Martin O’Malley sounds like a fortune cookie (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:57:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Martin O’Malley sounds like a fortune cookie (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Martin O’Malley sounds like a fortune cookie  (Read 4264 times)
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« on: April 23, 2017, 09:30:02 PM »

He sounds like a parody of Jerry Brown circa 1977.

And there is everything right with that.

Nothing wrong with Jerry Brown, I'm very proud to call Moonbeam 2.0 my governor.

I wonder if we'll all be looking back at this thread and laughing after it gets bumped on January 20, 2021 while he's sworn in as president.

The world can only hope.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 07:04:54 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2017, 07:08:48 PM by Celes »

That's not some off-base analogy just for the sake of sounding profound. That's a direct, if literary, jab at Trump. The purpose of that statement is to tell the audience that looting is all Trump has ever known how to do by bringing up one of his most famous business ventures and then to compare that to the way he's handling national economics now that he's been put somewhat in charge of them.

How is this cringey or noteworthy at all? This is one of his more redeeming qualities; the guy isn't willing to beat you over the head with obvious, dry diatribes. What O'Malley is trying to do is what he learned from Gary Hart -- that is, practice politics by rhetoric but backed by fact. Too many politicians do it the other way around, presenting cold, cherrypicked objective truth and backing it up with misleading, intellectually bankrupt and ideologically-driven narrative. He's trying to be a populist wonk. You can argue he isn't doing a good job of it, but I fail to see what's so apparently embarrassing about this that we've now devoted over a page and a half to the fact that the guy just speaks very dramatically.

Martin O'Malley will never be president not because he's somehow a bad fit for the office, but because the American electorate prefers an intellectually-drunken firebrand masquerading as a rationalist to a genuine theorist simply playing up his theatrics for a crowd that refuses to listen. It's all about shiny objects with primary voters these days and has been since Reagan.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »

Martin O'Malley is a careerist. When he was mayor of baltimore, all he cared about was moving up the ladder and becoming the gov. of maryland. He wants to become president so he can move up the ladder.

I certainly didn't mind my quality of life going up as a direct result of his policies regardless of him being kind of self-important.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies