Bolton will be "weak" because he was appointed, not confirmed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:01:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bolton will be "weak" because he was appointed, not confirmed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bolton will be "weak" because he was appointed, not confirmed  (Read 3310 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2005, 03:20:54 PM »

How is this the case?  France doesn't do confirmations either.  Is their diplomat "weak?"
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 03:23:19 PM »

Weakness, if any, will arise from the process, and the attacks of the Democrats and Voinovich.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 03:59:25 PM »

I think this guy says it best:

"Let's not prejudge his behavior. Let's wait for how he comes and what he says here. ... The tendency here at the United Nations is for us to work together. So I hope that this general tendency will prevail." — Brazil's U.N. Ambassador Ronaldo Mota Sardenberg

Unless, of course, you are drunk like Kennedy when he says:

"The abuse of power and the cloak of secrecy from the White House continues. ... It's a devious maneuver that evades the constitutional requirement of Senate consent and only further darkens the cloud over Mr. Bolton's credibility at the U.N." — Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass.

I'll stick with the words of an actual ambassador who is "open-minded."  Of course, this too might be the best quote of the day:

"We filibustered the nomineee. We exercised our perogative under the law. He exercised his perogative under the law." Sen. Lincoln Chafee , R-R.I.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 04:09:16 PM »

It will be interesting to see if the Dems take it out on Roberts.
skybridge
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 04:13:06 PM »

How is this the case?  France doesn't do confirmations either.  Is their diplomat "weak?"

Bolton won't be weak. Those who guessed Bush would govern moderately because he won so narrowly in 2000 guessed wrong. Nevertheless, it's an incredibly ignorant appointment by Bush. Oh well, the rednecks have to have their president too...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 04:21:20 PM »

Do you Republicans actually approve of Bolton?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 04:23:57 PM »

Yes, I approve of Bolton.  About time we stop playing pussyfoot with NKorea and Iran!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 04:27:20 PM »

Yes, I approve of Bolton.  About time we stop playing pussyfoot with NKorea and Iran!

You are far to the right of several Republican Senators. It's time that the Republicans on this board admitted that they are far to the right of the average American. 86% of Americans want a higher minimum wage. What fraction of people on this board want one?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 04:28:09 PM »

Its amazing that someone as totally imept as Bolton gets the appointment.  Their woulsn't have been a fillibuster if Bush released the documents that were asked.   The reason he didn't release them can really only be explained by the fact that their must have been something quite damaging in those docyuments which would have caused more Republicans to bolt than VoVoinovich (their were quite a few that were leaning towards supporting him & that were on the fence) & aanything dmaging in the records could have cause Chfee & other to bolt the other way.  Not to mention on Thursday we know that Bolton lied on a matter of National Security under oath to the Senate Committee.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 04:28:25 PM »

No, I'd much prefer Patterson or someone who isn't an abrasive Bush tool. Failing that, Bolton will suffice.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 04:31:03 PM »

You are far to the right of several Republican Senators.

LOL!  Well, that would mean I am in agreement with the VAST MAJORITY of Republican Senators!
RBH

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »

Bolton won't be weak. Those who guessed Bush would govern moderately because he won so narrowly in 2000 guessed wrong. Nevertheless, it's an incredibly ignorant appointment by Bush. Oh well, the rednecks have to have their president too...

Yeah.. that whole "Uniter" thing was a good ong.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 04:36:08 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2005, 04:45:17 PM by jmfcst »

Yeah.. that whole "Uniter" thing was a good one.

*sob*...*sob*...PLEASE STOP!...*sobs some more*...YOURE MAKING ME FEEL SO GUILTY!...*sob...sob...sob*

"Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets." (Jesus Christ, Luke 6:26)

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 04:41:09 PM »

Bolton will not be weak.  The authority of a UN Ambassador stems from the fact that he is the representative of the President of the United States to the world body.  The manner of his appointment does not change this central fact, it neither adds nor detracts.  Bolton is still the representative of the President of the United States to the United Nations.

You are far to the right of several Republican Senators. It's time that the Republicans on this board admitted that they are far to the right of the average American. 86% of Americans want a higher minimum wage. What fraction of people on this board want one?

How many Americans favor gay marriage?  How many on this board do?

John Ford wins!  What's my prize?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 04:42:50 PM »

The French are just naturally weak.
RBH

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 04:44:11 PM »

ong?

Of course, I meant one

Anyways.

What specific plans does John Bolton have to "reform the UN"?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 04:48:34 PM »

Cutting off ten floors is one I've heard
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 04:48:49 PM »

ong?
What specific plans does John Bolton have to "reform the UN"?

He will explicitly declare it irrelevant, kinda like when the Bush Admin spokesman declared Gore irrelevant, right before Gore announced he would not be running.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 04:59:34 PM »

Bolton will not be weak.  The authority of a UN Ambassador stems from the fact that he is the representative of the President of the United States to the world body.  The manner of his appointment does not change this central fact, it neither adds nor detracts.  Bolton is still the representative of the President of the United States to the United Nations.

Just because this board is similar to the nation of a whole as a whole on one issue does not mean that they are far to the right of the nation as a whole on many other issues.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 05:01:43 PM »

A perfect graph of how uneducated the polling community can be on the effects of raising the minimun (read that as "not living") wage.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 05:04:35 PM »

A perfect graph of how uneducated the polling community can be on the effects of raising the minimun (read that as "not living") wage.

It didn't ask for Republicans elites like MODU to talk about how uninformed people are, it asked for what people wanted.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 05:05:38 PM »

Just because this board is similar to the nation of a whole as a whole on one issue does not mean that they are far to the right of the nation as a whole on many other issues.

...and Bush is the first president to be reelected while increasing his party's power in both the House and Senate since FDR in 1936...get over it, Kerry lost!
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 05:05:57 PM »

What I'm saying is that the board is to the left of the country on gay marriage.  We're left on some things, right on others, invalidating jfern's point entirely.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 05:07:28 PM »

What I'm saying is that the board is to the left of the country on gay marriage.  We're left on some things, right on others, invalidating jfern's point entirely.

Are members of this board really to the left of center of this? A rather sizeable minority of American support it, and for people 18-29 that is actually a majority.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005, 05:08:16 PM »

Suprise, this board accurately reflects the average hardcore internet users philosphy. Meaning what exactly, the average forumite is a libertarian while the average American is a populist. Big suprise that we're left of average on social issues and right of average on economic issues.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies