50+ Cruise Missiles just launched and hit Syria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:48:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  50+ Cruise Missiles just launched and hit Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: 50+ Cruise Missiles just launched and hit Syria  (Read 20315 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2017, 10:33:59 PM »

For the record, I fully support this.

I hope my fellow leftists don't go back into full reflexive isolationist mode.

Personally, I'm not opposed to this strike or even similar ones that send the message to al-Assad that chemical attacks are intolerable. However, I'd be adamantly opposed to a full-scale intervention.

We should have gone into it in 2013. You're right that now is probably too late to do much good.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2017, 10:35:44 PM »

May the Devil take the soul of Bashir Assad -- now.

I'm not going to predict how well this goes.

...What did we do to Satan Hussein when he gassed the Kurds? Nothing.  

This is what we did when he gassed the Iranian troops.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2017, 10:38:02 PM »

This is all about an approval bump - and judging by some of the spineless responses from anti-Trump posters in this thread, it's going to work.

What a bunch of suckers. Roll Eyes

Damn right.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2017, 10:39:56 PM »

I don't think this is in our long term interests to get involved in the civil war. However if we are doing Tomahawk strikes to retaliate against Assad gassing innocent children through chemical warfare to send a message about his behavior then I support this. Fundamentally we should intervene when using US military resources align with our national security interests and moral values.

Boots on the ground should be done through an international coalition however (led by the United States).
Hollywood
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2017, 10:41:23 PM »

This is all about an approval bump - and judging by some of the spineless responses from anti-Trump posters in this thread, it's going to work.

What a bunch of suckers. Roll Eyes

^^^

It certainly looks as though it feels good to cheer on and pretend that this is meaningful in any positive way, though. God bless those troops! God bless American values! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Is this not good?  Have Democrats changed their story?  Is this not what's good for the world?  Assad crossed Obama's "Red Line".  Donald Trump just attacked Syria for crossing the "Red Line".  He just attacked a Russian Ally.  What the F### is wrong here?  This morning, leading Democrats were criticizing the President for not taking action... for not attacking... for criticizing Obama for not reacting in a similar situation.  What the F### happened in the last 18 hours?  

Oh that's right.  Partisan Hackery happened.  
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2017, 10:42:08 PM »

I guess naive leftism really does devolve into neoconservatism in the end - empirical fact exists in the social sciences after all.

Being lectured about naiveté and the empirical foundation of my field of study by an economist is pretty hilarious.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2017, 10:48:10 PM »

Cross-posting this rant I made on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/jccoleman/posts/10208830415014056
Hollywood
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2017, 10:51:53 PM »

I guess naive leftism really does devolve into neoconservatism in the end - empirical fact exists in the social sciences after all.

Being lectured about naiveté and the empirical foundation of my field of study by an economist is pretty hilarious.

Lectured? Its one sentence dude. Social Science is only a field of study for the gravely under-educated undergraduates.  Study all you want.  Some people actually apply the principles of social science.  
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »

I disagree with your overall point, but yes, the hypocrisy is disgusting. I'm noticing among former Cruz and Rubio people, there is universal support. Also copious references to Israel for some reason. With Trump folks, it's evenly split. The younger white male Trump guys all seem to be pissed. The older woman Trump supporters I know are on the "wave that flag" bandwagon right now.

That's just my anecdotal social media survey.
Hollywood
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2017, 10:53:59 PM »

I disagree with your overall point, but yes, the hypocrisy is disgusting. I'm noticing among former Cruz and Rubio people, there is universal support. Also copious references to Israel for some reason. With Trump folks, it's evenly split. The younger white male Trump guys all seem to be pissed. The older woman Trump supporters I know are on the "wave that flag" bandwagon right now.

That's just my anecdotal social media survey.

Trump is Trump.  The Republicans are Republicans.  Conflating the person with party is folly.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2017, 10:59:48 PM »

No Trump supporters are actually gonna get off the train after their post-attack outrage. They're going to remain Trumpians because the balance of what he's done is agreeable (to date).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2017, 11:03:27 PM »

No Trump supporters are actually gonna get off the train after their post-attack outrage. They're going to remain Trumpians because the balance of what he's done is agreeable (to date).
Well even if this mission was botched I wouldn't start calling for his impeachment. He'd have to get us bogged down there in the same way we were in Iraq circa 2005 in order for me to get of the train (in which case I'll jump off).
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2017, 11:07:37 PM »

Well even if this mission was botched I wouldn't start calling for his impeachment. He'd have to get us bogged down there in the same way we were in Iraq circa 2005 in order for me to get of the train (in which case I'll jump off).

Yeah I don't see him doing that. I don't see a long term strategy here or whatever but I don't see him getting us bogged down in Syria.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2017, 11:12:03 PM »

Lectured? Its one sentence dude. Social Science is only a field of study for the gravely under-educated undergraduates.  Study all you want.  Some people actually apply the principles of social science. 

And now for some critical theory...

*game
swf541

« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2017, 11:19:30 PM »

Syrian brigadier general killed in US strike
http://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2017/7-april-saa-brigader-general-sharaf-khalil-ibrahim-killed
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2017, 11:21:05 PM »

Hollywood
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2017, 11:21:55 PM »

Lectured? Its one sentence dude. Social Science is only a field of study for the gravely under-educated undergraduates.  Study all you want.  Some people actually apply the principles of social science. 

No my friend.  Its just criticism.  Critical Theory is just a to describe analysis.  I would have thought someone that studied social sciences in undergraduate school was aware of this distinction.
Rjjr77
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2017, 11:25:28 PM »

*game
First one who mentions Nash wins poseur of the year
Hollywood
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2017, 11:27:08 PM »

*game
First one who mentions Nash wins poseur of the year

I love dinosaurs!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2017, 11:27:55 PM »

Yeah... as I suspected there's no way there weren't people killed in this attack.
swf541

« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2017, 11:29:06 PM »

Pretty much as said prior the guy saying there was no one killed was not reputable.....

Anyways very curious to see the Iranian and Syrian reaction tomorrow
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2017, 11:34:46 PM »

Yeah I don't see him doing that. I don't see a long term strategy here or whatever but I don't see him getting us bogged down in Syria.

I don't either. Trump doesn't have the attention span for it.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »

A quagmire is a situation which is hard to get out of and only gets worse the longer you stay in- think Iraq.
I don't know much about iraq, i was too young to like know/understand. All i know is we asserted ourselves, got into some fights, and it was a bad like war. I think. Not even sure if it was a war, or if we won.

At risk of feeding trolls, although I don't automatically assume that new posters are such...

Here is a friend of mine that died in Iraq in '04 as part of the Rumsfeld "stop-loss" deal, and lack of funding for up-armored Humvees, combined with assigned the best trained US State National Guard units to fulfill what would normally be a professional US Military force vs units typically better trained and equipped to deal with natural disasters, civil unrest and the like....

You sound way too young to remember the 2nd Iraq War, let alone the 1st Iraq War, but maybe you should do a bit of research on the topic before posting on certain topics... I will happily send you a reading list on the long and complicated US relationship with Iraq, as well as the two recent wars and occupation of that nation if you would like....

Might take a few days of intensive reading, but hey you should get some extra credit compared to your peers if you actually spend some time doing some research into this topic...

Meanwhile, here's a fallen Hero, who was a good friend of mine from my mid 20s...

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-spc-eric-s-mckinley/263041
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2017, 12:13:28 AM »

Another one of my least favorite people sends his approval:

Pretty cool that all it takes to win over the #Resistance crowd is dropping bombs on another Muslim nation.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2017, 12:14:37 AM »

Agreed. I think he'd be too worried about an Iraq war redux. Plus his personal interests are much more geared towards domestic policy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies