50+ Cruise Missiles just launched and hit Syria (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:40:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  50+ Cruise Missiles just launched and hit Syria (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 50+ Cruise Missiles just launched and hit Syria  (Read 20340 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 06, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »
« edited: April 06, 2017, 08:37:44 PM by Blue3 »

50 Cruise Missiles just launched and hit Syria

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-launches-missiles-syrian-base-after-chemical-weapons-attack-n743636
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:19:46 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2017, 08:24:00 PM by Blue3 »

Breaking News on Cable Channels

http://www.nbcnews.com/

edit:

Now an article, added to OP
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-launches-missiles-syrian-base-after-chemical-weapons-attack-n743636
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »

I'm not passing final judgment on this yet... but from what we know so far, I support it. It was limited, precise, and relatively fast in response to the chemical attack. It attacked the specific airfield that was used in the chemical attack, it seems. I need more information, but I'm going to bed now. Right now, it seems like a good move. We need to stand up to mass murder. Hundreds of thousands have died in Syria. The victims are as human as you and me. My empathy doesn't end at our borders. Assad has attacked his own people unchallenged for too long.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »

There is no right answer here. I don't get why people are freaking out so much.

The right answer was to not escalate this.

Assad already did that by gassing his own people.

We are NOT the world police. We shouldn't be escalating international strife unilaterally like this. There wasn't even debate in Congress.

We can't be world policemen, and expect to solve every problem in the world, or even get involved in everything in the world. But when something reaches a certain magnitude with an immediate crisis, we need to do something. When it became clear years ago that tens of thousands (even without WMDs) were dying in Syria, we needed to do something. And with hindsight, it might have also prevented ISIS from filling the vacuum, the international refugee crisis stemming from Syria, and the xenophobic/isolationist/anti-Muslim backlash that has rushed the Nationalist Right to power across Europe and the United States.

One of Obama's biggest mistakes.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:12:08 PM »

So no one died, some military infrastructure was destroyed, and a message was sent. Not seeing a downside here.

The "message" being what exactly? The war on terror is borderline permanent? I think most of us suspected that already.
This wasn't against a terrorist group, unless that's how you label Assad's government.

The message is: this time, we mean it when we say "don't gas your own people," and there WILL be consequences.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 01:08:37 AM »

The base is up and operational again and the Syrians continue strikes as if nothing happened. I don't see this as anything other than political theater.
The objective wasn't to destroy the base, or the runway. Just some hangars, weapon depots, fuel depots. They purposely decided not to destroy the runway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies