"Republicans are going to wish Hillary Clinton won" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:27:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Republicans are going to wish Hillary Clinton won" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Republicans are going to wish Hillary Clinton won"  (Read 4237 times)
elcorazon

« on: April 05, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »

Obviously the red state Democrats would all have been gone had Clinton won, but beyond that we can only speculate what 2018 would have been like. When it became clear that Clinton was going to win "in a landslide", Democrats here told us to not make overconfident predictions about 2018 because there "was no way to know for sure whether 2018 was going to be another 2010 or 2014". How the tables have turned!

I obviously disagree with this claim because of the Supreme Court, Clinton being a terrible person, Republicans holding the Senate (which wouldn't have happened had Clinton won), etc. It isn't easy to beat an incumbent president, and had Clinton won, she'd probably have been a two-term president, which would have been terrible for the country.
revisionist history is fun
or perhaps you meant a landslide similar to Trump's "landslide" victory he keeps describing
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 01:43:55 PM »

I think there were times it very much looked like she would win in a landslide.
Not to me. Best it seemed like she could do was to win all the states she did win, plus PA, MI, WI, FL and NC (maybe OH, as well). Not sure that would've been considered a landslide by anyone other than someone with #45's pea-headed brain.
elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »

"We want to lose this election for strategic reasons!" is an amazing bit of #Analysis that I had thought would be restricted to Atlas, but alas. Nevermind getting to select a SCOTUS nominee or doing something other than obstinately rejecting every bill for another four years; we really just ought to demoralize our opponents.

I don't think you'll find a soul who would argue that losing in 2012 was good for Republicans, or bad for Democrats, given the consolidation of Obamacare.

I think the case for 2016 is unprovable but strong.

I won't deny that there were downsides to winning in a year when there were deep divisions in the electorate. To go from that to "it would have been better to lose" is a pretty big leap though.

None of us wanted Trump to win but Hillary losing may be a good thing long-term. I for one am glad to see the Clintons gone. They suck
This is an insane position. The damage done by Trump is irreparable. I'd have sooner lived with a Cruz Presidency than being stuck with President Trump.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies