Could Santorum have won?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:46:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Santorum have won?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Could Santorum have won?  (Read 6125 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 03:09:01 AM »

Yes, he could have won.

Let the flame war begin.

For God's sake, Phil.  You pretty much think that every other state in America is going blue except for PA.  The problem is that your state is going deep blue a la New Hampshire when the other states--CO, VA, FL, etc.--are doing just fine as red states.  Wake up, man!  Santorum is a red state republican in a blue state.  End of story.  He lost because he stopped representing his constituency.  That's all.  Send him here to Colorado and we'll elect him for you.

We're not going "deep blue" and I don't think that every state is going "blue" except mine. Your stupidity seems to be never ending.

I bet he would have lost if he ran in '04.

Santorum might have lost had he run in 2002.

Uh, no. Let's not get too cocky here, people.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 03:09:49 AM »

Given the 2006 dynamics, there was no way Santorum could have won unless his opponent was Chaka Fattah.  I think even Bob Brady would have beat him.

Thank you for being the only one to address that even though I mentioned it twice.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »

When that's the ONLY opponent you can beat, things aren't going well for you. Besides Phil, you said a liberal couldn't beat Santorum, yet the same post says that Brady could (which I agree)

You need to quit with this idea that Santorum was popular when in fact he was the single most unpopular Senator in the country (I suppose you could argue he basically tied with Conrad Burns, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007, 12:03:10 PM »

When that's the ONLY opponent you can beat, things aren't going well for you. Besides Phil, you said a liberal couldn't beat Santorum, yet the same post says that Brady could (which I agree)

Brady isn't a Feingold liberal. I never said a liberal couldn't win. Anyway, I don't necessarily think Brady would have won. I just chose to ignore it because we're talking about two different types of liberal there.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, I don't. He was popular up until 2006. I don't argue that he was popular when he lost.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »

Casey neutralized too many of Santorum's advantages in the west among conservative Democrats, and in the T to a lesser extent. He took the abortion and the gun issues off the table and combined that with an incredible name ID. In short, Casey gave many Democrats a reason to come home.

Santorum was also hurt by the stories about him possibly running for president, and the issue with his kids and going to school in Virginia. He looked like he was getting too big for the state. In that atmosphere, Casey couldn't have been a better foil.

I don't know how Santorum tried to cultivate a relationship with voters in SEPA, but I think he probably should have paid more attention to that area. They may not like his pro-life stands, but Santorum ought to have stressed other issues that he and moderate Republicans agree on, like taxes.  In general, Republicans need to watch these moderate suburbs. They've been going south for them, and that's not good.

In general, I think Santorum lost his rapport with PA voters. Something goes wrong when you get flushed out of as many areas as he did. I don't know how he could have won, but he didn't seem to have his pulse on what the voters were thinking.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2007, 08:38:50 PM »

Casey neutralized too many of Santorum's advantages in the west among conservative Democrats, and in the T to a lesser extent. He took the abortion and the gun issues off the table and combined that with an incredible name ID. In short, Casey gave many Democrats a reason to come home.

Santorum was also hurt by the stories about him possibly running for president, and the issue with his kids and going to school in Virginia. He looked like he was getting too big for the state. In that atmosphere, Casey couldn't have been a better foil.

I don't know how Santorum tried to cultivate a relationship with voters in SEPA, but I think he probably should have paid more attention to that area. They may not like his pro-life stands, but Santorum ought to have stressed other issues that he and moderate Republicans agree on, like taxes.  In general, Republicans need to watch these moderate suburbs. They've been going south for them, and that's not good.

In general, I think Santorum lost his rapport with PA voters. Something goes wrong when you get flushed out of as many areas as he did. I don't know how he could have won, but he didn't seem to have his pulse on what the voters were thinking.

Tax cuts for the very wealthy weren't exactly on the minds of SEPA voters as the most important issue or issues heading into the midterms last year.  Wouldn't have mattered how much Santorum tried to play and push that card.  His social views, his views on Iraq as well as being a very close ally of Bush destroyed him there.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2007, 08:47:05 PM »

It is amazing that Santorum was able to win a Senate race in Penn in the first place.  Him representing the state is comparable to Ted Kennedy representing Virginia.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 10:10:41 AM »

Yes, I think he could have done. Just. Not against Casey though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 10:17:27 AM »

Hell's frozen over before.

You'd probably have to diverge from otl by early 2004 though.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 02:10:08 AM »

Yes, I think he could have done. Just. Not against Casey though.

Look at his thumping in the SE.  That occurs basically no matter who his opponent is.  Those margins are just too much to makeup
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 10:29:41 AM »

I get the feeling that if Santorum had lost to a social liberal, his fans would be assuring us that he would have defeated Casey because he "doesn't excite the Democratic base" and "would have done poorly in the southeast."

No.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »

I think the suburban Southeast is more economically liberal than people think.  Granted, they didn't like Jimmy Carter-esque taxes, but Bill Clinton didn't kill them either.  That's why you saw a Democratic trend.  You also have to couple the fact that a lot of white collar professionals are more vulnerable to job losses than they were during the 1980s and previous years helping to accelerate that trend.  Hard to believe that wealthy Abington Township, which has many multi-million dollar homes is represented in the State House by Democrats Josh Shapiro and Larry Curry while working class, primarily rowhome, Port Richmond is represented by Republican John Taylor.  Prior to the 1980s, people would have looked at you as if you had 10 heads for saying that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 09:05:59 PM »

Hard to believe that wealthy Abington Township, which has many multi-million dollar homes is represented in the State House by Democrats Josh Shapiro and Larry Curry

Focus on social liberalism is what helps them.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And he would have never gotten away with the party unless he was an economic liberal which he is.
Andy Hine
Rookie
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 02:58:28 PM »

Na Bro
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2017, 12:51:48 AM »

Congrats Sorry, Phil!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2017, 12:53:38 AM »

Anyway, let's look at this scenario...

Rick Santorum is challenged by Congressman Chaka Fattah (who is Feingold type liberal). Does anyone want to argue that Fattah would win?

Oh.  Can you even imagine?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies