NYT - 2013/17 comparison - Bernie, Paul, Amash hold same stance, others flipped
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:05:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT - 2013/17 comparison - Bernie, Paul, Amash hold same stance, others flipped
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYT - 2013/17 comparison - Bernie, Paul, Amash hold same stance, others flipped  (Read 680 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:17:13 AM »

Military Intervention in Syria after Gas Attack -

GOP -
Rubio - 2013 Oppose, 2017 Support
Paul Ryan - 2013 Oppose, 2017 Support
Mitch McConnell - 2013 Oppose, 2017 Support
Bob Corker - 2013 Support, 2017 Need Oversight

Dem -
Pelosi - 2013 Support, 2017 Need oversight
Schumer - 2013 Support, 2017 Need oversight
Tim Kaine - 2013 Support, 2017 Need oversight

People who have the same stance -

Rand Paul - Oppose

2013: Bombing Syria increases the likelihood of additional gas attacks..may increase civilian deaths, may increase instability in the Middle East and may draw Russia & Iran further into this civil war.

2017:  Our prior interventions in this region have done nothing to make us safer, and Syria will be no different.

Red. Amash - Oppose

2013: It's our resources and our sons and daughters who end up fighting these wars.

2017:Atrocities in Syria cannot justify departure from Constitution, which vests in Congress power to commence war.

Bernie Sanders - Skeptical

2013: I need to hear more from the president as to why he believes it is in the best interests of the United States to intervene in Syria's bloody and complicated civil war.

2017: I’m deeply concerned that these strikes could lead to the United States once again being dragged back into the quagmire of long-term military engagement in the Middle East

Ofcourse this is ignoring the warmongers who wanted to go further in both cases

McCain & Graham - Go further

2013: We cannot in good conscience support isolated military strikes in Syria that are not part of an overall strategy that can change the momentum on the battlefield.

2017:Building on tonight’s credible first step, we must finally learn the lessons of history and ensure that tactical success leads to strategic progress.

Full Article -Contains detailed quotes of everyone including many other politicians -

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/07/us/politics/congress-quotes-on-syria-airstrikes.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:28:32 AM »

I don't really call those dems "flipping" because in 2013 Obama went to congress while Trump didn't
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:40:30 AM »

I wouldn't say the support -> oversight people 100% flip flopped, maybe just a half flip flop, considering who the President is and how it all went down I'm not surprised they want oversight. But yeah, McCain and Graham are the worst.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »

I'm glad to see Rand and Amash are at least somewhat principled.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »

Russia seemed prepared to cut loose Assad in 2013, but now that he has the upper hand, they're holding on with a death grip.
rob in cal
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »

I'm going to bet the house that Tulsi Gabbard is holding the same stance.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 10:14:24 PM »

Military Intervention in Syria after Gas Attack -

McCain & Graham - Go further

2013: We cannot in good conscience support isolated military strikes in Syria that are not part of an overall strategy that can change the momentum on the battlefield.

2017:Building on tonight’s credible first step, we must finally learn the lessons of history and ensure that tactical success leads to strategic progress.

Full Article -Contains detailed quotes of everyone including many other politicians -

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/07/us/politics/congress-quotes-on-syria-airstrikes.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0
I knew McCain and Graham would love what Trump did to Syria.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies