The 2016 Maine margin was the same as the 2012 Ohio margin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:57:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  The 2016 Maine margin was the same as the 2012 Ohio margin
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 2016 Maine margin was the same as the 2012 Ohio margin  (Read 1404 times)
Plankton5165

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:57:12 PM »

When rounded to the nearest 0.1%.

Surprised?
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:05:48 PM »

Well it's notable because Maine wasn't considered a swing state yet Ohio was.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 11:43:48 PM »

Two of the most shocking state results in 2016 was Trump's 8% margin in OH (biggest margin by any candidate in that state since HW Bush 1988) and the 3% margin in Maine.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »

It was pretty surprising, but I would point out that Montana was even closer in 2008. I only mention this because I think that Maine was close in 2016 for similar reasons that Montana was close in 2008.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2017, 08:16:31 PM by Zyzz »

It was pretty surprising, but I would point out that Montana was even closer in 2008. I only mention this because I think that Maine was close in 2016 for similar reasons that Montana was close in 2008.

Is the future of the GOP Trumpianism or Randianism? Tough to say if Trump is a one or two time fluke or the future of the GOP.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 02:22:52 AM »

I;m not totally shocked nor surprised...

ME-02 is a lot like OR-04 once you subtract Eugene Oregon.

The dramatic decline in the Pulp & Paper Industry has hit Northern Maine very hard, just as it has in many similar smaller mill towns in Oregon.

Ohio is obviously a much more complicated state, since you have essentially six different regions of the state, but still it is absolutely clear that Trump's rhetoric about unfair trade agreements and competition from China hit home in a wide variety of heavily Blue Collar Manufacturing regions throughout the country that have felt abandoned by both Democrats and Republicans alike.

When people feel that both political parties have sold them down the river and crucified them upon the sacred cross called "Free Trade" to line the pockets of the financial institutions and the big banks, is it any wonder that Populism of both the Left and the Right exploded in 2016?

Although most of Atlas lives within the safe comfort zones of large Metro Areas and academia bubbles, I do not...

Democratic and Republican political leaders alike have essentially screwed over entire industries and regions because of some bizarre fetish involving academic and economic theories that elevate the concept of "Free Trade" above the actual impacts of those whom live and work in communities where there is frequently only one major employer or one major industry.

This is part of the resentment that Trump was able to successfully tap into, and by not only calling out NAFTA, and also unfair trade practices from China (MFN was a George Senior & Republican initiative) but also accentuating issues that the Labor Movement has been talking about for decades, and is also part of the reason that Bernie Sanders performed so well in the Democratic Primaries of '16.

In retrospect, it's actually quite fascinating that in 2016 the Republican Candidate won the Presidential election running on a platform fundamentally opposed to "Free Trade".

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies