German cabinet agrees to fine social media over hate speech (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:50:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German cabinet agrees to fine social media over hate speech (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German cabinet agrees to fine social media over hate speech  (Read 1170 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« on: April 08, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »

Ironically enough, you're inadvertently making a case for EU open borders. Everybody can sort themselves to a political scene and culture that suits them best.
I don't oppose Poles or Lithuanians moving here, or Italians moving to France, or Greeks moving to Germany (as long as this does not put natives at a disadvantage on the labor market, of course). I just think nation states should decide on who they take in and who should stay out, not the EU -- and I think they should be allowed to do so on the basis of criteria that would currently be off-limits due to EU and other international agreements. For example, Hungary (and the Netherlands, for that matter) should have the right to say yes to Christians and no to Muslims. But as far as I'm concerned most people from within the EU should be and are welcome here (though Romania and Bulgaria are borderline cases). Europeans have so much in common.

Seeing as there are no Muslims countries in the EU, the Netherlands or Hunary pretty much do have the right to limit immigration by Muslims.

It's also interesting that intra-EU migration has only ever really been an issue in the UK (and Switzerland). Le Pen or Strache's big thing isn't Polish migrants in the way it was for UKIP.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »

Of course not. There are more Muslims with EU citizenship than there are Dutch, and all these people have the right to move around. Not that they are ever collectively going to decide to move to Hungary, but theoretically they do have that right.

How much immigration of Muslims between Western European countries is there though? I mean, Muslims living France get blamed for about half the crime in the Geneva region (Roma get blamed for the other half), but that was something I always thought was quite specific to the region. I would have assumed that most Turkish or Moroccans in Holland migrated directly rather than via another part of Europe?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies