Rahm Emanuel wants to require acceptance letters for high school graduation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:10:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rahm Emanuel wants to require acceptance letters for high school graduation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rahm Emanuel wants to require acceptance letters for high school graduation  (Read 2869 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: April 05, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »

Corporate Democrats are scum of the earth.

If a Republican proposed this...there would be phony outrage from Democrats.

I'm actually outraged now.

This is effectively saying "our high schools don't give you an education that can get you through life". Which is equivalent to admitting that they're failing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »

Corporate Democrats are scum of the earth.

If a Republican proposed this...there would be phony outrage from Democrats.

I'm actually outraged now.

This is effectively saying "our high schools don't give you an education that can get you through life". Which is equivalent to admitting that they're failing.

The thing is, high schools are failing. What amazes me is when politicians just want to shunt folks along to college as the solution rather than fixing high school. What happens when a Bachelor's degree can't get you through life (a point that we are closer to than anyone would like to admit)? Will Master's and professional degrees become mandatory?

Quite possibly. It's sort of like the ultimate in grade inflation. I think we'll fall apart before we get there, though. But if we don't, yeah. Increases in productivity and wealth have to be balanced somehow. If it's not via ultimately pointless paper pushing, we'd need to do society-changing things like shorter work weeks, free public health care and (effective) education, etc.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies