Connecticut's governor to constituents: Get out of here before you die!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:21:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Connecticut's governor to constituents: Get out of here before you die!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Connecticut's governor to constituents: Get out of here before you die!  (Read 2301 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »

Of course, state taxes are very easy for the rich to circumvent.  My next door neighbors are very wealthy, and have their official residence in Florida, not Connecticut.  So unless Florida has this tax, they won't pay it.  And others will follow suit, denying the state the money they "need."  The liberals who pass these types of laws never learn.

So basically you support the federal estate tax?

If they are that damned rich, they can have their official residence in the Cayman Islands or Andorra or someother tax heaven.

So? The Clinton adminstration was going after these tax havens.  Bush reversed that.

Yes, those countries would eliminate the basis of their own economy and be doomed to eternal poverty so that Bill Clinton could have his way.

You could get around it by passing the right American laws. Nice of you to try to avoid this solution.

If the republicans wanted to pass those kinds of laws, you'd be crying it was an infringment on the "right to privacy". Plus I support all possible means of evading abusive taxes.

Stupid straw man argument. No I would not. What are abusive taxes? Ones that don't  over the poor?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 01:28:19 PM »

Most people could care less about a 16% on estates over $2 million. Even in CT, $2 million is a lot of money.  I wonder if she continues having the lowest disapproval rating in the country.

They'll care more when there are negative effects on their economy.

Like what?

Rich people move out, businesses getting sold and business owners moving out, less business owners and rich people moving in, ect. - all these can affect the economy.

Sounds rather vague. So the rich people move out? They can't take their houses with them.

Don't expect new rich people to move into those houses, and remember that those rich people are taking their money with them - money that they won't be spending any of in Conneticut, money they won't be paying their property taxes in Conneticut with anymore, money Conneticut can't tax at all anymore.
Someone is going to own the land and pay property taxes. You think that everyone will desert CT just because they won't be able to pass on arbitrarily large estates untaxed to the next generation , hurting meritocracy?

I'm not a meritocrat, I'm a libertarian. I care about freedom, not efficiency.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 01:28:57 PM »

Of course, state taxes are very easy for the rich to circumvent.  My next door neighbors are very wealthy, and have their official residence in Florida, not Connecticut.  So unless Florida has this tax, they won't pay it.  And others will follow suit, denying the state the money they "need."  The liberals who pass these types of laws never learn.

If they are that damned rich, they can have their official residence in the Cayman Islands or Andorra or someother tax heaven.

So? The Clinton adminstration was going after these tax havens.  Bush reversed that.

Yes, those countries would eliminate the basis of their own economy and be doomed to eternal poverty so that Bill Clinton could have his way.

You could get around it by passing the right American laws. Nice of you to try to avoid this solution.

If the republicans wanted to pass those kinds of laws, you'd be crying it was an infringment on the "right to privacy". Plus I support all possible means of evading abusive taxes.

Stupid straw man argument. No I would not. What are abusive taxes? Ones that don't  over the poor?

Taxes that serve no useful purpose except social engeneering for instance.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 01:29:12 PM »

Most people could care less about a 16% on estates over $2 million. Even in CT, $2 million is a lot of money.  I wonder if she continues having the lowest disapproval rating in the country.

They'll care more when there are negative effects on their economy.

Like what?

Rich people move out, businesses getting sold and business owners moving out, less business owners and rich people moving in, ect. - all these can affect the economy.

Sounds rather vague. So the rich people move out? They can't take their houses with them.

Don't expect new rich people to move into those houses, and remember that those rich people are taking their money with them - money that they won't be spending any of in Conneticut, money they won't be paying their property taxes in Conneticut with anymore, money Conneticut can't tax at all anymore.
Someone is going to own the land and pay property taxes. You think that everyone will desert CT just because they won't be able to pass on arbitrarily large estates untaxed to the next generation , hurting meritocracy?

I'm thinking that enough rich people will leave that it will hurt the economy, that's all. Certainly you won't see the wealthy retiring in Conneticut if they are worried about their estates being taxed a great deal and thus leaving their kids with less.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005, 01:40:04 PM »

Again, do the states use the federal rate or what?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 01:41:17 PM »

Stupid straw man argument. No I would not. What are abusive taxes? Ones that don't  over the poor?

Requiring those that have benefited more from society and are able to pay more to pay more only makes sense.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 01:43:45 PM »

Requiring those that have benefited more from society and are able to pay more to pay more only makes sense.

What's this society thing you speak off?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 01:44:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Say what?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2005, 01:46:14 PM »

They already pay more via income taxes. Even if it was a flat rate they'd still pay more. I'd also be willing to bet they pay more in sales taxes and property taxes. They pay every tax that normal people have to pay, and usually in greater amounts already, so why should we add a new, special tax just for them?

Also, I'd be willing to bet that in order for them to attain that money in the first place they had to do something to benefit other people in society, so society should maybe pay them back by not taxing them at every possible turn, ne?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2005, 01:50:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Say what?

You know what I said. What is it and why an I indebted to it. And even if I am, what does the state have to do with it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies