Which of these judicial philosophies describes Gorsuch?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:18:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these judicial philosophies describes Gorsuch?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which one?
originalist like Scalia

dominionist like Rick Santorum and Roy Moore

pseudo-originalist like Alito

conservative living constitution like Anthony Kennedy

establishment conservative like Chief Justice Roberts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Which of these judicial philosophies describes Gorsuch?  (Read 1666 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:12:39 PM »

Which of these 5?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »

These descriptions are terrible and few if any fit. Scalia was not an originalist, dominionism doesn't fit as a judicial philosophy, establishment conservatism has no meaning in a judicial context, and proto-originalist is useless as well.

Gorsuch's past work indicates he'll be a legislative supremacist and probably a textialist. Therefore, Scalia is the closest answer.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:24:55 PM »

These descriptions are terrible and few if any fit. Scalia was not an originalist, dominionism doesn't fit as a judicial philosophy, establishment conservatism has no meaning in a judicial context, and proto-originalist is useless as well.

Gorsuch's past work indicates he'll be a legislative supremacist and probably a textialist. Therefore, Scalia is the closest answer.
I don't know how to label Roberts. Dominionism isn't a judicial philosophy but Santorum and Moore use it as one. I don't know how to label Alito. Alito seems to be like a Scalia who is not quite as textualist.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:40:11 PM »

I don't know how to label Roberts. Dominionism isn't a judicial philosophy but Santorum and Moore use it as one. I don't know how to label Alito. Alito seems to be like a Scalia who is not quite as textualist.

Scalia is ABSOLUTELY a textualist; he is THE BEST example of a textualist. Here's an (unfriendly) article highlighting that. Thomas is the true originalist and there are few (if any) like him in the federal judiciary.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2017, 11:19:45 PM by ERM64man »

Scalia is ABSOLUTELY a textualist; he is THE BEST example of a textualist. Here's an (unfriendly) article highlighting that. Thomas is the true originalist and there are few (if any) like him in the federal judiciary.
You misunderstood me. Scalia is a textualist. I was talking about Alito. I meant Alito is sort of textualist but not as much as Scalia. How can Alito be described? Is Alito a pseudo-textualist?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 01:26:18 AM »

Why is Scalia considered more conservative then Clarence Thomas even though Clarence Thomas was way more conservative .

By the way Scalia isn't a orignalist otherwise he would have voted in favor of Raich in Gonazales vs Raich .

I consider him a strict constitutionist which is different then orignalist
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 01:37:25 AM »

Citizens United is not a textualist decision.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »

Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 08:55:42 PM by Dereich »

Citizens United is not a textualist decision.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Scalia's concurrence has his trademark close scrutiny of text. Actually, in general Citizens United is a bad example of Scalia's constitutional analysis as it was primarily written to counter Justice Steven's originalist dissent and so in general reads more like an originalist attack rather than a textual one. Scalia's dissents are almost always better than his concurrences.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:38 PM »

I think he's closest to Alito, which is a nightmare for anyone on the left. I may not have been a fan of Scalia, but I did appreciate many of his rulings and those with which he joined. His form of originalism was at least consistent and wasn't one-sided. I cannot say the same of Alito, and I'm extremely unlikely to the same of Gorsuch.

If Kennedy or one of the liberals is replaced by someone like him, I think Democrats need to seriously consider expanding the Court when they get power again.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »

Legislative supremacism is not textualism, and Gorsuch is neither.

Somewhere between Roberts, Kennedy, and Alito. Gorsuch is clearly an independent thinker and may very well be a supporter of the judicial ideologies of federalism. I believe he considers each case on a case-by-case basis as well. Overall, rather similar to Sandra Day O'Connor with less ideological factors.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies