Will Trump bomb Assad?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:49:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Trump bomb Assad?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Will Trump bomb the Assad regime in Syria?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Will Trump bomb Assad?  (Read 3626 times)
I Won - Get Over It
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »

How can he do that, without Russian permission (as when Israel bombs Hezbollah commanders in Syria)?

We dont need Russian permission.
Do you want a nuclear confrontation?

No but we're not a Russian vassal state either.

Just a simple question, did Syrian government allow US troops and airforces come to Syrian soil?

Assad has no legitimacy as the Syrian government. The world has a responsibility to stop the murder of innocent civilians. I don't think ground troops should be sent to Syria, but I think a Libya-style intervention would be in order. At the very least, safe zones and a no-fly zone should be formed to protect civilians from Assad's brutality.

Rrrright.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/24/politics/us-airstrikes-iraq-syria-civilian-deaths/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 03:27:53 PM »

But if we went in to get Assad, Russia wouldn't launch nuclear weapons. Nukes get nothing. By all means, we can have a proxy war but nukes?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »

I doubt it. But we should've taken out Assad much earlier on and we should act quickly to establish a no fly zone at the very least.

But if we went in to get Assad, Russia wouldn't launch nuclear weapons. Nukes get nothing. By all means, we can have a proxy war but nukes?

You're right, Russia won't launch nukes. And yes I agree that we should still take out Assad.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »

how crazy do some of you think putin is, that he would NUKE the free world to defend iran's playground?

kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »

How can he do that, without Russian permission (as when Israel bombs Hezbollah commanders in Syria)?

Just a simple question, did Syrian government allow US troops and airforces come to Syrian soil?

Assad has no legitimacy as the Syrian government. The world has a responsibility to stop the murder of innocent civilians. I don't think ground troops should be sent to Syria, but I think a Libya-style intervention would be in order. At the very least, safe zones and a no-fly zone should be formed to protect civilians from Assad's brutality.

So you learn nothing from Iraq and Lybia interventions.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 03:34:56 PM »

So you learn nothing from Iraq and Lybia interventions.

watching the pro-US kurds conquering giant areas of northern syria against IS/AL-NUSRA/TURKEY seems like a very powerful approach.

i could also ask, if russia has learne anything since afghanistan.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »

Libya is a terrible example of mishandling what should be an easy task. And given Syria's strategic importance, plus very complicated ethnic and religious makeup, I can totally see U.S. f**king up really bad. Especially with Trump in charge.

In Libya there was a mandate to establish no-fly zones, which the coalition exceeded immediately. No fly zones basically ensured Iraqi Kurdistan being beyond Saddam's control in 1991. But in Libya they exceeded the mandate without clear strategy... OK, Gaddafi's dead, but that was literally the only positive outcome. Just look at Libya now. Going to Syria without a clear strategy would be even bigger disaster.

And, Jesus people, we are still not sure what exactly happened. We've got conflicting reports and theories.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2017, 03:44:55 PM by kelestian »

how crazy do some of you think putin is, that he would NUKE the free world to defend iran's playground?

If US planes start attacks on Assad positions, Russian systems will easily shoot down some of them. And what next? Massive strike on the whole Russian contingent in Syria? Sounds awful.

By the way, i think Trump wouldn't do anything serious.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »

I think military action against Assad is likelier than military action against NK, honestly. Per what I've read, the talk re: Syria is military whereas on NK Trump and co. are exploring tougher sanctions a la the Iran sanctions regime

There are Russian troops in Syria. You probably already knew. Just in case you didn't

I'm well aware, thank you
rob in cal
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 03:47:13 PM »

Maybe those of us who don't want US intervention could  subtly remind the Trumpster that most of his GOP opponents, the Bush's, McCain and Graham and Bill Kristol and others all want him to intervene.  Get him to think that intervention would be a sign of a small hands, low energy wimpy thing to do.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 03:48:58 PM »

If US planes start attacks on Assad positions, Russian systems will easily shoot down some of them.

possible, but that is part of every operation.

i guess all of us are on the same line, if the US really wanted to conquer Syria, it easily could. Would be harder if Russia REALLY pushed back but that is highly unlikely, imho.

and the russia contingent in syria has decreased a LOT since the last year....now the operation is mostly run by iranians.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »

The US should have intervened way back in 2012 or 2013-Obama drew the red line and he should have stood by it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »

He's less likely than Hillary, but far too likely.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »

If US planes start attacks on Assad positions, Russian systems will easily shoot down some of them.

i guess all of us are on the same line, if the US really wanted to conquer Syria, it easily could. Would be harder if Russia REALLY pushed back but that is highly unlikely, imho.

and the russia contingent in syria has decreased a LOT since the last year....now the operation is mostly run by iranians.

There are still about 30 Russian war-planes, Russian modern anti-air missiles (i'm not sure that USAF can overcome it without huge losses) and 2000+ soldiers.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »

There are still about 30 Russian war-planes, Russian modern anti-air missiles (i'm not sure that USAF can overcome it without huge losses) and 2000+ soldiers.

FWIW the operations under discussion seem to be cruise missile oriented rather than planes
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »

They don't. Only the Syrian people do. And the Syrian rebels are worse than Assad anyway.

wouldn't the guy who killed the most people and owns the most deadly weapons and uses those weapons not be the worst by default?
By that logic, we should be bombing our own troops in Afghanistan.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »

By that logic, we should be bombing our own troops in Afghanistan.

i am not sure about that but afghanistan is a lose cause anyway. impossible country, just like russia.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2017, 04:36:42 PM by Meclazine »

Trump wont bomb Assad.

Donald will assassinate him with Ninjas.

https://youtu.be/O2D1scxv9aY

When the s##%t hits the fan, who do you call?

My mum rented the VHS for this movie for me when i was 12.

After i watched it, my destiny was clear.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »

Fusionmunster and co. sure don't seem to have a lot of room in their hearts (or thoughts) for the serve men and women who will die fighting if Syria destabilizes to the point that ground troops are deployed. I hear a lot about the Syrians, but not much about the mother in Alabama whose son died in a suicide bombing fighting for people who hate us. Is it because they're all high school drop outs who deserve to "get stuck in Iraq" as John Kerry put it? Tell us how you really feel.

I'm sorry the wives, daughters, sons, brothers, and friends of Al Nusra Front fighters were gassed. I am. But I'm not sorry enough to ignore the real consequences of this just because it'll help you sleep at night.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 04:47:38 PM »

Fusionmunster and co. sure don't seem to have a lot of room in their hearts (or thoughts) for the serve men and women who will die fighting if Syria destabilizes to the point that ground troops are deployed.

I doubt any level of destabilization will lead to Trump sending ground troops (that is, aside from whatever small number are already there, working with Kurds & friends against IS).  My assumption is that *if* he actually decides to do anything at all (and I'm not convinced he will), then it'll be to punch Assad in the mouth, with some kind of attack from the air that's limited in duration.  But whatever the fallout of that is, I doubt he subscribes to Colin Powell's pottery barn rule, and thus wouldn't be interested in sending in an occupying army.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2017, 04:55:30 PM »

btw......

i can totally respect sanchez's argument....

... i am just often baffled, how the military is usually far more right-wing than civilians even while those are far more willing to send soldiers into death.

maybe many soldiers disagree with the reasoning of paleo-conservatives and the pacifist left?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »

Trump wont bomb Assad.

Donald will assassinate him with Ninjas.

https://youtu.be/O2D1scxv9aY

When the s##%t hits the fan, who do you call?

My mum rented the VHS for this movie for me when i was 12.

After i watched it, my destiny was clear.

I'll just say that if a pack of ninjas descend on Damascus to kill Assad with throwing stars at Tump's orders, then The Donald has my vote in 2020
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »

It'll be fun seeing the red pill crowd pivot to supporting Trump's bombing run after years of  praising Assad and calling the rebels the bad guys.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »

It'll be fun seeing the red pill crowd pivot to supporting Trump's bombing run after years of  praising Assad and calling the rebels the bad guys.

Sanchez gives us a frontrow seat.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »

<snicker>
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies