservative)
- Jonah Goldberg (NeverTrump, National Review writer, prob one of the more right-wing people in this category)
- AIPAC-aligned Republicans (They are too establishment, too moderate for the RJRs and too establishment for most TJRs)
- Emergency Committee for Israel (Bill Kristol's group)

Rand and Friedman seem much more fiscally conservative than this group, and, while certainly pro-Israel in foreign affairs, strike me as more Jacksonian than this Wilsonian neoconservative group.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 09:18:09 PM »

Me.

My general impression is that they seem to be very fiscally conservative and hawkish re:Israel.

Yes.

Ah, so this is why you like Josh Mandel.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 02:08:51 PM »

Business Owner who lives and works in Nassau County.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies